Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riosamba

Colorado floods ruined Grandma's yearbook

riosamba
10 years ago

Hello everything, the scale of the disaster here is something I can't quite comprehend. Today we are going through my grandmother's things.

Her high school yearbook is completely soaked, most pages stuck together. Does anyone know the first steps to restore. I'm afraid to make it worse. The photo restoration shop doesn't know what to do. I can't stop working to research, but am hoping the collective wisdom here will bail us out! See what I did there, bail, a little flood humor.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

If it's just water then it's not too hard but if it's mud or anything that might be contaminated then special handling is required.

Is it possible to quickly scan all the pages so that you can print them later? Hopefully her school still has a copy - you could scan that too.

Here is a link that might be useful: tips for drying wet books

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Try putting it in a big box of rice to dry it out. They recommend that for phones that get dropped in water.

Seperate any pages you can, once they dry, they might stick together causing more damage.

• riosamba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much ladies, I followed the instructions from maire_caite's link. It was timely, as we found an additional wet box filled with various memorabillia and photos. I will add the bed of rice tomorrow.

I will let you know what happens.

We are so fortunate that all of our friends and family are safe, but almost everyone in our family and all of our close friends have severe damage. It's been a long ten days of crisis management and cleaning, pumping, etc.

Time to rest, tomorrow, back into the fray!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

riosamba - The tips I posted work well for water damaged books. When I was a librarian for the Free Library of Philadelphia we often tried to salvage books that had been returned with water issues.

I hope this works for you. Maire

• golddust
    10 years ago

What a well rounded group who participates here. Pure brilliance does exist. I'm never leaving.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Rio....Am grateful to know you and your family are safe. The devastation is beyond anything we have seen here. I am in western El Paso county. Keeping watch every day for so much happening in your area and ours. Please continue to be safe, I know there is more work ahead for you and the process an ongoing event with many needs. Sadly the restoration and cleanup has just begun and so many people without homes to return to.

Your grandmother's year book is precious. Hoping you can restore it. Biggest concern is the pages which are stuck together. Reading the instructions Maire posted is very interesting and usable info.

Maire...Thank you for your link. Do you know how to separate pages which have been melded together? The information mentions clay based paper being the biggest culprit. This also occurs with photos.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

Technicolor, I'm also in El Paso county!:)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

OT -- Maire I also worked at FLP from the late '90s to the early 2000's in the Development Office. I wonder if we were there at the same time?

Riosamba, I am so sorry that you and your family were affected by the floods. I have friends in Boulder, so I have been following the story. I do hope you are able to rescue your Mom's yearbooks and other items.

• riosamba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone!

The yearbooks (we found another one) are improving, some of the pages that were stuck together can now be separated.

The newspaper clippings, commencement booklets, etc. are completely dry.

Some photos taken during my grandfather's WWII service were destroyed; they looked like Rorsach tests. Those were the only total loss.

Tomorrow I will be making a million telephone calls, trying to restore some order at home (we had very minimal water coming in here), and trying to get furniture to some who need it in temporary housing.
    Thanks for all the help and kind wishes.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Riosamba - I'm so glad you checked in again. The news coverage of the flooding and devastation is unbelievably sad.
    I hope you haven't lost too many treasures.

OT: dedtired - Oh what a shame - I was gone before you worked there. I was a reference librarian at the Northeast Regional Library and then head of the Lawncrest Branch. After the birth of my first child we moved out of the city and closer to DH's work. But I couldn't give up the library - I volunteered at my kids' school library for years.
    I'm always amazed at the coincidences that connect so many of us here.

Maire

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Funnygirl....Think there are more than a couple of us from the area. Have wondered if any were affected by the fires and floods. Woke up at 3 this morning with a major down pour and hail. I will not complain again during winter about being at the top of a hill and not being able to get home. There are 4 small streams at the bottom of my street which are fed by those near the base of mountains. So many have flooded basements, plus loss of homes or cannot get to their homes. And only a couple of blocks away. Manitou definitely has had enough, the emotions of all has to be at a limit dealing with more.

Rio...haven't checked the rainfall in your area. Hopefully you can continue to dry out and last night's rain stayed away. What wonders these tragic events create. With all going on personally, you are actually going out to help others? A lesson of great generosity. Continue to keep safe.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Maire Cate, too bad we did not meet. I loved working at Central. It was the best job I ever had. I worked there during the Changing Lives Campaign for the branch libraries. I'm also involved at my public library now as a volunteer and a Board member.

To all the Coloradans, I do hope some dry weather is on the horizon and you are soon able to restore your homes and possessions. The pictures I have seen were horrendous.