Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iheartgiantschnauzer

He killed a man. Your thoughts?

I've attached the YouTube link below.

I don't understand why he felt the need to confess to the public before the police. Many diversion programs require talking at schools, etc. It seemed to me he was trying to preemptively tape a PSA for a more lenient sentence. I don't understand how coming forward months later in a publicity stunt is heroic or any of the other effusive adjectives I've heard describing this man. Honorable? Wouldn't the noble or honorable thing been to have never driven drunk or to have owned up to the tragic consequences immediately?

If you were the victims family, what would you think? I don't think he comes off as sincere. Then again I have no sympathy for drunk drivers since a relative and 26 other died because one drunken idiot driving the wrong way on the interstate crashed into a bus in 1988.

Curious if I'm just too jaded to be objective about this....

Here is a link that might be useful: You tube video

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 14:59

Comments (12)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Im with you. Ive found myself to be so much more cynical about what I see in this YouTube age, and I call 95% of it to be boolpuckey.

From a legal standpoint, Id think it would not be admissable in the courts as it would likely set precedent (if I confess to the court of public opinion before the court of Law, i am seeking leniency pre-trial and it could affect jury selection). I actually suspect it`ll turn out that its a PSA, since its awfully well done for an amatuer `confession` video.

And also, the drunks I know will NEVER quit drinking and driving. No kid `confessing` to doing it will ever change their minds, since they really do not believe that they have a problem. Non-alcoholics who drink are generally aware if theyve had too much or they get a DD. Those who drink to the black out point and then climb behind the wheel will not be stopped by this video.

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

This happened in Columbus and there was an article in the Dispatch this morning about this video.

The prosecutor said charges for vehicular homicide were going to the grand jury Monday, so he's looking at a minimum of 2-10 years minimum sentencing.

I think he sounded sincere, and at least he's pleading guilty and not trying to dodge the charges by lying.

Of course, it will not ever bring back the man killed, but at least he's trying to atone in some manner.

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

Here's the article in the Dispatch for more background on the story.

Here is a link that might be useful: Columbus Dispatch Drunk Driver Video Confession

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't understand how he wasn't charged immediately back in June. Did he flee the scene or did they not do a BAL at the hospital where he was treated for burns? But to let it go for almost 2 months, then apologize and admit your guilt in a video rather than marching yourself down to the police station and allowing them to take your confession and charge you that day seems manipulative to me. Does this video benefit anyone other than the killer? he could have taped this video after he was released from jail and awaiting sentencing.

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

Since he was in the hospital he wasn't charged the day of the accident. In certain crimes, a grand jury has to indict someone.

It is up to the prosecutor to submit charges to a grand jury - which can take several months in some cases. Why it takes that long is another question. You can't just walk into a jail and say lock me up. He has to have a trial etc.

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I showed it to my son; his 1st thought was that the video will show he has remorse for what he did.

I guess we'll see what happens..

Here is a link that might be useful: Original post on Because I said I would

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

This video will not "benefit" him in any way.
    There is no jury nullification at risk.
    After speaking to attorneys and listening to how to proceed to trail ,because the guilty always prefer trial,he has chosen another route.
    He will stand up in front of a judge and simply plead guilty.
    No year of testimony or reenactment of the crime .
    No blame on the car or inadequate road signs.
    No getting the blood test thrown out.
    In this age of viral video if he touches just one soul
    I'm fine with that.....

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I have to admit, I didn't even watch the video, but too many people are trying to 'work' the public, to get out of some/all of their sentence. I live near Spokane, where the WWII veteran was beaten to death, because he didn't hand over his money, to two teens. The boys tried to say the veteran was selling them drugs and the deal went bad. Yeah, right. Now it's not enough to kill someone, you need to drag their name through the mud to try to avoid the consequences. And one of these 'kids' should have been in jail for a previous beating charge (other younger boys) a short time earlier. So sad :(

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand you can't just walk into the police station; however that man could have cooperated with police or insurance company for the last month BEFORE he released video. I think the video could be used to lessen sentencing. If it's election year for a judge or pressure is pushed on DA to ask for the minimal sentence... This video could sway public opinion which applies pressure to the da and/or judge. Justice should be blind and immune to politics, but in reality justice is rarely immune to politics.

However you have a good point, maybe it will make a difference to some kid who decides to take a cab rather than drive...

That murder case in Spokane is unbelievable lav. It just makes me sad.

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

You may be right that he may have an ulterior motive, but I do believe he wasn't hiding or avoiding being charged. The justice system just moves that slow for some cases.

Interestingly enough, this morning there was an article about him being charged and arrested. He is to plead guilty and his sentencing is in a month. The prosecutor stated in the paper he is going to ask for the full sentence of 8.5 years. The guy's attorney said he is prepared to serve a full sentence. So think what you want, but he is stepping up and taking responsibility for his actions and causing the death of an innocent 61 year old man.

Over 1 million people have viewed his video, so regardless of his intent, I would hope a few out of that million + people got something out of his video.

• User
    10 years ago

I remember being young and stupid at 22. It takes courage to admit something like this. I hope a lot of young stupid adults get to watch this and realize it "CAN" happen to you. Sometimes young adults think they are invincible.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Personally I don't see or hear any sincerity in this video at all. No emotion. It's as if he memorized what he'd say and says it. His voice is as smooth as bad actor reciting lines in monotone without any cracks which I believe anyone that truly felt remorse would not be able to escape.
    I don't think there's anything they could do to this young man that would make what he did any less difficult for the family of the man he killed. BUT I don't think he should be treated with leniency because of this video either. It sickens me. I show more emotion when I've accidentally killed a bug than this kid did for killing another human being.
    With that being said, if he really is taking full responsibility for his actions and not having a trial, then that alone is honorable, but why do the video? Without there being any emotion shown at all I think he's got an ulterior motive. Maybe an early release for good behavior? I do hope he's learned his lesson and will never drink again, let alone drink and drive.