Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnygirl_gw

Does any one have a "Neat Desk"....

funnygirl
10 years ago

for filing receipts? Would you recommend it? I like the idea of eliminating the paper clutter but wonder what the downside might be. TIA!

Comments (21)

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I saw the ad and I'm curious alsoâ¦..

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Haven't seen "the ad" you're referring to, but my lovely big rolltop desk is anything but neat at the moment. I'm usually a very neat and organized person and am always open to new and better organizational ideas. What are you referring to???

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

here it is : Neat Desk scanner.

Here is a link that might be useful: scanner

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Funnygirl my hubby works as a consultant so he needed a way to file all his receipts each week so we looked at both the Neatdesk and the Xerox Mobile Scanner. We went with the portable Xerox Mobile Scanner for three reasons, it's portable, wireless and cost a hundred and fifty dollars less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer World compares Neatdesk and Xerox Mobile Scanners

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It always looked like too much bother to have to sit and scan each receipt, and then you still have to throw them out, and you have to file the receipts electronically anyway, and then you have to back them up in case you have a computer crash....just seems easier to stuff them in an envelope....

For business purposes, though it may make sense.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

We don't use one at home but I use a scan-snap at my job and love it. Makes things so much easier and organized. Much easier to look up receipts electronically than digging through envelopes! My scanner is one piece of office equipment I cannot do without.

tina

• dedtired
    10 years ago

For me, it would be just as easy to file the paper receipts. I tend not to organize things well electronically. You should see the mess of my photos.

I like that some stores now give you the option of getting emailed receipts. That has saved me a couple times on returns. I bet that will be the wave of the future.

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

I have the little Neat Receipts scanner that I bought years ago with good intentions. I don't think the Neat Desk existed at the time, don't recall seeing it. It is rather impressive little machine. Still, after less than a year's use it was packed back in the box. It's a great idea, in theory, but going through the motions Annie mentions got to be a pain. I just went back to my hard copy method of keeping important receipts in an annual binder dedicated to tax returns. I use Quicken for business/personal use and this year what I've tried to do is utilize the scan feature built into Quicken's bank account registers. Scan important receipts or invoices used for tax purposes so if something should happen to the hard copy I have electronic backup. I've thought about getting the NR out of the box again but haven't done it yet and am not even sure it will work on my newer version of Windows. Seems I'm perpetually on a quest to go paperless, or at minimum reduce the sheer volume of it. But so far the paper is winning and it makes me crazy!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Annie makes a great point. If it weren't for my hubby having to prove his expenses to get reimbursed we wouldn't use it because of how time consuming that would be.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Indeed I prefer the emailed receipts , but so far only the Apple store does that.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Mitch, I've had several stores lately asking me if I want an emailed receipt. I think Nordstrom Rack does it, I know Office Depot does it. Can't think offhand who else I've gotten them from. I thought it was a great idea, until I went to Office Depot a few times after school began and they ask for my email address EVERY single time. And they have to type it in which is a pain b/c I have to spell the whole thing out. You would think that once you are in their system, it would automatically come up, especially if you have some sort of rewards card with them. So last time I was at Office Depot, she asked if I wanted the emailed receipt - at first I said yes, but then looked at the long line behind me and said, "Do you have to retype it in again?" When she said yes, I told her to forget it - it was a waste of time. She laughed and agreed with me. I'm said it must be such a time consumer/waste for them to even bother.

I am the queen of receipts as I have a bad habit of buying things and returning them. Especially things I've bought for my kids.. My wallet is always stuffed with them b/c I don't clear them out until I know for sure I'm keeping something. I have a Modells receipt that must have 10 receipts stapled together b/c I kept going back and returning/exchanging things like cleats and other sports gear. And just when I thought I was done (dd was WITH ME and tried the cleats on then wore them once and said they kept sliding off the back of her foot), so I returned them and got a smaller size. I am waiting for dd to try on the smaller size b/f I can finally file away that darned receipt. She said if this pair doesn't fit, she's giving up and keeping her old cleats (we went through this last season and she never did find a pair of cleats that fit her correctly-I can't believe her old cleats haven't fallen apart yet!).

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I also always have a ton of receipts in my purse - but often not the one I need!

The stores that I can think of that will email receipts are Macy's, Sears, Kmart and Nordstrom Rack.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Wow - here in my area (TN) I've never been offered an email receipt. However, we don't have Macy's or Nordstrom and I don't shop at Kmart or Sears. That would be great though. For our own personal use, I keep every receipt that has tax on it. Besides needing receipts for hubby's business expenses, we also keep up with how much sales tax we spend in a year. Anything and everything that will help us out on our taxes . . .

(Terri - I first put receipts in my wallet, then every few days they are transferred to a file.)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

If you have a smart phone there are apps for that!

Go to the app store or google play and search for "Receipt Scanner".

My son uses his phone. He takes a pic of the receipt, and does something that files it in the correct place. He can then access his expenses from his computer at home or work.

ML

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Oh that's a great idea Maddielee! I'm going to look that app up. Thank you!

• funnygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your replies, and Maire Cate for posting the link. I plan to check out the Xerox mobile scanner mentioned as well as the smart phone app. Thanks agin!:)

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I'll have to come back to spend time reading about the machines. I've always wanted the neat desk; looks pretty cool. I do wonder if my HP scanner/fax would do the same thing lol

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I bought a nest scanner two years ago and sent it back. Them we bought a Fujitsu scan snap and sent it back too. Both are problematic.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

When I want to keep a receipt for a big-item purchase, I scan it on my all-in-one HP printer. It has a slot for an SD card, so I scan the receipt to that, then pop the SD card into my computer and upload it. A few steps, but really just plain easy for me.

The older I get, the less stuff I want around me, paper and otherwise. Just tossed 4 tall-kitchen-size bags of shredded bills, receipts, etc., out this week!

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Pammy, seems like you should be able to just scan the document right to your computer from your printer rather than the SD card. At least that's how my printer works - I scan documents all the time to save on my computer or to email to someone else. That would save you a step! I have an Epson printer (bought specifically so I could scan as well as print from one machine) but I'm be surprised if your HP doesn't have the same capability.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

tinam61,

Since there are Macy's stores in Memphis, Jackson, and Franklin, and there's a Nordstrom in Nashville, I'm guessing you live in east TN, right?

I'm in the mid-state, and it's hot today; about 80 degrees!
    I guess that's why I'm reading GW posts instead of sleeping.

:)