Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlj48

Your creative ideas about a Christmas gift.

jlj48
9 years ago

I know it's early, but I was thinking about our upcoming Christmas gathering set to take place at my house this year. My parents have passed away and my siblings and I only get together once a year and this is it. Anyway, I have a precious letter that I acquired while going through my parents things. It is a love letter that my Dad sent my mom a year before they were married. It is sweet and signifies the beginning of 57 years of marriage. It is in the original envelope with his military base return address. The letter is 3 pages front and back. I would love to copy this and the envelope and present one to each of my siblings. I have been racking my brain trying to think of creative ways to display copies and I'm out of ideas.
Does anyone have any ideas? TIA

Comments (11)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think they'd all like to have the letter, but probably not displayed. Why not give them each a copy, but then just use the envelop to make something... Maybe an image could be printed or engraved on a shallow glass dish .., a la john derian, or decoupaged on a box. A mug or jigsaw would be too pedestrian ...

I'd look under bridal photo products fir ideas.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Meant to say ... Take a photo of the envelope or part of the letter,,, maybe the signature ., and then look at what you can have made under the category of "photo gifts"

• joshuasamah
    9 years ago

Do you have any postcards your Dad may have sent your Mom while in the service? Last year I had the written part of a postcard my Dad sent my Mom copied and framed for my children. They both were thrilled and proudly hung in their homes.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the idea about looking at Bridal Photo products. I will do that. ~ And no, I don't have any postcards. Only this letter and envelope it came in.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I wonder if you would like to do one of those photo books from Shutterfly? You could include a copy of the letter , a wedding photo, and other old and new photos of your family.

You can keep it simple (which is my preference, a picture is worth a thousand words....) or have meaningful/ fun captions with each photo.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a good idea too ellendi. Thank you. I will have to play around with these ideas.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your ideas. I went to Shutterfly and played around with gift ideas. I decided to make a photo book ellendi. I am really excited about it. I am going with traditional, classic, simple and a black background on the pages so the letter really stands out. I will have their "saying" a song title on the front, then their engagement photo (my mom said it was from a photo booth? - they had no money but it is surprisingly good for 1947). I will put a page of the letter on each page with a copy of the envelope and another photo at the end. Our love for them is what keeps us connected in any way at all and I am excited to honor their love in this way. :)

• melsouth
    9 years ago

I love what you've decided to do - great idea!

I have seen something similar to what mtn described; an enlargement of a love letter envelope, printed on canvas and mounted on the wall.
    The postmark from the 1940s could be easily read.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I think it's a great idea you've decided to do the photo book. I've done several of these for our family and given them to our kids after family events (Christmas, vacations, etc). The great thing is you only have to design it once and then make as many copies as you need. It sounds like you already have a great start. They periodically have specials (2-for discounts, etc) so check before you purchase.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Nice idea.

Once (at Vista Print) I created a sign and left it in my shopping cart for weeks because I wasn't sure I really wanted it. Eventually, they emailed to remind me the item was still in my cart and they offered me free shipping or some other incentive to buy it (I forget exactly what but it was enough for me to make the purchase). Maybe if you create the book and leave it in your cart for awhile you can get some type of upgrade or incentive to buy. If you don't need the books until Xmas, it's worth trying.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

If you join Shutterfly, they will email you when there is a sale, usually around 39% off and sometimes free shipping. Everything I have done with them has turned out great.