Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

Clothing for Parkinson's Patients

allison0704
10 years ago

GW is a great source when someone has a question, so I thought some of you might be able to suggest some clothing websites and/or catalogs for my mother. She will be 80yo this Friday and was diagnosed with Parkinson's a couple of years ago. She doesn't tremble, but shuffles. Muscle mass is extremely low. She is petite. Pre-PD she was 100lbs and 5ft tall, now she's 84lbs and probably 4" shorter. Little known fact: Many Parkinson's patients loose 20% of their weight the 12-24 months after being diagnosed. That's easier on a person if they are larger to begin with, but she has always been petite.

She has plenty of canes and is about to order a walker on wheels with a seat. She gets tired easily. Eats well, which is good. Has good doctors and my father is still in excellent shape, so he picks up the slack (slowness) in the kitchen and helps her out of bed each morning. My sister is about to retire, so she will start going to their house 3-4 days a week to help. When the time comes, they'll hire sitter(s) as needed, but for now they would rather not have their privacy invaded. As long as she's not falling we're comfortable with that decision.

She requested a few catalogs, which I've ordered online or by phone (can't get over the websites that don't let you order online!). I don't know what she's specifically looking for, but she is a smart dresser and likes to look nice, even if staying home for the day. They are still going out to dinner with friends and family, the grocery store, haircuts and doctor appointments.

Thanks in advance.
Allison

Comments (4)

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

My mom has Parkinson's also. She's about the same age as your mother and, like yours, has always been petite and always well dressed. She also lost about 20% of her weight within a year after being diagnosed.

In the Summers she and my dad live in their summer home near my one sis who is an RN. The rest of the year they now live with another sis and her DH in Atlanta. Both sisters tell me that they find things for Mom on line at Silverts, Adaptive Outlet.com and Adaptawear.com. I received a great catalog from a national company that also specializes in clothing for disabled folks, but I don't recall the name. I just sent it on to my mom. My sisters tell me that Penneys is also a good source at times.

With Mom, Parkinson's has affected her gait, causing her to shuffle, and her voice, which now becomes thin and strained at times. It has also caused her right hand (only) to shake, which makes doing her hair, writing and eating difficult.

Putting on her jewelry, tying shoe laces and buttoning buttons is pretty much impossible these days, so steer away from buttons, etc.

Because her shuffling creates multiple daily tripping hazards, my sisters buy her only comfortable, flat soled shoes that Velcro on securely. No heels whatsoever and no thick soles or sandals. Shoes choices have been the hardest for Mom to accept, clothing-wise. Until this Parkinson's hit, my mother was a beautiful, energetic little blond dynamo who looked very much like Doris Day. It breaks her heart not to be able to wear pretty clothes and shoes anymore. And, it breaks my heart that it breaks her heart.

BTW, throw rugs have proven to be the most dangerous household things for Mom. No more throw rugs in either home now. Her sandals also caused several bad falls and all have since been donated to Goodwill. Another problem that she's encountered recently is that she's having problems moving around and turning over in bed. They've had to take off her Tempurpedic mattress pad, which helps some. Flannel and heavier nightwear make it to hard for her to move, so it's good that their Winters are now spent in a semi- warm climate. My Atlanta sis jokes with Mom that she's going to buy her some silky pj's and watch her slide from one side of the bed to the other and right off onto the floor (LOL). Mom still has her great sense of humor and loves it!
    Lynn

• allison0704
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting, Lynn. Our mothers are in the same boat, as Mom as many of the issues your mother has - turning over in bed and her voice (I can hardly hear her on the phone sometimes). She went to therapy for her voice and it did improve, but she slips and forgets to use what she learned. She had shoulder surgery a few years ago, and the surgeon told Dad then her muscle mass was almost non-existent. Jaw clinching is something she's noticing more lately. She's had a more masked face the last few years too. That's hard to adjust too since she's always had a fun personality and a sense of humor.

She's still wearing sandals around the house and so far no tripping. She's never been a high heel shoe person, so it hasn't been too bad. She helped her mother with her shoes when she was older - she didn't have Parkinson's but a bad knee and bunions.

I just ordered her some Vanity Fair sleeveless gowns (her favorite) and bought a RL robe locally today. She'll have to have the sleeves taken up, but she liked the material weight and color.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. Silverts was one I ordered today. Saw Mom had bought Parkinson's for Dummies. At least she's not in denial. lol

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

A friend who has Parkinson's had a jeweler change her necklaces and other pieces to magnetic clasps so she could still put them on herself. I suppose at some point she will no longer be able to even do that, but gave her some feeling of independence for a time.

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

Allison and Lynn - My best wishes to you and your families in helping your mothers life their best lives.

Java

Sponsored
Samantha Friedman Interior Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Washington DC Metro Interior Designer Best of Houzz Service & Design