Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovestowalk

Wheelbarrow recommendation??

lovestowalk
9 years ago

My DD loves to garden and has indicated she needs a wheelbarrow?? Her birthday is coming up, and I think a wheelbarrow would be the perfect gift for her. Does anyone have one they recommend? I have heard that two wheels are better than one.

It would be used for hauling mulch, soil, pots, etc. around her yard.

Comments (24)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

I would consider a dump cart, like this one from Tractor Supply, for general gardening like that, I think it is more useful.

For a 2-wheel wheelbarrow, the one that Lowe's has is pretty good. We found it was a decent quality and will likely be purchasing another one. We use the wheelbarrow for hauling rocks and it was much sturdier than the supposed contractor quality one we bought at Tractor Supply on which the metal was weak and thin. Depending on her locale, you could consider purchasing solid wheels too. We live in an area with a lot of cactus and the upgraded wheels were essential for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dump cart

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm with grubby...a one wheel contractor grade. Go to Sears.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    9 years ago

For my birthday a couple of days ago I got this garden cart. it's so much more versatile than a wheelbarrow. It will hold 1000#! Turns on a dime and doesn't dump like a wheelbarrow. The HUGE tires makes it easy to maneuver in the garden or yard. The sides can fold down or come off completely. And it can be hooked up to a riding mower. I can put the sides down and sit on it too. Best birthday gift I've received in years!

• jmc01
    9 years ago

I garden and I also thought I wanted a wheelbarrow. But then I saw someone using a Heavy duty Radio Flyer wagon and I got my wagon instead. Mine's very much like the garden cart above. I love my wagon. Heavy duty with removable sides.

The huge huge plus to a wagon is that it only takes one hand to move it.

That said, we also have a wheelbarrow and it's used exclusively to move loose mulch and compost that we have delivered each spring. I try and mke ure DH get tht job....but I'm not always successful.

• lovestowalk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your recommendations. I will check them all out and let you know what we buying.

• plaidbird
    9 years ago

The wagons add weight to what your pulling, plus they need a wider path. Needs less arm strength to balance with heavy loads. More wheels to pump up the and wiggle parts to be maintained ( oiled protected from rust).

Best quality contractors wheelbarrow will be at a contractors supply or masons supply house. Worth the extra effort to locate. Mines close to 30 years old and doing fine. I store it outdoors but tipped up and protected.. Best for mixing soil mixes, concrete or hypertufa.

My best recommendation for long term, carry lots with less effort is a cart like this: Linked below:
    http://www.gardeners.com/buy/medium-garden-cart/8587700.html?start=5&cgid=GardeningTools_Dept

Mines older and was made by a local craftsman, but Gardeners Supply has a good reputation. Remember the width of the most used paths need to be taken into consideration when picking a size. They have a new model ( poly tough cart) seen by scrolling down that page that looks nice too.

I've got all three styles over the many years I've gardened and each has a more specific use, but the wagon will go to a young gardener before long I'm sure. I'm really noticing the added weight the last couple years.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardeners.com/buy/medium-garden-cart/8587700.html?start=5&cgid=GardeningTools_Dept

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest the same garden cart that plaid bird suggested. Best investment you can make and your DD will thank you every day she uses it. You can almost handle the thing with one hand. I have had mine for over 12 years (maybe longer, I can't recall) and it is still going strong. It is my second one in 40 years. Ex husband got the first one.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Agree with grubby. The thing about those one wheel types is that you can manipulate the wheelbarrow into tight areas, i.e. through perennial beds, without needing a lot of driving room, just the width of the wheel.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I'm a third vote for the 2 wheeled garden cart like plaidbird's suggestion. I use one for moving compost, pots of plants, buckets or bags of potting soil, crates of harvested potatoes, etc. Its biggest advantages for me besides its huge capacity is that it is tip-proof and can be pushed or pulled easily. I also have a wheelbarrow, but having tipped over heavy unbalanced loads with it too often in my hilly and irregular yard garden, I mostly use it for mixing potting soil and sieving compost, and occasionally for moving large bags of light weight mulch. If your daughter is bigger than I am, perhaps the tipability of wheelbarrows won't be a problem, but I am an average sized woman who likes to move above average sized loads, and I find the garden cart works better for most things for me.

• plaidbird
    9 years ago

So we agree.. you need both a wheelbarrow and a cart. :)

The only thing we've missed is that the cart doesn't do well going across a slope. One wheel can balance that better. But beware, a heavy load in a wheelbarrow and not balanced right you can seriously hurt a shoulder if you don't just let it drop when you realize your in trouble. Most of us only do that once though.

Choice is also going to depend on how serious the gardener is. When I first started I used one of those little $30 wheelbarrows sold most places, and it was just fine for what I was doing. If the daughter is maybe having a passing fling here, spending the same money on a mix of things with a less expensive wheelbarrow might be a better way to go.

The reason I'm back is the most amazing thing happened. I got to thinking about my cart maker and Googled. Looks like they kept making the carts ! What a happy feeling. I remember meeting them back in the very beginning.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.homesteadcarts.com/

• lovestowalk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all the recommendations!!! You have been very helpful.

I am leaning towards the cart that plaidbird, nhbabs, and outsideplaying recommended. Again, thanks so much!

This post was edited by lovestowalk on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 11:39

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Plaidbird, part of our yard is on a slope and I don't have any problem at all with the garden cart on a slope. I have pushed and pulled it quite full on a slope with no problem. Those bicycle tires make all the difference. I really like the removable back wall too for dumping and cleaning out the cart.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I've had both-wheelbarrow and the garden cart. I loved the garden cart for hauling landscaping blocks, but agree that it was not good for things that need to be dumped (soil, mulch, gravel).

I found a heavy duty polyethylene with fiberglass arms that is lightweight enough for me to handle. I can't over load it or it will tip, but that's good because then I can't hurt myself! I love that it's easy to hose out. DH uses a contractors wheelbarrow (metal) for the concrete work he does, but I find it too heavy for my gardening needs.

I had wanted a hard wheel but DH explained to me that they're harder to maneuver over uneven surfaces than inflateable tires.

Maybe query your DD as to what her specific needs are? If she's got room, both would be a great option!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I also have a cart but it attaches to the back of the lawnmower. I use it extensively.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I have both and must be an idiot with a wheel barrow. It always ends up dumping over the side. Since I love my wagon, it has held up for 10yrs and have only had to buy a couple of $5 tires for it. Could us a new paint job. Like the dump back, just raise the handle and out all comes. The one thing about the wagon is an open base, I put a layer of plastic sheeting is the contents is too small and could fall through. Which is something to think about if using it for weeds. A wheel barrow may be best with solid sides so the weed seeds don't get moved around on the ground.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's pricey, but I think the absolute best garden cart is the garden cart from Carts Vermont. The big wheels make it so easy to navigate, and the front slides off for longer branches and dumping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carts Vermont

• lovestowalk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix, technicolor, Bumblebeez, and Pesky. I'm going with the Vermont Cart in red.

Everyone's input has been wonderful.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cool! Great gift! I want one.

Lol.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Lovestowalk, glad you decided, but I have a question on why you decided on the more expensive Carts Vermont vs the Garden Cart from Gardener's Supply? Did anyone have any specific experience with it versus the Garden Cart that I missed? I'm just curious and always wonder what tips someones decision in favor of one thing vs another. They seem very similar.

• lovestowalk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually ordered the mid-sized Garden Cart from Gardener's Supply. The reason I said "Vermont" cart is the description said made in Vermont. Sorry for the confusion! The reason I ordered from Gardener's Supply was price. It was 15% off $229 vs $274.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

We have a Vermont Cart at my mom's property. It's the best. I love that I can either push or pull. The huge wheels are great and make it easy to lift, plus the open back makes it easy to rake out the mulch or leaves. Ours has been around for ages and is still in good shape.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Ah, now I get it! Yes, the Gardener's Supply carts used to be knows as 'Garden Way' carts and were made in Vermont. Glad to know they still are. Mine is red too, btw. You got a good deal at 15% off. Gardener's has some great sales now and then. Hope your DD will be as happy with hers as I have been with mine.

• worxaerocart
    7 years ago

not spam, but anyway, thanks sushipup1 !