Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wen hair product

Posted by amj0517 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 14:44

Hi - Has anyone here tried the Wen hair products? What do you think of it? The marketing says that it is good for all hair types. I have very fine hair, but a lot of it.

At my last haircut my stylist suggested that I get a straightening treatment to smooth my hair, but I've never put any chemical in hair so I'm a bit apprehensive. I was roped into the Wen info-mercial this morning and am wondering if it may do the trick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wen hair product

I'm never sucked in by infomercials because of a bias that thinks that if someone has a good product (and can afford to pay for an infomercial) it will take off from regular marketing and word of mouth. So I haven't tried it...but you might want to check out this site...maybe there is info to help you decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: wen reviews

o

There was a discussion about this system a while back. Some people, rather than spend the money for the Wen products use the "No Poo" method. You can look it up. My DD follows it and has had success.

o

I have a friend that loves Wen, but it's too spendy for me. I have been using the L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner and it makes my hair clean, soft, and manageable. I also use the leave in spray from the same line. That said, I don't think that it's a substitute for a Keratin Hair treatment. I have a friend that has that done, and it is not damaging to the hair. I would like to get it done, but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for it.

o

I've used Wen for over two years and my hair is in fabulous shape. I have fine, thin hair. I have just enough bounce and my color / highlights stay fresh forever.

I buy all my products from www.qvc.com. His prices are so much cheaper there. I'm on auto-delivery so its very easy to keep it on my shelf..

Good luck! I will tell you that you need to follow the directions, i.e., for me that is wet hair, two pumps of Wen worked into my hair, then I finish showering, then I wash it like I would if it were shampoo, rinse it out, and then 1/2 pump into my hand and distributed through my hair. I'm then finished and can style like I want.

o

I bought into the Wen hype too, and so I purchased a bottle. It is very expensive (for me anyway), but it sounded too good so I just had to try it.

I hated it. HATED it. I tried it several times for several days in a row, read and re-read the directions...and every day my hair got worse and worse. My scalp itched, my hair felt dirty.

I tried the exact amount suggested, I tried more pumps of the product, I tried less pumps - I tried leaving it on longer and shorter....Nope. No difference.

My hair felt dirty/waxy, it was more limp than before and yet paradoxically it was also MORE frizzy while being more limp - and after 4 or 5 days my scalp itched so bad I couldn't take it anymore.

I am thrilled it works so well for some people, but I'm here to tell you it does NOT work for everyone. :)

Do NOT buy it on their website. I've heard they sign you up for automatic shipments that are very hard to cancel. If you are trying it for the first time, buy it through Amazon - you can return it if it doesn't work, and you won't get stuck having to hassle with Wen's "customer service" people. (I don't have first-hand knowledge, but read a lot complaints in the reviews on Amazon...)

o

I was ready to order it after reading upa_lazy_river's post, but now patriceny has me second-guessing. If I even put a few squirts of hairspray in my hair it looks greasy by the end of the day. That is why I am leary of anything "leave in". Maybe I'll just give it a try through amazon so it can be returned if I hate it.

It is expensive for me too, but I figured that it would be less expensive than a salon treatment.

Thanks.

o

You're quite welcome.

If you don't believe me, read any of the 1 or 2 star reviews on Amazon.

There are a lot of disappointed people. But there are a lot of happy buyers of it on there too. So who knows. But over and over, what you WILL see is people complaining of how hard it is to cancel the automatic shipments if you buy directly from Wen...so just be careful. :)

o

Paula Begoun (Cosmetics Cop) gave the products very poor reviews. Unfortunately, she no longer reviews hair care products, and I can no longer find her old reviews of hair stuff, but I clearly recall that she did not like Wen products at all. She said the shampoo did not clean the hair or scalp effectively, for one thing, which can lead to scalp acne, irritation, and not very attractive looking or nice feeling hair!

o

I have read quite a bit about the no poo way of "washing" and similar hair care lines and I can't bring myself to try any of them!
Seriously, my hair is wildly itchy by day 3 of not shampooing, I can hardly believe that as a child I washed my hair once a week- or, more so, my mother made me.

I know you have to "work through" the excess-oil issues and eventually the scalp will rebalance itself to not being washed, but still, weeks of itchy, oily scalp is not worth it to me.

o

Since I buy mine from www.qvc.com, amj0517, you can go online and read reviews from people that use it and that may help you decide if you want it or not. On QVC the auto delivery program is very easy to postpone a shipment (maybe you haven't used it all or just don't want it that cycle) or cancel completely. I have postponed shipments before. I go to my account and just set my date for a future day.

o

I use Wen but I have very short, thin hair and use one pump. If I used 8-10 pumps like they suggest, I couldn't afford it. It lasts almost a year and I don't have to buy conditioner.

It doesn't make my hair amazing but I didn't have amazing hair before. It is clean and soft and I like the styling gels.

While camping I did use it to shave my legs, now that was amazing. They've never been so soft but that would be pricey daily.

o

Try Sally's "Hair One" line first, they have a good variety for hair types & you don't get sucked into that constant shipment cycle, especially if you decide you don't care for it. (Believe you can return within 30 days if you don't like it.) You can also get a wide tooth wet hair comb there for a couple $. I liked it in the dry winter months, switched in summer, will probably go back to it in winter. I have fine color treated hair, it leaves it soft, with body, no static & isn't weighed down. It just felt less harsh on my hair. Based on reviews a lot of how well it works (or doesn't) depends on individual hair type. Sally's often has it on sale, too & if you get their Beauty Club card you'll get discounts. I thought at $5 the Club Card was a rip-off but I saved that much on my first purchase with it and easily saved quite a bit more with discounts through the rest of the year and I don't shop there all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sally's Hair One

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here