Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

Overactive Bladder

jlsch
10 years ago

Does anyone have this? Just wondering what you can tell me about it and what has worked for treating it?

Comments (13)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Since I am a believer that what we eat has profound effects on our health and how we feel, I would start there. Here's an article that seems pretty good:

Here is a link that might be useful: overactive bladder tips

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't have over active bladder, but DH does. There are drugs, be he has not been happy with them. He does go everywhere prepared though, and knowing that helps him relax and eases the situation some. Stress definitely aggravates it. But his situation is complicated by an enlarged prostate, which of course ladies don't have to worry about.

I have read about bladder training, but it requires a discipline that DH is not willing to go through.

I do have to do my kegels on a regular basis or else the sudden sneeze or cough can have unpleasant consequences.

• lkplatow
    10 years ago

I was having issues with bladder leakage and "urge to go" over the past year or so -- not to the point where I would seek medical treatment, but definitely to the annoying stage. I ended up seeking medical treatment for other more annoying symptoms and ended up using bioidentical compounded estradiol cream (basically hormone replacement, but using versions that are identical to what your body makes, not synthetic stuff cooked up by a pharma company.) Anyhow, in addition to helping the issues I was seeking treatment for, I notice that I no longer have the bladder problems I was having and I'm also sleeping a whole heck of a lot better at night. You might want to read a book called "Screaming to be Heard" by Elizabeth Vliet -- she talks about all the medical disorders (depression, overactive bladder, fibromyalgia, migraines, etc) that can be helped or cured by proper hormone balance. Pharma companies would much rather sell you a pill that you take every day for the rest of your life than have you solve your problem with your own hormones, unfortunately. And since they're the ones who sponsor seminars to educate doctors, most docs know a lot more about the pills than your hormones.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

lkp----so where did you obtain the cream?

• User
    10 years ago

Just throwing these articles out there to help clear up misconceptions about the "safety" of bio-identical. No intent to create controversy but it never hurts to have as much info as possible. c

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lauren-streicher-md/buyer-beware-bioidentical-hormones-myths

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvard Medical article

• lkplatow
    10 years ago

joanie - I see a gyn who prescribed it and I get it from a compounding pharmacy. I did have to see quite a few doctors though - the first couple either told me there was nothing wrong with me, I was just getting old and better get used to it, or wanted to put me on the birth control pill.

trailrunner - I am not saying the bioidenticals are completely safe, but I do believe they are safer -- much safer -- than premarin. I also believe (from doing a ton of reading and research) that using it via skin cream prevents a lot of the side effects one gets from taking bioidentical estrogen orally (namely increased risk of blood clots and stroke). I resisted taking estrogen for over a year because I was scared, but I did a ton of reading on this and feel that the benefits for me outweigh the risks. Each woman should do her own research because they may not feel the same way. But if you are at all interested in exploring the topic, I highly recommend starting with Dr. Vliet's books -- I think I've read just about every menopause and hormone book out there (many of which propose completely opposite approaches), and hers makes the most sense to me.

This post was edited by lkplatow on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 14:01

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Having naturally birthed 5 kids, this is a huge side effect! I find myself wearing the Tena pads which are better than other brands with absorption. A sneeze can erupt the bladder like a volcano! I will NOT take medications or have the surgical mesh surgery as both have been touted as having horrific side effects. I've been drinking more than an average amount of cranberry juice over the last 3 years, but still need my morning coffee and a nice glass of orange juice occasionally. Spices, not too many in my diet, and I do eat veggies/fruits almost daily.

As for creams or other alternative treatments, I'm a VERY firm believer they do work. My youngest DD was suffering from horrible anxiety and depression after losing her father to a 7 month illness, and having a baby during the same time frame. Her dr tried her on several different drugs, some increasing the symptoms and making her want to 'jump out of her skin'. Being only 100 lbs. already, her appetite was affected and she was losing weight also. The whole ordeal became a vicious cycle, going on for several months in a downward spiral, while I worried about suicide. While taking her little guy to a special program he needed, she started talking to one of the administrators who told her about a homeopathic practioner who helped her for a similar problem. He immediately did a saliva test(something md's don't do)and sent it out to a lab. The results came back and her hormones were completely out of wack, and his recommendation was hormones which were not synthetic, no drugs for anxiety or depression. She takes them on a regular basis and has said she feels better than she has felt in years, having battled depression/ anxiety for years.

I never would have thought an overactive bladder could be a 'side effect' of hormones out of balance. I'll be making an appointment with her practioner since I've seen how she as been helped. I'm a believer!

• lkplatow
    10 years ago

patty_cakes,

In your case, having birthed 5 kids, there is probably a physical reason for your bladder issues (though if they've gotten worse as you have gotten older, there may be a hormonal component as well.) In my case, I had 2 kids via c-section with no labor at all so I figured I was going to be fine in the bladder department at least (we won't talk about my scarred up stomach, LOL!). But when I hit about 40 years old, I started having all the same leaking issues that my friends who had birthed their kids naturally had. Needless to say, that was a letdown. But as I said, since being on the estrogen, things are much better in that department. The book I referenced explains exactly how estrogen affects the bladder (and really, all the pelvic muscles). It's really amazing how much estrogen actually affects -- I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it myself.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

There is a difference between overactive bladder and stress incontinence. Stress incontinence is due to the sphincter muscles not being strong enough to retain the urine during stress such as coughing, sneezing, laughing. Overactive bladder or urgency is when, even if the bladder isn't that full, it sends the signal that it must be emptied immediately, whether one is in a position to do so or not....one literally cannot hold it.

Non Rx treatment of the former includes Kegel exercises to increase muscle strength and tone in the area. Non Rx treatment of the latter includes bladder training where one learns to void on a timed basis with the length of time between going gradually lengthened until it's a comfortable and predictable amount.

• User
    10 years ago

lkplatow I too am a firm believer in HRT. I had a hysterectomy in my mid 40's. I kept my ovaries. They worked just fine for 2 yrs. At that point they completely stopped and I was in the midst of a meltdown ! Literally looked like I was showering with a hose many times a day. I put up with it for 2 weeks LOL.

I called my OB/Gyn and got immediate relief by taking Estratest. All the symptoms I had been having...sleeplessness, anxiety attacks while at work, nightmares , absent libido drenching sweats ...all disappeared within 2 weeks of starting therapy. I am now almost 63 and have never stopped the med ...not for more than a day or two.

Due to having had a hysterectomy I would not have been prescribed Premarin. I agree it is not a safe drug. The benefits of my HRT so so so far outweigh any possible side effects that my Dr and I agree it is the best treatment for me. I have regular checkups and mammograms.

When I just had my second bone density scan they were amazed once again at my bones. With 100% being the highest I was 130% !!

As to the bladder surgery for stress incontinence there is absolutely nothing negative about it if you have a good surgeon. I had it done when I had my hysterectomy. I have never leaked another drop of urine when coughing etc. I had had three 9 1/2 # babies vaginal births with precipitous delivery in two cases....my bladder was SO low it actually had pushed into/through the va&*()$ wall and was hanging down...sorry to be so graphic but that is what happens. The surgery is much better than wearing a pessary.

Annie is completely correct in her definitions. The problem with the Kegel , and they are the only thing that works that is non-surgical, is if it has gotten as bad as mine was through the birth process, then surgery is the only way to correct it. A good exam by a competent MD can tell you the state of your bladder etc. There is no cream that will correct this problem . The creams are wonderful for many cases...everyone has to be evaluated and then make a very well considered decision with the assistance of a competent MD. c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Tr, mom was on hrt for over 20 years and it did her a lot of good, until she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She did not smoke and oncologist said it was not smoking related cancer as she lasted too long with it. There is work being done that has identified an estrogen receptor in some lung cancers that is similar to breast cancer estrogen receptors. So while we have no way of knowing if it was hrt that caused it or contributed to it, it might not hurt to think about a chest x ray....talk to your doc about it.

She thought she was safe as she had had a complete hysterectomy so no risk of uterine cancer....but no one told her about lung cancer....

Here is a link that might be useful: Estrogen and lung cancer

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 10:46

• awm03
    10 years ago

This came out today in the NYT:
    New Study Reaffirms Complexity of Hormone Use In Menopause . The article says HRT worsens urinary incontinence, in general. If you Google HRT & irritable bladder, you'll find discussions in forums. Seems like estrogen helps some & hurts others -- a mixed result.

• User
    10 years ago

awm...is't that the truth !! Mixed responses to everything ! That is why statistics and test results and " testimonials" are all worth just what you paid for them....you have to be evaluated by a competent medical person and have an individualized program set up..nothing else is safe .

Annie..thank you for that link. I was not aware of that. I sure will look into it. I haven't had a complete...I still have my atrophied ovaries. I used to worry about ovarian cancer but the data out there doesn't show that I am at any risk so I have stopped worrying. c