Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

My five days in Puerto Rico (& stuff I learned)!

jterrilynn
10 years ago

Follow up to my Where would you go for five nights? post.

As soon as we rested we took a short cab ride to San Juan from our hotel. Here is husband getting fitted for a custom Panama hat! We learned that Panama hats are actually Ecuadorian and made from toquilla palm plants. Back in the day the hats were first shipped to Panama before sailing to their destinations around the world. Even with us living in Florida it is HOT in PR in the summer.

Old San Juan, I think Fortaleza st.

Side street showing the blue cobblestones , originally adoquine - furnace slag brought over a ballast from Spanish ships.

I felt like I was back in Madrid when I came across some of the small plazas in "old San Juan".

Supposedly Christopher Columbus found PR in 1493. In 15 hundred something Juan Ponce De Leon founded the original settlement. We visited the El Morrow Castle which was amazing. This picture is a side street in "old San Juan" How cool to see so much history only a 2 1/2 hour flight away and in U.S jurisdiction!

I have a soft spot for some of the buildings on side streets that need rescuing. We saw some very cool architecture on this day ranging from classical Revival, medieval, Gothic, Renaissance style, Baroque, Colonial and more (I'm still trying to figure it all out.

We stayed at the Ritz and had a room with a panoramic view of the pool and ocean plus a small balcony for my morning tea.

We decided to venture out for meals (example: 1 little hamburger w/chips at the Ritz = $19). Here is a better restaurant within walking distance of the Ritz. I have to say that this is the first time ever when on vacation that getting restaurant recommendations from locals did not go well for me, I think it's because traditional Puerto Rican food and my digestion do not mesh. Monfongo (fried green mushed plantains) should NOT be eaten without the fiber from beans that is normally served on the side. Don't ask me how I know this.

Plates at Platos (everything around here comes with Mofongo). This was tasty, bacon wrapped chicken with...yep, more Mofongo, I have to say though that the twist on traditional Pureto Rican food was much welcomed. In both these dishes mofongo was mixed with rice and had Indian seasoning.

One of many pitcher's of Sangria consumed while on this trip.

Cock Fights! No I did not go!

We rented a car this day and saw some beautiful hilly country sides, visited the Luquillo Beach and El Portal Tropical Rain Forest (you can see the rain forest in the background).

FINALLY some good wine and fantastic seafood at Jose Enriques! We learned almost too late that one must do a cab drive from the hotel to eat at good restaurants. Jose was nominated best new chef this year by Food & Wine Magazine. Whole snapper...YUM ! And whole lot of yummy greens and perfectly prepared fish. Just when I was thinking there was a fruit and veggie shortage on this island!

If you can find this white wine buy it! It's from Spain and of the obscure Godello grape, very fantastic and great with seafood.

Inside Jose Enriques casual restaurant, the outside area is a bit scary. However, after dark the streets are packed with local partiers so when dark it looks festive.

So in conclusion, we packed a lot of fun and relaxation into a few short days.
My only regret is that I did not take pictures of some of the interesting looking locals against some of the old run down and colorful but faded buildings. It would have been fun and inspiring to try an paint.

{{gwi:1491575}}

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 22:35

Comments (12)

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yikes! Hope PR fairs well during the active September part of the hurricane season. Things didn’t look too great on the news weather report tonight.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Beautiful pics, looks like a wonderful trip.

• User
    10 years ago

What a view---- Lovely pictures, Jterriynn! What a nice getaway for you and your DH. I'm glad you had a good time.... Not bad for a last minute plan!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Looks like a great vaca....thanks for sharing your lovely pics!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

What a nice combo of beach and sangria, with a touch of the exotic, yet so close to home.

Of course, I am biased, having suggested it, but I am glad you had a great time!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Thank you for the report. I love your photos.

We get mofongo from a local Dominican restaurant, but seeing it in PR seems to take it to a new level.

Would love to do this trip.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! Mtn, yes! Your suggestion was perfect for a quick getaway!
    I really really need to start researching possible places to get reasonably priced art mementoes while traveling. I do look for things while on trips but really don’t have a direction and often end up trying to find something in touristy areas, without luck.
    I should have at least bought a small framed butterfly here http://www.butterflypeople.com/
    You cannot tell by the pictures how lovely these are in their translucent magic unless you see them in person. Although I still haven’t given meditation a real try I have to say that just walking into a full gallery of this art form with the soothing music in the background puts one into a zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly People

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 14:24

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Travel related! Peck & Peck crops and pants at Stein Mart.
    Since we are often trying to find travel clothing here I just have to share these travel pants and crops because I felt I won the lottery on comfort. I found them at the last minute at Stein Mart just before the trip. These will take you from day to night, you can get them in many colors and lengths, and they are slip-ons and non-confining. I would say they run true to size and are very slimming with a slight control on top section. If you have a tendency to carry more weight in your hips and thighs I would go up a size so they flow nicely. I love them so much I’m going to order more in other colors for the next trip.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 11:22

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Sounds like a great travel destination! Thanks for the report. I'll keep it in mind as am looking for a destination for my next trip.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

What a fun trip. Thanks for sharing your great pics with us. I enjoyed them a lot!
    Lynn

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Love the pictures, especially the food pics!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, you are welcome!
    Graywings I love my food while vacationing to me it’s the best way to get to know the peoples who are from there. However, by day three the mofongo combined with the lack of my usual veggies (the places the locals send you do not seem to do veggies or fruit) and me not wanting to eat the accompanied beans (who wants beans on a romantic getaway?) well, let’s just say that my belly looked and felt to be in the last trimester. Although this is a bit personal to share, I really feel like I need to warn people about the side effects of mofongo if not combined with fiber because you could ruin your whole vacation.