Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

Fast healthy real food dinner ideas

legomom23
10 years ago

I am trying to eat better, I really am! I read the information, I believe in it, I know it's important, but still many times at lunch and dinner I just want to take the easy way out.
What are your ideas for the fastest, healthiest, unprocessed, real food dinners?
The ones you are willing to make and eat after a long day of work when what you really want is a glass of wine with cheese and crackers:)

Comments (30)

• blfenton
    10 years ago

My quick go-to is stir fry. Buy a piece of chicken, cut it up into bite sized pieces. If you don't feel like cutting up vegies buy a bag of already cut-up ones that have broccoli, carrots, pea pods whatever. Cook up ;the chicken, add the vegies stir them up add a little sauce and throw it on a plate.

Google stir-fry and lots of combinations will come up but the method of cooking is always the same.

I don't use a slow-cooker but I understand it's a great and easy way of cooking as well. I get a lot of ideas and recipes on the internet just by googling.

Make a chicken stew during the evening (Or on a Sunday) and put it in the fridge for reheating the next day..

It's always a little daunting to change your ways initially but so worth it in the end.

I know - I lost 42 lbs 3 years ago and have kept it off. It took me 9 months to do it - to learn how to count calories, fats and sugars, to learn how to cook properly, to learn to watch what I'm putting in my mouth, to get on the internet and research. But what i had to learn is that the change is a life time commitment.

This post was edited by blfenton on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 16:39

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Grill something! Put chicken in the fridge to marinate in the morning and pop it on the grill when you get home. Grill up some veggies too. We've been grilling zucchini lately...yum. Fish cooks really fast on the grill too.

Sometimes we actually do have cheese and crackers for dinner. I just make sure the crackers are "good" crackers and we also have fruit and/or veggies. Why not?

You can make chili with ground beef, I prefer ground turkey or sometimes cut-up chicken OR no meat at all, ahead of time. I always add extra veggies to mine -- peppers, onions, tomatoes -- and a variety of beans.

One thing my whole family loves is a dish I adapted from Chipotle's burrito bowl, some of which you can make ahead and just assemble quickly. I make a mix of brown and white rice because my family isn't big on brown rice. Then add black beans to the rice. Put that in a bowl, top with cooked chicken and salsa and shredded cheese. You can easily add extra veggies like peppers and onions, too.

You can also make a big colorful salad ahead of time and then just throw some cooked/grilled chicken (or shrimp, whatever) on top. Maybe some feta cheese too.

I know the key is planning ahead, which I hardly ever do but am trying to get better. My work schedule is erratic but I am usually home between 4 pm and dinnertime so I do have the "luxury" of spending time cooking -- problem is, I hate cooking!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I love to cook. Although I usually don't mind more complicated recipes when I have the time, I totally understand wanting to eat healthfully . . . and quickly.

I like to cook a nice bottom round beef roast on the weekend. I simmer it for hours in beef broth, a packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix, bay leaf and some dried thyme. Afterwards, I shred it and freeze it in portions for DH & myself. It thaws quickly and I can use it for tacos, enchiladas, a healthful version of taco salad (I live in New Mexico-LOL); shredded beef with a little broth over toasted rye bread for open-faced sandwiches; mixed with a little BBQ sauce over shredded Romaine lettuce or over a half of a toasted multigrain sandwich thin. I imagine that you can do the same with chicken.

I also cook up a number of skinless, boneless chicken breasts at one time. I like the thin ones best, if I can find them. I freeze them for main dish salads, shredded, over Romaine or fresh baby spinach (never iceberg, which is pretty much nutrient-free and worthless IMO) and whatever fresh veggies I have on hand. I like adding garbanzo or black beans for the added protein.

I also like to sauté a shredded (precooked) chicken breast in a small amount of olive oil along with a chopped fresh tomato, some chopped onion, chopped fresh kale or spinach, garlic, and sometimes a small can of chopped green chile, for just a couple of minutes. I serve it over black beans and top it all with a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt, fresh cilantro and chopped green onion. It's fast, lo-cal, very healthful and delicious. The black beans are, again, healthful added protein that won't leave you hungry again in an hour.

If you like fish, sauté a piece of fresh fish in a small skillet, using a small amount of olive oil. When cooked, refrigerate until cool, about 15 minutes. In the meantime whisk together 1/8 cup of olive oil, 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice, 1/2 Tbs. Dijon mustard, 1 Tbs chopped FRESH cilantro and a dash of salt & pepper. Toss with fresh greens, 1/2 of a 15 oz can of(rinsed) chickpeas /garbanzos , 1 sliced or chopped avocado and 1/4 of a small red onion, sliced. Top with your fish and some fresh parsley. Once again, the chickpeas will add bulk and protein while eliminating the need for carbs like bread or rice. You can also substitute canned, rinsed tuna for the fish filet.
    Did I mention that I love to cook (LOL)?
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Luckygal posted while I was still writing. I have to mention that her suggestion of homemade soups is a great one. I make a killer beef vegetable soup and freeze it in portions for DH & myself. I make a lot of soups like this in the Fall and Winter. No cream soups that are laden with fat and calories, though. She also mentioned keeping lots of fresh veggies in the fridge. Another great idea! I like to keep a couple of bowls of bite-size fresh veggies ready to nibble on for whenever I get hungry. They're right there in front and ready to eat. I keep a container of hummus next to them to use as a yummy, healthful dip for them.
    Anyhoo, LG's got many great suggestions!
    Lynn

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Hi. Thought I'd throw a few simple suggestions out as well:

Take about 15- 20 plum tomatoes , 1 onion, 2 carrots and zucchini and garlic throw in the oven and roast for 45 minutes. Meanwhile just relax catch up on your day play with kids or dogs. After 45 minutes take the veggies out of the oven, add 1 bunch fresh basil and a pinch of red pepper flakes and blend until it's a sauce of your desired consistency. Use it to top quinoa noodles or raw zucchini noodles or microwaved spaghetti squash noodles.

Make a pot of chickpeas(or any other beans) on the weekend. Portion into 1 1/2 cup servings top with liquid. Keep a few servings out freeze the rest. Then you have no need to use canned beans. You can then use the chickpeas and sauté with garlic, onion and chopped kale and flavor with a little vegetable broth. My cousin also adds a little olive oil and shaved Parmesan or asiago to this. I avoid oil and cheese, but can understand others would like the addition of one or both. Depending on our mood we will add capers and white wine for a picata flavor; other times mushrooms. Usually we serve over mashed cauliflower or mashed celeriac but mixing with pasta us also quite tasty.

And honestly before I became vegan I loved the simple dish of Eggs and pasta from mark bittman: http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/recipe-of-the-day-spaghetti-with-fried-eggs/?_r=0

Another meal we enjoy a lot is just a baked sweet potato (so quick in the advantium) topped with a quick sauté of Mexican spiced black beans, corn, peppers and fresh salsa with a cashew crema. We love making big taco salads or burrito rice bowls with the homemade black and pinto beans we've previously cooked and frozen. Just top the rice, red quinoa (our favorite) or lettuce with quickly grilled veggies, quick guacamole and pico. Healthy and filling! And in 25 minutes I can always make quick swisschard and sweet potato tacos.

Others have mention it as well. But we chop up vegetables and fruits on the weekend and then again on wednesday. This makes smoothies stirfries or salads easy to assemble ( baby spinach with red onions pears blueberries and craisins with chickpeas and an oil free balsamic dressing) or cannelini beans tossed with mixed greens cucumbers olives zucchini etc or salad topped with quick mediterranean spiced vegetable bean patties and a hummus dressing.

Good luck on your new lifestyle!

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

My 14 year old DD has been a veggie for about a year now. I was finding it really hard to make meals that we all enjoyed and that were healthy. I put her in charge of meal planning and making the grocery list at the end of August when we were getting back into school routines. I have found that having that meal plan just makes cooking so much easier. It seemed that half the stress was just deciding what to eat and seeing if we had ingredients. I know this isn't rocket science, but it really made a difference for us.

Also, we've been getting a British recipe magazine that has healthy, quick and delicious recipes. About half of what we make comes from there. It is called "BBC Good Food Home Cooking Series." Our favourite is the "Vegetarian Summer 2013". Maybe you could find it online?

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We will often do grilled steak over salad with basalmic vinegar and olive oil. That's quick and healthy if you use a leaner and smaller cut of meat.

Last night we had whole-wheat spaghetti with turkey meatballs and side salad.

We will make pulled pork in the crockpot on the weekend (it really needs to cook 8 hours or more on LOW) and then freeze leftovers for tacos, quesadillas, etc. That's also easy.

Grilled salmon or other fish. I don't buy the cod anymore (fish tacos) because I've gotten some bad ones the last few times. Extremely stinky.

We use the LeCreuset grill pan on weekdays, but if we grill, we have a Weber charcoal grill and will grill a lot of extra chicken breasts, burgers, brats for DH, etc. while we have the coals hot and then freeze them. No, we still haven't bought the Big Green Egg.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I buy a piece of salmon, broil it in the toaster oven and make a sauce of mayo, 1% milk and dill. It's really not much mayo at all. I steam a veggie in the MW and - voila -- dinner. Throw in a nice roll of you want to add a carb.

Not only do I not want to cook, but I also do not want to wash dishes.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I prefer quick cooked meats over slow so a flat iron in a pan (straight from the freezer), some wilted spinach with garlic and some kind of starch: I keep homemade twice baked potatoes in the freezer and bags of homemade brown rice pilaf and there's always pasta....

So, that could be a basic, fast meal. Quesadillas with spinach and cheese, tomatoes and meat, that is also super fast.
    I usually have meat in the refrigerator for something. Last night I made a rump roast, it only takes 40 minutes to cook and is fabulous for lots of things.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Gosh all the freezer ideas sound good but I am not one who does much freezing. I need to change my mindset I guess, but I do not like to keep things in the freezer for very long. Well mainly meat or meat dishes. I prefer fresh and usually will have just a couple of things on hand in the freezer.

Anway, sorry, I got off topic!

You can do both fast and healthy. We grill a good bit and I use a crock pot alot. I work some weekdays, so love to use my crockpot on those days and have at least the bulk of my meal done. With only two of us I usually get away with not cooking a whole meal every day but a couple of times a week I usually cook something that we have left-overs from. A good example is tonight - we are having an italian type casserole that I made Monday. Add a salad, some bread and you have a meal. We eat alot of salad so I often have that on hand. You can do a healthy taco salad, grilled chicken salad, etc. On a day at home many times I will cut up a variety of veggies - peppers, broccoli, onion, carrots, etc., etc., etc. and have that on hand. We really like roasted veggies and that is quick and easy. Add grilled chicken, rice, etc. We also still have tomatoes coming in and the last of the cucumbers so I have those on hand and will cut up with a meal. Don't rule out a veggie meal which can be quick and healthy. Soups, stews, chili, etc. especially something you can have going in the crockpot.

As mentioned it just takes a little planning ahead.

tina

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Occasionally I cook up a batch of brown rice. I then divide it into 2 cups into quart sized freezer bags. Flatten them and they freeze and defrost quickly.

I recently also took all the meat off a rotisserie chicken (got mine at Costco), chopped it up and put it in a container in the fridge.

At night when I came home from work I had the basic ingredients to cook up all types of meals, very quickly and very healthy. I also have a freezer stocked full of pre-chopped/mixed veggies and I keep a stock of different types of salsas, masala, curries, etc that I get at Trader Joes.

One night I mixed up canned low sodium black beans, TJ corn salsa, rice, and a bag of southwestern style veggies and about a cup of the chopped chicken. Threw all that over some chopped lettuce (I also keep a large tupperware container full of greens in the fridge)-a few chopped tomatoes on DH's, and a yummy salad.

Other nights are stirfry (I have SOOO many stir-fry veggies in the freezer-extremely versatile)-and the rice is already made up.

Curries-I use frozen stew vegetables in mine.

I have the smallest kitchen in all of GW. I have NO counter space-a stretch of 2 feet is about the maximum area I have for prep, so I do really fast meals. I would be lost without pre-chopped frozen onions!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Occasionally I cook up a batch of brown rice. I then divide it into 2 cups into quart sized freezer bags. Flatten them and they freeze and defrost quickly.

I recently also took all the meat off a rotisserie chicken (got mine at Costco), chopped it up and put it in a container in the fridge.

At night when I came home from work I had the basic ingredients to cook up all types of meals, very quickly and very healthy. I also have a freezer stocked full of pre-chopped/mixed veggies and I keep a stock of different types of salsas, masala, curries, etc that I get at Trader Joes.

One night I mixed up canned low sodium black beans, TJ corn salsa, rice, and a bag of southwestern style veggies and about a cup of the chopped chicken. Threw all that over some chopped lettuce (I also keep a large tupperware container full of greens in the fridge)-a few chopped tomatoes on DH's, and a yummy salad.

Other nights are stirfry (I have SOOO many stir-fry veggies in the freezer-extremely versatile)-and the rice is already made up.

Curries-I use frozen stew vegetables in mine.

I have the smallest kitchen in all of GW. I have NO counter space-a stretch of 2 feet is about the maximum area I have for prep, so I do really fast meals. I would be lost without pre-chopped frozen onions!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

We're trying to really cut down on breads and the carbs that are not so good for you . . . for your waist, actually (LOL). Anyhoo, yesterday I made this meal: I warmed a can of rinsed black beans briefly in the MW. Divided them onto 2 warmed dinner plates; topped them with 2 eggs each,over easy. I then topped the eggs with a tbs of salsa each, some fresh cilantro, half a sliced avocado, and chopped green onions. Yumm! It was delicious, low cal and very attractive as well. No tortillas, potatoes or bread. I served it with a side salad using some fresh garden tomatoes.

I grew up in Michigan where we tend to love our breads, potatoes and cheese. But, being married to a family practice doc, I've been "indoctrinated" over the years to steer away from them whenever possible. It has been VERY hard , but I now tend to use a lot more beans and fresh veggies instead . . . Especially since I'm now in menopause and my normally slender frame seems to pack on a pound every time I even look at bread these days (LOL)!!!

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 13:00

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Great suggestions above! Also, if you happen to have a Costco near they have tubs of organic tomato soup and chicken enchilada (?) soup. They also have Malibu garden vegan burgers that you can do all sorts of things with. I just bought but havenâÂÂt tried yet the Vegetable & Hummus WrapâÂÂs. CostcoâÂÂs fresh salmon with their prepared basil pesto is yum and you can also buy the small whole grain pitas for lunch with the leftover salmon. There are lots of fast choices at Costco including large prepared spinach salads and plenty in the fresh veggie section like large portabella mushrooms and such.

IâÂÂm not sure if some of my Costco frozen ideas qualify as real food to you. In my case I need some extra fast healthy choices to stop me from grabbing something I shouldnâÂÂt when IâÂÂm starving.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 11:45

• luckygal
    10 years ago

There are some misperceptions about what is healthy food as well as food prep. I've been to a cancer clinic as well as a Naturopath and learned a great deal about current thinking on the subject. Some things people do that they don't realize are not healthy are microwaving any food and grilling meat. I was advised by the MD's at the cancer clinic that when meat is charred while grilling or frying it creates carcinogens. It's OK to brown veggies. Microwaving is known to decrease the food value of any food.

I think most people know when cooking veggies with water to use as little water as possible and not throw out the cooking liquid as nutrients will be lost. Use the cooking water for sauces or soups.

Food is expensive so it's wise to get as much nutrient value from it as possible by prepping and cooking properly.

The typical unhealthy North American diet features meat with side dishes of veggies or grains. A healthy diet consists of veggies, legumes, grains with *perhaps* a small side of meat. Requires an adjustment in thinking but has great health benefits. It can also be less expensive as meat generally costs more than veggies.

For a truly healthy diet using as many organic foods as possible is recommended. If financially not possible at least use organic apples, peaches, spinach, strawberries, and sweet bell peppers as these can be the most chemically contaminated foods. I never buy non-organic chicken (except occasionally in restaurants) as salt and chemicals are added to non-organic chickens for moisture and flavor. If you have never eaten organic chicken I highly recommend it - you will be unlikely to go back to the non-organic. Most of the beef producers use hormones and chemicals so super-market beef is not the healthiest choice. Organic, grass fed, or wild red meat is usually healthier.

There is a lot to learn about healthy food choices and it can be overwhelming. Easiest to make changes gradually.

• legomom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for sharing your ideas and recipes. I see an overriding theme - just do it:) Plan it, freeze it, but I need to do it.
    I do well a lot of the times but I have a weakness for fast food and potato chips. I just can't seem to break the cravings. I'll do great for a few days and then I'll eat a whole bag of kettle cooked potato chips! I smile just thinking about them even though I know how bad they are for me.
    Our groceries carry very little organic. We have no Costco. Our nearest great grocery is almost 45 minutes away but I can piece together good stuff at a couple that are closer. That does make it harder.
    But I can see from reading all of your ideas that it isn't hard, it just takes some time and planning, and in my case - some willpower!
    I think I will start keeping a food diary again and see just how I am eating the majority of the time.
    Thanks for the motivation and ideas. I like to cook and I love food, so there really is no reason not to do better.

• legomom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And lucky - I know what you are saying, I have learned a lot in the past year from a friend who has been dealing with cancer. The typical diet and lifestyle are not what is recommended by her doctors for treatment and prevention.
    I feel like I know what to eat - implementing it is a work in progress.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Microwaving per se does not remove nutrients from vegetables, it's the water that does. Using the least amount of water and the lowest cooking time will preserve nutrients.

It's a cooking myth that microwaved food is unhealthy, however, improper cooking and the wrong pans can be bad. And don't stand in front of the microwave while it's in use.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

"It's a cooking myth that microwaved food is unhealthy.."

Swiss food scientist Dr. Hans Hertel has a different opinion.

Also meant to mention (and you can google this) - why did Russia ban microwave ovens.

This post was edited by luckygal on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 15:55

• User
    10 years ago

Really? I almost always microwave my veggies - with no water at all. I just looked it up and most everything I can find says that microwaving creates the least destruction of nutrients and that since microwaves cook veggies the fastest, more nutrients are preserved.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh sorry - I just read Dr. Hans Hertel's opinion and see that you are talking about radiation in food.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Russia banned microwaves and that's a good reason to not use them?! Pardon me, I just choked on my organic lemon water!

The theory is that Russia banned microwaves in the 70s because they feared an electrical overload on their grid so they fabricated a health issue. The ban was lifted in the 90s so Russians have been enjoying "radiated" food just like the rest of us for well over 20 years now.

• kfca37
    10 years ago

My favorite is sweet & sour cabbage.

Chop up half of a red cabbage, simmer it in two tablespoons raw (or brown) sugar, three tablespoons vinegar & three tablespoons water. Half way through the process, add one large chopped apple, half cup of raisins & a tablespoon of caraway seed. If you wish meat, I suggest chicken apple sausage, cooked/broiled & sliced into the cabbage dish.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Also meant to mention (and you can google this) - why did Russia ban microwave ovens.

So I did and here is what I found.

There was no law that banned microwave ovens in the old Soviet Union, William Kopp made this up for his article many years ago. Several debunkers have trawled the USSR legal code without success trying to find the law - or the law that repealed it during perestroika.

One argument goes that if even the Soviets banned microwave ovens, and we all know how evil the Soviets were, then surely microwave ovens must be bad. It is in the same boat as the allegation that the Nazis invented microwave ovens. They didn't (if they had cavity magnetrons available, they would have done what the British did and built accurate high frequency radar sets).

Evil inventors developing something that even the evil Soviet empire had to ban, how effective that is as anti microwave oven propaganda.

The question is valid given the sheer bulk of comment on the internet, but the simple truth is that microwave ovens were not banned in the old USSR. Urban Myth. No evidence whatsoever to support it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

From Harvard Med School:

Some nutrients do break down when theyâÂÂre exposed to heat, whether it is from a microwave or a regular oven. Vitamin C is perhaps the clearest example. So, as a general proposition, cooking with a microwave probably does a better job of preserving the nutrient content of foods because the cooking times are shorter....

Vegetables, pretty much any way you prepare them, are good for you, and most of us donâÂÂt eat enough of them. And the microwave oven? A marvel of engineering, a miracle of convenience -- and sometimes nutritionally advantageous to boot.

Here is a link that might be useful: MW cooking and nutrition

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Interesting discussion. I'm not one who uses a microwave alot. Mainly for warming something. We eat alot of veggies and prefer them cooked on the stove or roasted, grilled, etc over cooking them in the microwave.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Generally our weekday dinners are very simple, only requiring 15 - 30 min. of prep time. I basically pan roast everything - fish, chicken, pork and beef. I sear on high heat using very little oil, pop it in a hot oven for a few minutes, let it rest a few minutes and it's done. If the meat produces pan juices, I use those to drizzle on top. I usually brine pork and chicken too.

We don't really eat a lot of carbs/starch for dinner, but if we do, it's usually a sweet potato or wild rice. For veggies, I use a variety of microwaveable steam in the bag frozen veggies.

On the weekends I get much more elaborate with my meals but DH actually prefers our quick week day meals because he pretty much like a hunk of juicy meat.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Egg white omelets are quick and yummy. I must admit I just made one that was not so low cal. I had a small frozen bag of Birds Eye Recipe Ready Southwest Blend (corn, black beans, poblano peppers, red peppers, onion and corn), also had a frozen half roll of HOT Jimmy Dean Sausage, some eggs, an unused take-out packet of Ranch dressing, a few slices of pepper cheese and a can of diced tomatoes.
    First I sautéed the bag of thawed in micro veggies and sausage with a little s &p, cumin, garlic, Hungarian paprika and cilantro. Next, I drained most of the fat (left some for eggs) and put it to the side on a plate. Next, I made my fluffy egg white omelet. Then, I piled on the meat, veggies and chopped tomatoes from a can. I drizzled the ranch dressing over that, topped it all with pepper cheese and stuck it under the broiler till melted. I have enough left for all of tomorrow.
    I like dinners that use one pan.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

One of my favorite dishes is to dice sweet potatoes, chop some onions, and roast in the oven with olive oil. When done, add some (canned) beans. Eat with a tortilla and avocado/guacamole. You can eat a side salad, too (I buy ready-made salad to save time).

I always meal plan. 5 kids (inc a 2 y.o.) here, and I am the only vegetarian, so I have to. I tend to have theme meals, like Mexican, sandwiches/crepes + homemade soup, Crock Pot (though it's rarely for me when I do that), etc. I am in a rut, though, and also looking for new ways to incorporate more veggies + lean protein (want to get away from dairy).

Like I said on the fitness thread, think of what you can ADD to your diet vs. subtract. Mentally easier to handle.