Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Any Dallas-ites here?

patty_cakes
10 years ago

My oldest DD recently moved to Austin and was very fortunate to be hired in a newly reopened 5 star hotel as a reservation agent. She is 50, and luckily has acquired a bit of thick skin working in such an environment for the last 10 years. However, yesterday she had an 'experience' that brought Her to tears. A woman, husband, and daughter were checking in, when the woman made the comment to DD that she was incompetent. There were computer problems, and the discount the woman was supposed to be getting didn't register, leaving the woman irate and walking off toward the room. She wouldn't listen to what DD was trying to explain, and her 'hoity toity' attitude was obvious to other employees as well. The hotel has only been open for a few days, but several of the guests have been Dallas residents with similar 'attitudes'. DD would like to know if this is the norm for Dallas folk, and their LA attitudes, aka, rude, self centered, and obnoxious behavior. No dis-respect intended toward those living in the big 'D'.

Comments (7)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I wouldn't say that is typical of Dallas residents - but just typical in general of obnoxious, snotty people. Were these people from Dallas or out of towners? Unfortunately some people seem to get their jollies by making others feel incompetent.

Now if by chance you make a disparaging comment about Texas you might get more feedback than you can handle. My in-laws lived in Texas and my Mother's family is from New Mexico so we spent a lot of time there.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

5 star hotel, big city, I think she will experience rude, condescending, snotty behavior on a regular basis. And for trivial matters.

I guess it doesn't help to be dealing with weary travelers, worn out by the system.

P.S. I did meet someone from Dallas once and they were beyond rude. But that doesn't really mean anything. I always thought Texans on the whole were very friendly for some reason.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 17:12

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I think maire cate and snookums are right - it's not Dallas, it's the environment and the attitude some people will exhibit regardless of circumstances. I'm not from Dallas but used to travel there regularly to see a GF and never came away with the sense that people there are rude. If anything, I felt they were overwhelmingly friendly - and sometimes so sweet my teeth would ache!!!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

After ten years in this type of environment, what was it about this particular incident that struck a cord in your daughter and "brought her to tears?"
    Chalk it up to new job, new hotel opening. Stress all around.
    Let's not put the blame on Dallas.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I'm from that area originally and go back annually for the holidays. I've noticed over the past 6 - 7 years an increase in rude behavior, so much so that I mentioned it to my family. They have no ready explanation, nor do I.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

I live in the suburbs and I don't think people in Dallas are generally rude at all!

• msrose
    10 years ago

I'm closer to Ft. Worth than Dallas, but this is not like any area of Texas that I've lived in the past. I probably meet just as many people that aren't originally from Texas as I do true Texans. I would guess Dallas is not quite as friendly as Ft. Worth, but hopefully she will meet some friendly ones that will outshine the rude ones. I've never lived in Austin, but hear it's a fun place to be.