Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Anyone else not happy with new iPhone/iPad IOS?

gsciencechick
10 years ago

ARGH, I hate the icons and the color scheme. The icons look cartoonish. Just got a text from my sister, and it is bright green. I don't like the contrast on some things, or lack thereof on some others.

I hope they get enough complaints that they offer some kind of fix or customization.

Comments (46)

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

My dd just downloaded it for me not 5 minutes ago - she couldn't stop raving about how much she loved it. Now you've got me worried. Got to go check it out.

• User
    10 years ago

I love it!
    I love the way it looks and all of the new features.
    No complaints from me.

• jmc01
    10 years ago

No complaints at all from me. In fact, I think the new functionality is great!

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

I find it a little difficult to read, but if you google "iPhone 7 iOS hard to read" you'll find links on how to bold the text, etc. to make it a bit more manageable. I like the new functions, but really don't like how the calendar looks. I need to find a better calendar app.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Not crazy about how it looks but the functionality seems more logical.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

I really hate the fact that you now have to swipe the reverse way to delete or archive on your email. I always swipe wrong. I guess I just need to get used to it.

I don't like the cartoonish quality either. I feel like Steve Jobs would not have approved this.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I haven't downloaded it yet. I just got a new SUV a month ago that works with my iphone and enables me, among other things, to play Pandora through my car speakers. I got an email earlier this week from Toyota that the app designed to work with my SUV is not compatible with the new iOS and that they are working on an upgrade. So if I still want to use this feature with my car, I can't upgrade. Not that I use Pandora that much, but it is a cool feature when I'm sick of listening to the radio play the same songs over and over. So I'm holding out plus I figure I'll wait and see how everyone else gets along using it so that by the time I get around to upgrading, people can tell me how to do all the things I won't know how to do!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Goldgirl, I will try that tomorrow. Thanks. I do like some of the functionality, but it's really the interface I do not like.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Somehow, I do not think it is as intuitive and I think the appearance is more ameteurish. I do love how you close open apps.

I did not want to update the software on my iPad. My 11 yr old son was sitting on the floor last night watching tv with me and handed me my iPad. He said, "look mom, I updated your software for you". It had already started and was too late, so I'm making the best of it.

But, I am going to wait on my iPhone.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I don't think it's that big of a deal. On my iphone anyway. I haven't updated my ipad.

tina

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I updated my ipad and hate it. Trying to avoid updating my phone!

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I dislike the wispy, wimpy font and hollowed out icons for trash, write, etc. I am not updating my phone.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This helped:

Hard to read text

The text under the App icons can be hard to read following the update, particularly with some of the lighter coloured background wallpapers.

This can be improved fairly easily ��" make the text bold by going to Settings, then General, then Accessibility and then turn on Bold Text.

Increasing the contrast can also help the text to stand out a bit more. Again, go to Settings, then Accessibility and then Increase Contrast by turning on the switch.

Here is a link that might be useful: UK articile on iPhone

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I think I figured out what I dislike the most. I was looking at a screen shot photo and the old software was grey and white on the top of my iPad. Now it's black.

It's really annoying.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

What if I want it all in cursive? (okay, just kidding.)

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I updated my iPhone, but not my iPad. I also had to go into Settings and change some things so that I could see it better. I think once I get used to it, it will be fine.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I really don't like it on my iPad at all. It's messy. Steve didn't like messy. He liked elegant. There was a lot of hype, so I went and downloaded it. Even after some customization, I don't think I will ever like it.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Goldgirl, no one has been able to match the calendar application that Palm had, which is why I still have a Palm and use that with my PC to update and print my calendar. I bought a replacement on ebay last year and hope this one will last as long as the previous one!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

So far it's okay for me. I agree, though, that I don't like the changes they made to the calendar. I liked to be able to move a whole month at a time which was much faster than having to scroll and scroll and scroll...

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

I don't like it at all. I have an Ipad 2 and my battery life is now significantly slower. It is also much slower to respond when opening and loading pages. And I keep getting the display at the bottom when I only want to scroll down the page.

I read a review saying most of my complaints are exclusive to older IPads.

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

I'm another one who doesn't care for the changes to the calendar. At. All.

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

I don't care for it. I think it looks like a cheap imitation of windows. Agree w/comments made about Steve Jobs not approving. Not an upgrade, IMO.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, the calendar! Do. not. like.

I have a grad school friend who is an iPhone engineer, but he is more the hardware than software.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Steve must be rolling over in the Cloud as we speak.

• User
    10 years ago

I bolded my text immediately when I upgraded last weekend. And am getting used to the rest of it. It seems to me as though they have made it more like Windows, of all things.

Read on another site someone's complaint that their phone looked like an 11 year old girls. I had to laugh as that's just about true, lol.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Another complaint. I've lost the titles to my home videos. I found a work-around through iTunes, but what a hassle.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

HATE IT.

Unless they can offer me and others with Over-40 eyesight the contrast we need, it will probably be my last iPhone purchase.

It has taken a beautiful product and ruined it.

I want my sticky notes YELLOW!
    I want my calendar in SQUARES!
    I want to be able to READ It.

what a bummer it is.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was in a meeting today where I wanted to use the sticky notes, and I couldn't see them without the yellow lines. That I can't fix.

• User
    10 years ago

I upgraded to a 5S and as with anything that is new I was a little unsure about how I felt; but it's rapidly growing on me. I do like that it has a more bright and cheerful feel. I haven't updated my IPad yet because I've always liked the look of the older version and changing it as well will feel like the end of an era. At least for the most part, the functionality is still very much the same with only a few noticeable changes all of which I really appreciate.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Is there a way to prevent seeing the Apple, Disney, ESPN, and Yahoo icons from appearing every friggin' time I open the iPad?

Got it. Every time you download an update, you have to go to Bookmarks and delete the stuff your update bookmarks.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 11:42

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

After reading what so many of you said, I was hesitant to upgrade, but my son said he is very happy with it, so I suppose I will go ahead with it. Keeping my fingers crossed that I like it, too. If not, I will be back hanging my head in shame for not listening to you all.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Another thing I've noticed is that videos won't load. YouTube, Facebook, Vine, etc...

I am pi****!

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

I saw ios7 on a couple friends' phones & decided since there is no going back to ios6 I'm going to wait to update my iPad and iPhone till they get the kinks ironed out (Apple just released a small security update already). I also noticed oddly that the icons seemed to be...wiggly or vibrating very subtly, which my friends didn't see. There are a lot of people on Apple & Mac support forums taking issue with calendar, notes, and even nausea and headaches (yes, a 'motion sickness' type reaction to icons jiggling & zoom feature). I've only been using Apple products for a couple years but they seem to be good about listening to customers so hopefully additional updates will fix some of these issues.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Jiggling icons?! Rutt-roh, I get motion sickness easily. When I am pre-migraine, I see the flickering on all computer screens. I can't take the chance that jiggling icons won't trigger a migraine.

I'm glad I haven't updated my iPad yet. Maybe I'll wait it out to see what develops.

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

I understand, haven't had a bad migraine in ages (thank heavens) but still avoid those triggers. Yes, believe it or not, nausea, headaches, motion sickness & vertigo are popping up in news now. I've linked below...

Here is a link that might be useful: iOS7 and physical complaints in the news

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

So, Apple graduates from offering apps for tracking migraines to actually causing migraines. That's rich.

• User
    10 years ago

Lol kitchen, that is funny!

Am I crazy or is there an app opportunity here for something that lets you change the look of your phone to the old interface? Or different interfaces? Not just background color but choosing from among many different overlays that change icon colors and even the orientation of the keyboard? They put the period right next to the space bar and now everything I write has a period between words.... That's got to change.... Apple, are u listening? Who are the beta testers of these changes, 10 year olds??

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

That was my first thought when I started reading complaints, app developers will be all over it & go 'retro'. Rumor had it on some boards that iOS7, when in beta phase, was being designed to compete with android (never saw an android in action myself, so don't know if it now compares). I'm still going to hold out but the only drawback to that is most app updates are going to be for 7 and if one isn't careful could accidentally update some apps that won't behave on 6.

Still hoping Apple listens, this has been the first smart phone that I haven't wanted to pitch out a window at 60 mph (as opposed to my prior blackberrys, which made me go bat crazy sooner or later).

This post was edited by moonshadow on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 15:50

• heather483
    10 years ago

Hello, long-time lurker here. I saw the tip to switch to bold print and am so grateful for that! There is also a way to reduce the wiggly element--Settings, General, Accessibility, Reduce Motion, move that switch to "on" and it helps a lot. I still think the icons look too cartoonish but am getting used to it. We will all have to upgrade eventually, since all the apps will be upgrading. Luckily we can all share these helpful tips!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I've not had any jiggling, motion, etc. But I would like to get those Disney, Yahoo, etc. icons off!

tina

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Based on what I've heard on Facebook and here I will not be upgrading my iPhone or iPad. Sounds horrible.

What does the calendar look like if not squares? :(

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I dimmed the contrast, reduced the motion, emboldened the script, deleted the Disney bookmarks, and I still think Rainbow Bright designed this version.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

The calendar is rows Allison. At least the monthly view.

It's not horrible, just needs a few tweeks. Like someone mentioned, we will need to update sooner or later as aps will.

tina

• jrueter
    10 years ago

It took me a little while to get used to the new interface, especially deleting emails by swiping the other way, but now I really like it. Some of the new features are great like being able to access camera, calculator and music controls without unlocking. Siri seems to work a little better too.

The calendar was one of the hardest for me to get used to, because I use it alot. Navigation isn't quite as easy as before, but you can access the month view by touching the name of the month in the upper left corner and access the list view by touching the magnifying glass. This gives the search bar with the list of activities below.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

I think whoever designed Windows 8 got fired and went to Apple and rolled out iOS7. I WAS a huge, huge, huge APPLE fan. I'm looking at a Galaxy tablet now. The first time I turn on the iPad and take a screenshot..a common thing I do.. the iPad turns OFF instead. My next attempt is successful, but if I turn the device off till later and pull it out again, the same thing happens. Weird. Another thing...my iPhone 4 now only charges to 99%, not 100%. I'm very sad about this "upgrade."

I don't believe in coincidences....

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to turn off iMessage on my phone and use simple text. None of my iMessages were getting through to DH and a work colleague.

Go into your Settings, scroll to Messages, and turn off iMessage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo story on iMessage