Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Help! Quick and easy ideas for my book club dinner?

terezosa / terriks
10 years ago

I'm hosting dinner for my book club Tuesday evening, and I'm in need of some inspiration for the menu. I usually have all kinds of ideas, but I'm just not inspired this time. I need something I can prep ahead, or takes very little time to make. There will be about 6 of us.

Comments (10)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Beef or pork tenderloin is a good choice because it can be cooked ahead and kept warm. Oven-roasted vegetables are great because you can do all of the washing and trimming ahead and then roast them for 20 - 25 minutes in the oven on 425 degrees, just about the length of time that the tenderloin needs to rest and be carved.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Can you give us some ideas what you typically have at your book club? Mine can run the gamut depending on who is hosting - some will have a full dinner w/dessert, while others just have finger foods. ARe you looking for an entree w/side dishes, or something lighter? A salad with protein? Or perhaps a pasta salad with maybe chicken or shrimp?

If you tell us what is typical at your book club, giving suggestions might be easier.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Love the crock pot. How about a chicken cacciatore over pasta? Or you can do a pork roast in a crock pot. Or stuffed peppers. Or Hungarian goulash over egg noodles.

Ham is quick and easy...throw it in the oven with baked beans and a veggie casserole that can all be prepared ahead.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw? So easy in the crockpot. I use rootbeer to cook the pork in. Cutting the roast in pieces speeds it up. I add a tiny bit of liquid smoke, lots of garlic and onions.

When the pork is done, drain the liquid off. Then shread it with a couple forks.

After you shread it, mix a good BBQ sauce into it and toss back into the crock pot to keep warm. Easy. You could even offer a few BBQ Sauces and let people put it on top of their sandwich instead of mixing it in the shredded pork.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Our book club meets over brunch, so my ideas are more casual. Quiche, frittata, chicken salad with waffles, sharp cheddar grilled cheese with homemade gazpacho, paninis, portobello and goat cheese on ciabatta, room temp tenderloin on crostinis with assorted spreads, quesadillas. You could also do assorted cheese with fruit, artisanal bread and some cured meats and olives.

What book is it? For Great Gastby we did one with fried chicken, devilled eggs and lemon cakes, as mentioned inthe book. There is actually a website that lists and foods mentioned in a given novel.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Grilled chicken, Ina Garten's Orzo salad (can be made the night before) steamed asparagus, green salad( made a day ahead).
    I use the think chicken cutlets so they take only a few minutes to grill.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

What book are you discussing? In my book club we try, if possible, to tie the menu into the book we've read. Sometimes you can't really do it directly with foods mentioned or consumed but maybe you can try to at least refer to your book.

Last week our club discussed our summer reads which were the Steve Jobs bio and Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In. So there were plenty of apple dishes :), I brought a curried chicken salad (homage to Steve's pilgrimage to India as a young man), the hostess served a Whole Foods purchased quiche per Sandberg's advice to streamline and outsource life chores like cooking etc...

Ann

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Thanks for all the suggestions. I was telling my husband that I had no ideas, and he said why don't you cook some of the halibut and salmon I just brought home? (he was on a fishing trip in Alaska last week) So I think that I'll cook in on the grill wrapped in foil with some olive oil and seasoning, then make a sauce with fresh tomatoes, marinated mushrooms and artichoke hearts, capers and lemon juice with angel hair pasta - this is something that I've been making for my husband and myself the past few months with salmon.

I'm not sure how long I'll need to cook the fish though. I really hate overcooked fish!

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

mary lu,and Golddust

I would love the details of your chicken recipe and pulled pork when you have time.

Thanks