Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

favorite workout clothes

gwlolo
10 years ago

My workout clothes are getting a bit ratty and I want to replenish the lot. What do you like to wear to workout? Suggestions on styles (shorts, capris, camis with bras etc) as well as brands will be great. I often have some errands to run or have to go to DD's school in my workout gear and so would like something that can look appropriate in those situations.

Comments (11)

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

IâÂÂm pretty boring, once I found a comfortable workout short with a 6â inseam I never went back. I buy the roadrunner brand R-Gear compression shorts because they are made very well and are not skimpy fabric. I do not use them as a compression short though, I wear a medium but buy the extra-large so the short just sort of skims over my body. The hidden zipper is handy dandy for my gym scanner check-in tab, a credit card and my driverâÂÂs license. The black ones even look decent with a nice top for errands. I havenâÂÂt tried the roadrunner brand workout pants yet but will do. DonâÂÂt have a favorite workout top brand as I just like cotton not too tight not too baggy tops for workouts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roadrunner shorts

• awm03
    10 years ago

I like skorts, the ones with shorter lengths. I can stay cool in them unlike capris, they look better than shorts for those of us who aren't skinny Minnies, and I can step out in public in them & feel somewhat fashionable. Very comfy, easy to move in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Team Estrogen apparel

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I wear SkirtSports and Athleta running skorts for running and working out. For me the length is perfect - long enough to wear out to the grocery store w/o feeling skimpy. The built in compression shorts on the SkirtSports brand have pockets on either thigh where I store my car key and my iPod or anything else I need to carry. I also have a few things from lululemon that I love. I mostly wear skorts for working out now b/c I don't feel funny wearing them out in public. I don't like wearing tights/compression gear if I'm running errands. SkirtSports also has a longer skirt that I wouldn't wear for exercising as it's a tad too long, but it's great for running errands. In cooler months, I wear the LottaBreeze Capri style (capri w/skirt over top). For winter, I wear insulated running tights that have a built in skirt from Athleta or I wear Under Armour Cold Gear tights with a separate skirt from Athleta over top to cover my arse.

Once I discovered skirts/skorts, I rarely ever wear workout shorts anymore (the compression shorts underneath prevent chafing).

Here is a link that might be useful: Skirt Sports

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Awm, I just looked at your link since I've not heard of that website and see that they sell various brands, including the SkirtSports brand that I love. If you buy that brand, get on the SkirtSports mailing list, as they regularly have specials. I just got a free pair of the Lotta Breeze capris ($75) by spending $100 on two other skorts. They also have half off sales once in a while and free shipping if you spend a certain amount. Just thought I'd let you know.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Those skirtsports and skorts are cute! Are they true to size?

• awm03
    10 years ago

fourkid4us, thanks for that tip. I'm needing some new skorts, so will check out the SkirtsSports brand. I usually buy Terry skorts because I'm primarily a cyclist and their quality is terrific, but Terry's cut back on their skort selection. Terry runs true to size, IMO, as does Pearl Izumi.

Castelli, which makes very chic stuff, runs small -- best for Italian fashion models lol! I bought a gorgeous white skort & matching top to wear on RAGBRAI last year and had to return it because it was too small.

• chispa
    10 years ago

A few years ago I would have said LuluLemon, without a doubt, but the quality isn't quite the same. I had happily paid their prices because the capris, pants and jackets were very well made (some are 5 years old and still going strong). I needed some replacements this past year and was very disappointed. I still bought a few jackets because the fit was good, but the material and zippers are much less robust than before. I don't think they will last like the old ones did.

This past year I also tried Athleta. The quality is on par with the current Lululemon quality. I bought a few things, but they didn't fit my body as well as the LL clothing.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I usually wear capris. Most of mine are Marika brand I got through Groupon Goods. I also would get some Champion brand through target. I like Reebok sport bras, and I wear plain boring T-shirts or running shirts.

My padded cycle shorts are Performance and some other brand.

Love Athleta look, but I cannot justify their prices for something I sweat in.

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! I am checking these out when I go shopping this weekend.

• msrose
    10 years ago

What's the purpose of compression shorts? Is it for looks or function?

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Some guys wear them instead of a jock strap or buy compression shorts with a built in cup. Others buy to prevent chaffing or to help keep the muscles warm during workouts or competitions and to wick moisture. Some non-athletes buy to help hold in their fat or keep their underwear in place. I buy them for the heartier material only and wear two sizes up for more of a flow over the body fit. They seem to last much longer too.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County