Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Windows 8 Frustration . . . and Confession

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

As I mentioned in my earlier thread about my incredible frustration with the Windows 8 on my new Toshiba laptop, I'd ordered the book/manual "Windows 8 For Dummies" from Amazon. I did start to read thru it but, honestly, the bottom line for me was that the program is a royal PIA to use. I still hated it. DH, who likes to use my laptop occasionally, although he still mainly uses his desktop with Windows 7 Pro on it, was incredibly frustrated with W8.

I finally gave up, got onto the Toshiba site and found an online company (in India from the sounds of it) who would take off W8 and install W 7 Pro for me. It cost me $100, but it is so worth it for me. They did it remotely and it took less than an hour. DH is fairly computer literate but had absolutely no time to figure out how to do it himself. And, it would have taken him many hours, tons of frustration plus the cost of buying a new Windows 7 Pro program.

I now have both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 on my laptop. To access W8, though, I do have to hunt for it . . . which I'm obviously NOT going to do!

Funny coincidence in that DH read today that Apple CEO is resigning. I wonder if it's because of the huge backlash that W8 has caused. So far, I haven't met a soul who likes it.

So, I have a brand new "Windows 8 for Dummies" manual and DVD available. I bought it for $20 and will gladly sell it for $10 if anyone is willing to try and figure the darn thing out. (LOL). As for me, I am so, so loving Windows 7 Pro again . . . ahhhh!
Lynn

Comments (26)

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

I consider myself extremely computer literate and,as an example, have taught myself Microsoft Access and Excel to a near-professional level; however I hated Windows 8 so much, we also paid $50 to have Windows 7 back. I likened Windows 8 to moving the brakes and gas pedal In a car but not telling the driver where they were moved.

It may be great for tablet users,not so much for laptop users.

My DIL designs human resource programs, and trains end users, and she, too went back to 7.

BTW, I think you meant Microsoft CEO,not Apple; this all should delight Apple.:)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Lynn - Hold your head up high! You are not alone.

Like I mentioned in your last post about it, when I bought my new PC last December, I paid a teeny bit extra to have Windows 7 installed instead of 8.

From the article linked below, I took 2 important sentences -
    "First, let's focus on his successes. Windows 7 was the best version of Windows the company released..."

And "The pointlessly tablet-like Windows 8 has annoyed so many people it's significantly dragging down PC sales. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Bits & Bytes: Ballmer's resignation as Microsoft CEO could be much-needed turning point

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

I'm so glad I am not the only one! I helped my mom buy a laptop a few months ago. We didn't get a Mac because I figured that learning curve might be way too much for her to handle. (she's in her late 60s). OMG, for the trouble of WIndows 8, she may as well have gotten a MacBook. What a huge pain. She pretty much has given up using it, as she just can't find anything.

I'm looking for a new desktop for my office to use Quickbooks on. I was thrilled to learn that I can run Windows on a Mac to run the QB. For some unknown reason QB for Macs just seems to suck. Now I just need the computer store to get it all set up for me before I bring it home.

Beth P.

• jenna1
    10 years ago

I oh-so feel your pain, as well as your frustration. I have Windows 8 for Dummies AND Windows 8 for Seniors. I didn't get far in either. I've never felt so stupid in my life. Kept thinking that maybe they should come out with Windows 8 for Stupid Dummies. :)

My husband bought me a new laptop as a gift to replace mine that bit the dust. I pretty much figured out how to turn it on and that is about it. I got so frustrated that it's just sitting there. It is/was one of the more expensive laps and other than my husband does some simple stuff, it's just collecting dust.

Could you all share how you get Windows 7 installed? Is this something that someplace like Best Buys or Staples could do?

Thank you so much!

Jenna

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We have Microsoft Office for Windows 8 on all our computer lab and classroom teaching computers. UGH! I do not like it at all. I am very happy with my Windows 7 and Office 2010 at home, which I liked right away. Hope it's a long time before they get around to my office for the Windows 8 upgrade!

• mdrive
    10 years ago

lynne, would you mind posting a link or in some way directing to the company used to do this?

my husband has been putting off getting a new laptop for MONTHS (and sent back 3 machines with windows 8)

he desperately needs a new laptop, it is so bad, he is considering a macbook pro with parallels and windows 7 pro installed (at considerable more expense)

TIA!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I am so glad to know it's not just me. My husband bought a new lap top and it has W8 on it. He couldn't figure out how to use it so went back to his old one (half the keys are missing!). I started to use that new lap top and I HATE IT TOO!

I have W7 on my desk top, but I use the lap top a lot-and sometimes I want to throw it across the room. It changes screen size without me even doing anything. Switches to screens I don't want without me even being aware I did anything, and then I have to go thru about six thousand steps to get back to where I was.

Finding photos? Forget it. Oh how I HATE this program. D mentioned taking it to Best Buy to get W7 installed, but I'm not sure it's worth it for what we paid for the lap top (less than $500)-but as I type this, the cursor keeps bouncing around. Sigh.

Yes PLEASE let us know who you used!

• HomeMaker
    10 years ago

I'm not posting much these days, but I had to add my 2 cents here today.
    I absolutely HATE-HATE-HATE Windows 8.

I bought a new laptop and my tech support suggested installing Classic Shell (link below). It makes the laptop work like Windows 7 or XP (you have choices) and best of all, it's free. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Shell

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Pesky:
    Check the online reviews for the laptop your DH got. We also purchased a laptop for around $500 because my DH only looks at Houzz, Craigslist, and plays Hearts, and didn't want to put a lot of money into a computer. The cheaper laptop had cursor problems and would just freeze. When I checked the reviews, it was a common problem. We returned it and got a Dell, which had a spot on the screen. We returned that and got another Dell, and spent more money.

It might be worth a return to Best Buy if you haven't had it long. (We also purchased at Best Buy and were amazed at the customer service--they've really changed).

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

They will be releasing Windows 8.1 in October, but you can get a preview of it now. I understand that the start button will return with this version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows 8.1 article

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Microsoft has a long history of putting out crap no one wants. Hopefully they will identify a new leader who takes a different approach.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The company I used to put Windows 7 Pro on my laptop is Teqbay, which was recently acquired by Quantm.
    I'm so incredibly glad to hear that I'm not the only person hating W8!

Dee: You're right, I meant Microsoft, not Apple (LOL). I wish I could have taken my laptop back and would have gladly paid $50 to have W7 put on it. But, we bought it at Costco and I don't think it's possible there. Lucky you!!!

My3dogs: I'm in very good company then, if you didn't like it. Thanks for the link.

Beth: I feel for your mom! I gave up and went back to using my old laptop, too.
    Jenna: ROFL = I have Windows 8 for Dummies AND Windows 8 for Seniors. I didn't get far in either. I've never felt so stupid in my life. Kept thinking that maybe they should come out with Windows 8 for Stupid Dummies. :) . Too funny, but so sad, isn't it?

Gscience: DH is installing out old Microsoft Office (not the W* version) this weekend. I loved the version I had on my old laptop.

Desert: the name of the company is Teqbay. Google that and you'll easily find it.

Pesky: same with me! I was so incredibly frustrated with W8 I went back to using my old laptop for almost 3 months. Mine was also missing keys and had very sticky "N" and "E" keys. Talk about frustrating! I feel for your DH! And I'm right there with you regarding their photos program . . . OMG, it is a total nightmare!
    I Homemaker: "Classic Shell"? Hmmm, if it's free, that might be the first thing you all should look into. Thanks!

Terri: I hope that the new W8.1 version works. I don't have much faith that it will be half as good as W7, though. Still, there's hope.

Gibby: LOL! I hope so, too!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Lynn and everyone, I feel for you all as we too have a new laptop with Windows 8. I tried to tell my hubby that the buzz online was not good, but him being a programmer/annalist he must have figured he'd have no problem with it. Ha! His Toshiba is now seven months old, bought in February and sits for most part unused. In May he bought an iPad and quit taking the laptop with him. He travels to Cali weekly as a consultant working in IT at Lucille Packard Children's hospital.
    This past week he called a local techy store and was quoted $100.00 plus the price of Windows 7 to redo the laptop. I've sent him an email about what I've read in this thread so he can check into it. I'm thinking your right in trying the Classic Shell, thank you Homemaker, first before checking with the company you used, but if what you used takes it back completely to Windows 7 he may just want to go with that. We have a Windows 7 disc, but it was an upgrade or he'd have reformatted this computer himself.
    Thanks so much for starting this thread. It was very timely.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Buy a mac...you'll never go back...

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

What are the operating systems like on a Mac Annie? Do they compare at all to let's say Windows Seven?
    I've not used a Mac since I worked in a public school library and then all I did was turn it on and off and occasionally look up books. The later was rare and that was a decade ago.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mac is so easy...no blue screens, no hangs, I rarely reboot...maybe only when a software upgrade comes through...no need for anti virus...I think I had one virus which they published how to eliminate it...it was simple to do..., and that's been it in 3 years. When I was on windows, the machine just kept slowing, bogging, and degrading as I used it for no apparent reason. It just always became schlerotic....I'd clean files and defrag the disc to no avail. I don't have that on Mac. And it takes less time to go from a cold start in Mac than it does to wake my windows machine from sleep. Very intuitive to operate.

A bud of mine is chief info officer of a major us corp, and at home, he uses Mac, even tho the company is all windows based.

I know they are more expensive, but from a speed and usability POV, worth every penny.

• mdrive
    10 years ago

annie, unfortunately for some of us, we have specialized business software that the mac OS simply can't/won't? support....i have had a macbook pro for 6 years (on my second one which is a macbook air) which i use for personal computing...heck apple wouldn't even support my polar HRM (wrist watch that i used for my cycling that had an amazing software that tracked everything i did with charts and graphs)

i ended up having to partition my hard drive on the mac so i could install windows that machine just so i could use that particular software...very frustrating

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I've only owned Mac laptops in the last decade (or more). DH has a Windows - no thank you! I bought the program to partition, but never used it.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I've heard that Mac is notorious for not working with PC work related software. Our daughter's MIL had to partition their Mac for that reason. I wish there was a way I could try a Mac desk top for a month to see if I want to spend that kind of money before I make up my mind. I mean if Microsoft is going to keep up with Windows 8 type programming then I'll either stick with Seven for the rest of my life or get a Mac. IF I find I like them better. Very frustrating is right.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Search google...you can rent a Mac...

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

All I can find is for business and corporate rentals. That would be nice if I could find a place that did rent them for a month at a time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It may not be in your area, but I found one on line that rents to individuals as well....

www.tekserve.com

You can check with your local apple store to see if they will rent one too you also.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie.

• quilly
    10 years ago

DH bought a new PC today and thanks to all of you who posted about your frustration with Windows 8 he decided to avoid Windows 8. We've never had to worry about an operating system before. We've been running Vista and lots of people disliked that but we didn't have any issues with it.

He bought it from a local business and had it converted to Windows 7 and the best part is that they'll deliver it on Monday, set it up, transfer our data and make sure everything, including the peripherals are working. He needs to be able to access EMR's (Electronic medical Records) from home and didn't want to spend hours trying to learn 8.

Maire

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Another Mac convert here! I bought mine almost two years ago. Dh had gotten me an iPad not long after they first came out, then two years ago, I finally bit the bullet and got an iPhone. My Dell was something like 10 years old, and though it still worked fine, it had gotten very very slow. I decided to make the switch to a Mac- got the iMac (I didn't need laptop since I have the iPad). After 25 years using a PC, I was worried about the transition, but it was pretty easy. I did buy AppleCare and had to call them a few times initially with questions how to transition a couple of things, but also have a neighbor who is all things Apple who also helped me. I LOVE it! I did buy Microsoft Office for Mac so my kids could use the computer for schoolwork but the transition was pretty smooth and I like that all of my stuff is now compatible.

OTOH, I bought my 14 y/o a Dell laptop for Christmas last year since she was having to use a computer regularly for school. Hers has Windows 8 but she had absolutely no problem transitioning to that after using whatever Windows version I had on my old PC. But hey, kids seem to figure stuff out quickly. Every time I've tried to use her laptop I'm completely lost - where is the startup tab???? Ugh. I was totally frustrated and avoid it now at all costs. In hindsight, I almost wish I'd shelled out the dough for a Mac laptop, but didn't want to spend the money. I'm thinking maybe when she graduates h.s. she can get one as a graduation gift for college.

I have no idea what partitioning is for PC/Mac, but for my own needs (websurfing, Microsoft Office programs, iTunes, photos, calendar, etc), it has been an easy transition. One I wish I'd made a while ago.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I shared the links here with my hubby and he felt that he wanted 8 totally wiped from his laptop so we took it in to a local geek store in Omaha and they'll do it all for a fee of $75 dollars. He could do it, but just doesn't have the time since he's only home 2.5 days a week.

We also decided when I replace this desktop, maybe for Christmas, we'll have them build me a PC with Windows 7.