Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

I hope you don't mind me sharing my latest painting...

terezosa / terriks
10 years ago

I've been trying to paint more, and I just finished this one yesterday. This is actually the first time I have finished a painting without the guidance of my painting teacher.

Edit: I just realized that I said I finished with guidance, but I meant to say without

This post was edited by terriks on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 12:17

Comments (29)

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Very nice Terriks!

• awm03
    10 years ago

I like that very much, terriks.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I love the colors...nice job!

• User
    10 years ago

I really like it, especially the color combination, what medium did you use? Oil?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Cool! Tell us a little bit about it.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's acrylic on watercolor paper.

Here's my process:
    Have a vague idea of what I want to paint
    Start slopping some paint on the paper
    Stand back and look at it and hate it, and think "how in the world did I paint that last picture? It must have been a fluke"
    Slop on some more paint
    Add elements and cover up others
    Realize that it is shaping up into something I might like
    Fiddle around with it for a few days
    Suddenly it all comes together (I don't know exactly how this step works, but it does)
    Stand back and think "how the heck did I do that?"

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

That's your process, presumably for any painting, no?

I was wondering what you might have to say about this one. For example: What are you painting? (step one above)

• User
    10 years ago

Love those colors together!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Cool!

• User
    10 years ago

Wow, acrylic? It really looks like oil in the picture. Love your process, LOL

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Mind? No, of course not. I appreciate you showing us. It's very nice. You're talented and I hope you continue painting.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I don't know what your subject matter is in this photo, but to me, I see a couple of ladies in blue robes dancing on the shoreline. It makes me happy.

• golddust
    10 years ago

OMG. When I saw the title of this thread I thought, OH NO! Not another subjugation to one more painting. ( Sarcism )

It's beautiful! Love the colors and every single thing about it! Thanks for subjecting me to it. Your title to this thread is the only issue I am having with your painting. I'd hang it on my wall in a heartbeat!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Pesky, I see two ladies dancing too. Reminds me of a Rorschack ink blot, only more artistic.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It may be the post someone had on turkish rugs, but i see whirling dervishes.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I like it!!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Nice piece of work, keep it up.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments. As I mentioned above this is the first one that I've finished outside of a painting workshop where I've received feedback from the teacher or other students in the class. I just went on my own instincts, until I liked what I saw.

I didn't want to appear that I'm fishing for compliments, hence the subject line. Though maybe I am...lol
    I know that I like it, but needed some feedback.

I do purely abstract paintings, though I do see whirling dervishes now that you mention it mtnrdredux. Maybe that's what I should name it. :)

I usually just start out with a general idea of the shapes and colors I want to use. Sometimes I get inspiration from another piece of art, or sometimes while watching TV I'll see some interesting shapes in the way that the scene is framed. Or I'll notice some interesting shapes in the landscape. However, the finished product usually deviates considerably from my original idea, as I layer on color and texture. After I'm done I look at it and have no idea how I got from blank paper to finished painting. There is no way I could copy it.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

It's acrylic on watercolor paper.

Interesting! I too love the color palette - pretty.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Nice !!!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Look at the mat again. I'm thinking your painting is better than a single white mat suggests. Sorry but I used to live with a picture hanger. Framing has so much to do with art. The painting is great. You need to frame it accordingly.

Art is expensive.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Great job Terri!!

tina

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Lovely!

• awm03
    10 years ago

terriks, what a wonderful gift you have for painting. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I really like this! What are the unmatted dimensions?

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 12:02

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just realized in my first post I typed that I finished with the guidance of my painting teacher. I meant to say without.

The unmatted size is 30" x 22"

I took the picture with just a mat to avoid the glare from the glass.

I currently have it framed temporarily in an Ikea frame. Eventually I'll get it professionally framed.

What kind of mat(s) do you suggest golddust?

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful ! I love your choice of colors. As I have said before you have a great eye. c

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Terricks, your description of the process is delightful and answered a question I've had in my head for a very long time about painters of abstract art.
    The painting is also delightful. I still don't know why some abstract is and others isn't, but my guess is it's allot to do with the artist and their personality.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Terriks,
    Thank you for sharing your art and your process. I like it a lot. I think it is the dancing blue that speaks to me as well.

Beth P.