Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

Be Careful: Theft Warning

allison0704
9 years ago

Local Panera to meet neighbor. Our regular spot!

One man and two women working together, but man entered alone a few minutes before the women (women did not eat anything, but man had something small). Man sat behind and to the side just a bit of my friend whose open top handbag was on back of her chair. Man moved jacket from one chair to another, lifted wallet, took to restroom to remove credit cards, returned dropping wallet back into her bag, then they exited together. I even commented to her "well, they didn't stay long." :-/ I consider myself a suspicious person (DD2 does also) but it still never dawned on me what they were doing! I guess that's good, means I don't have a criminal mind.

An employee was on break nearby and also noticed them, so between the two of us we had good descriptions. She found out cards were missing when her DH called to say he had gotten a fraud alert text. Immediately after hanging up, her mother called saying the same thing (she's been sick, so my friend had one of her cards to pick up medicine, etc). They split up, going to three local stores to purchase items. It took less than 10 minutes for him to sit down/lift her wallet. They tried to spend 1K+ at one of the stores, and it was declined. Panera has cameras, but policeman said Wal-Mart and Target videos will be better. I hope they are caught!

I don't know how many times I have seen women in the grocery store with open bags in the grocery carts. Always pays to keep handbag in clear view. Don't give them a chance!

Comments (31)

• msrose
    9 years ago

I just wonder what purpose the women were in this? It seems like them sitting there without eating, would bring more suspicion to the situation.
    I hope they catch them also.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reminder to be careful. I think the women were just to make things look more 'normal' and act as lookouts for what he was doing.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Women should know by now never to hang your bag on the back of a chair in a restaurant. I out mine on the floor and stick my foot through the handle.

I hope they are caught, too. Sneaky b@st@rds. Hurray for text alerts. I have that set up on all my cards. Glad she did, too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

DH's joke in our family is "let them steal your cards, they'd probably spend less than you do."

Seriously though, it is always very disturbing to be victimized this way. Fraud alerts can be so annoying, but they work. And with the prevalence of cameras everywhere, it's a lot easier to find perpetrators. Glad there was no violence.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. I was just thinking today that I was pushing my luck when I walked away from my shopping cart for a minute, leaving my purse unattended in the basket.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know, dedtired, but sometimes one is comfortable in their environment and slip. She goes there way more than I do, many of the employees know her by name. She's retiring her handbag now. lol It's more of an inconvenience than anything x 3.

A few weekend ago, I received a text alert on our main card as DH and I were leaving a movie. It was for a $24.95 spyware purchase online. I called and they immediately froze my card until we got home to see if it was DH's spyware on his computer automatically renewing - neither of us could remember the name. It wasn't, so the cards were canceled. Still not sure where the number was stolen - could be anywhere it was used.

I just wish these people would get real jobs!

msrose, other than watching me to see if I was watching or saw him, I have no idea. Her friends said they thought he was eating something small. I couldn't see the table in front of him since his back was to me.

Needless to say, I will be watching for him/them when out in the future.

lol, mtn. You and me both.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I too never sling the purse on my chair and I never leave it in a shopping cart. When MIL was around, someone even swiped her gloves from her shopping cart!

I've also taken to using purses where the wallet parts are built in. Not only can't someone lift the wallet that way, but it also eliminates accidentally leaving the wallet somewhere which happened to a gal I know.

Thanks for the heads up and the reminder!

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

My purse never leaves my shoulder! The people that wander away with it sitting in the grocery cart amaze me! I am also vigilant when pumping gas--I lock all of the doors except the driver's side. Just call me neurotic!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I lock the doors too! I know in Texas they grab bags from cars at gas stations often. I haven't heard of that catching on here yet. I always have bag next to me in booth or in lap. I will put on back of chair if against wall. Bag stays zipped.

Wanted to add it was mid morning, so not even crowded.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Fantasizing a line of 'Vigilante purses' that are intentionally left slightly open and take pictures and sound an alarm when breached.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

That is scary Allison, even if she was foolish. Just all the predators lurking.
    I do place my purse on the shopping cart but never leave it. If I walk away from the cart, it goes with me. I also typically shop when few people are in the store too, that helps.
    I have seen that video about the gas station snatchers!

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Well get this. Our family just went to a Cardinal's baseball game in St. Louis and had a wonderful time. We used our Discover card to purchase some food and drinks. The very next morning I was sent fraud alerts and was called from Discover. Someone had ran up a 1,000.00 bill to several companies for college text books. We weren't responsible for the charges but what a pain to have to take time to deal with this, cancel your card, have to get a new one, update your accounts that you have associated with it and have to check the rest of your accounts to be sure. In this situation, I think using cash would have been safer.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I use a purse-hook when I'm in a restaurant. The top of the hook sits on the table, and your purse is suspended from the hook at the bottom under the table. I keep it between my knees.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

In related news, my DD was at an outdoor music festival this past weekend and someone snatched her iphone 5 right out of her hand. She was talking on it!

At the risk of sounding like a complete and utter fuddy duddy, what is the world coming to? This was in a very nice part of Atlanta.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'm sorry that this happened to your friend and thankful that it didn't happen to you.

I'm another whose purse never leaves her shoulder. I have a table hook, too. At gas stations, I put my purse on the floor of the driver's side and lock ALL the doors. If I have to go inside for change, my purse goes with me.

I pay cash at restaurants and gas stations, except Costco. I think one of the most likely places to get your card number stolen is at a restaurant.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"'Vigilante purses' that are intentionally left slightly open and take pictures and sound an alarm when breached."

There are alarm lanyards ... anyone grabbing and running has a shrieking alarm in the purse they are carrying.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha! I thought about an alarm this morning, but you'd have to turn off every time you reached in the bag, so it made no sense. I went by there this morning to see if they had come back - why not? It was an easy day yesterday, and who would think they would return the next day. It wasn't busy. at. all. I would have left too, if I had returned today.

This is a nice part of town too, but even the homeless are taking buses to certain corners daily. They must get money or they wouldn't return. The town where we lived for over 20+ is the richest city in our state. Someone posted on the town's FB page that robbers are breaking into locked cars on a daily basis. Three at one house this morning. They only got a backpack w/nothing in it out of one car. It's crazy.

We charge everything and pay it off once a month. I never carry cash, and if I do it's less than $100. My friend had $0 in her wallet. I'm sure they were a bit disappointed.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

With a card less than 6 mos old, the bank has sent letters to all that new ones are being issued. I hate having to update info, but the breach must have been a large one.

And now watching my account daily. I asked my son why we haven't heard about people being abused with the breaches. He said with 6 million+ credit information, all you have to do is the math. $1 charged on each one is $6 million dollars.

I do not carry a purse, there is one in the car for misc. "stuff". But the important info is carried in a passport pack over my neck or across my body. It is small and thin, but holds my phone and car key too. Have had this for 5 years, probably why my city was voted last on the dress poll last year. I live in a nice city, some computer came up with this based on the stores we have. Missed the ones amass outside city limits.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Good reminder--never hang purse on back of restaurant chair, never leave purse in shopping cart.

I often want to stop and tell people that who are doing that, but I don't because I wonder--will they think I'm a nut, or a potential thief?

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I have one of those purse hooks. Whenever we go to concerts, even at a club, I try not not to take a purse and just take my ID and cash. I have DH hold the car keys if I drive.

I had a $5 charge on my USAirways Visa that I did not recognize, but I called it in to investigate because you never know if someone is "testing" your card.

Kswl, scary! Last fall near our campus there was a group of many students sitting outside in a yard by a firepit, and 3 guys came into the yard and robbed them all of their phones.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I've hung my small purse on the back of a chair forr years, but always maintained a close eye, worried it might be 'hoisted'. Just in the last few months I've put in on an extra chair(pushed in!) or asked for a napkin and placed it on the floor, right at my feet where I can feel it, never directly on the floor. If it's just a quick bite, I'll keep it in my lap.

Like yourself Lynn, I'm very mistrustful, and my kids will definitely agree. There's something to be said for 'if the opportunity arises'....well you know the rest, and I agree it's true if you're in the company of the 'right' person/ people.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

There have been a rash of thefts in movie theaters around here, too. Women put their bag on the floor and someone behind or in front snags it and pulls it under the seat. Again, I put my foot through the strap. I also only buy bags with a zippered top and always close it. that said, I am guilty of walking away from my bag that sits in the grocery cart. Not far, but if someone were watching they could grab it and run. Like Allison's friend, I am so at home at my local grocery that I forget that there could be crooks there, too.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Recently, in the same shopping center as this incident, an elderly lady was leaving Publix (grocery store). A car drove by her and one of the occupants was hanging out the window, grabbed her handbag right off her shoulder and sped away. They caught them within a week.

My friend and I sent a few text today, but mostly about her daughters. They are both at University of Alabama, where there have been threatening You Tube comment/posts. The FBI is involved. She said keeping the girls calm was taking her mind off the CC theft.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

We have life alert, but even with that I'm paranoid about my purse being stolen. I always though having one stolen when I was in ninth grade made me overly vigilant, but in the last decade or so I've realized one can never be too careful when it comes to things like this.
    Because of a neck injury and now my shoulder and arm, I can no longer carry my purse for long periods of time on my shoulder so I use the child strap to run through the purse handle. If anyone tries to grab it they'd pull the whole cart with it.
    My wallet is safe in a zippered pocket. The most valuable things in the open part of the current purse, is my cell phone. I no longer carry my Craftsman tape measure for fear of losing it as they no longer make them. Hubby bought me a five dollar one that works just as well when I'm away from home and need to measure something.
    When I'm at a restaurant my purse hangs from my knee. When I go to the rest room I hang it over my head. Yeah, weird, but no one can get it without taking me with it.
    As the economy gets worse, these type of thefts seem to increase. We just heard of one that happened close to us and we live out in the country. Someone stole 35 bales of hay and some tools.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

A friend of mine had her American Express compromised at Costco to the tune of $2400. She did get the money back but not without a fight with American Express.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Sorry Allison, but I feel you're making a very general assumption re:Texas and handbag thefts at gas stations. I haven't heard of such an incident in the almost 7 years I've been in Austin, but won't deny anything is a possibility.

I'm really bad about not being as observant as I should when I'm shopping and my purse is in a cart. It's just by a stroke of luck it's never been swiped! Knock on wood!!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

A sister of a friend was one of a few houses were lowlifes broken windows to steal purses. They only took the cash, dumping the credit cards and purse in other yards and an alley. The police said it's young kids since they only take the cash. They used a lawn chair from her neighbor to stand on to look into her window. They left the chair under the window, no time to tidy up when there were other houses to break into.

Her neighbor said he saw someone walking around the hood at 3 am, the cop said didn't you think that was suspicious and you should call the police? The police said don't leave your purse visible - IN YOUR OWN HOME! It's crazy.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty cakes, I have family in Houston and the surrounding area, and one of my cousins has posted about it several times on Facebook.

That is crazy, hhireno.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Things like purse snatching rarely make the news unless someone is injured during the taking.
    Like I said, I'm overly cautious, so all doors are lucked unless hubby is home and working outside. Then it's the door from our home into the garage with the garage door open. Even that kind of gives me the creeps. I'm heading upstairs to take a shower soon the bedroom door will be locked, because, well, I'm paranoid about someone getting in when I can't hear. I always lock the bedroom door when home alone and taking a shower too.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I live in a nice neighborhood in a solidly middle-class suburb. We are surrounded on 2 sides, though, with areas that are much less prosperous and becoming rougher.

For years we've had problems with thefts from cars -- if you leave your car unlocked, someone will surely be in it, and if you leave anything valuable, it will be gone eventually.

The police have been telling us that the thieves are generally heroin users from our community looking mostly for cash, but then we get the regular trolling for laptops etc too.

Still, it is nothing like when I lived in north San Diego county, where my house was broken into 8 times in 2 years and cleaned out of portable valuables (my great-grandmother's necklace is a loss I still mourn, a silver filigree chain and rectangular pendent set with a square of lapis) the first time, and thereafter everything needed to set up housekeeping such as pots & pans, knives, forks, mugs, jeans, sweaters, even the clock on my bedside table. "Undocumented immigrants" coming to work at the nearby greenhouses, the sheriff said.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Allison, I believe it. Just haven't heard about any incidents here, but as justgottabme has said, may not make the news unless there's been an injury or worse. We had a series of break-ins in my neighborhood, and it was a couple of kids. On the 3rd break-in of her house, the owner took off running and caught one of them~he ratted on 2 others. Turns out they were stealing electronic equipment and fencing it to drug dealers~ I still want to believe I'm in a safe neighborhood. We haven't had any incidents since, but am considering putting my house on the market in the spring.

I keep all my doors locked also. These kids were breaking out a back window of fenced in properties. Everyone in the neighborhood ended up getting an alarm system, I have the four legged variety!