Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Stray cat problem. What to do?

dedtired
10 years ago

All summer I have had a problem with a stray cat using my front garden beds as a litter box. I've put down all kinds of deterrents but it still comes around. I had planned on calling a cat rescue group to catch it and possibly find a home for it. They are a no-kill group. I would not call our local animal control as they take them to the SPCA where they are mostly put down.

Anyway, now I hear that my very nice next door neighbor is feeding the cat and she and her kids consider it their outdoor pet. Nevertheless, the darn cat still is using my yard for its personal toilet. I don't think it is neutered. I hear it yowling at night.

If the neighbor is feeding for it, should she be responsible for it? Should I ask her to please keep it at home and to consider having it neutered? I don't want to appear as Elvira Gulch who had Toto taken away, but I don't want it in my yard either.

How should I handle this?

Comments (34)

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Get a dog. (wink)

Seriously, that's a tough one. My cat is an indoor cat. There have been neighborhood cats that roam outdoors but none ever seemed to use my yard as a litter box. Perhaps having a large dog scared them away, although there was one particular cat that wasn't afraid of him. I'd find it sunbathing on my deck from time to time.

I think first step would be to ask the neighbor what her plans are for the cat. If they consider the cat their "outdoor pet" then they need to take more responsibility for it than just feeding it to keep it from starving - i.e. they need to take it to vet for shots, get it neutered/spayed if not already, etc. If not, then you should definitely call the cat rescue group as they will get it proper care.

In the meantime, I have no idea how to solve the "litter box" issue as I've never faced that. My current dog likes to help himself to what's in my cat's litter box if I don't get there to scoop b/f he sees what's in there. GROSS! So I guess if there were any cats roaming in my yard and making deposits then he's probably taking care of them. BLEH. These kind of neighbor issues are tough - my neighbor used to complain all the time about an outdoor cat that was using her yard as a litter box but she never did anything about it other than voice her complaints to everyone but the owner.

This post was edited by fourkids4us on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 19:31

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We had a neighbor cat who would also use our yard and mulch. We had the rubber tire mulch which they are not supposed to like, and he even used that! So, that is one option. We also used the Shakeaway coyote/fox urine granules which did not work at all. These neighbors recently moved away. Their other cat was killed by a car. Our neighborhood has some higher traffic streets like ours, and letting cats out is just irresponsible.

I agree, this cat needs some medical attention at least for shots and flea/tick protection plus probably spay/neuter.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

A dog won't help. I have a large black lab and my next door neighbor's cat still prefers my yard to his. Maybe he's avoiding the 2 dogs that share his turf.

As 4 kids suggested I would speak with the neighbor. If she doesn't plan on adopting the cat full time then let her know that you'll take the cat to a no kill shelter. But the only way to solve the cat from using your yard is if your neighbor keeps the cat indoors.

I'm having the same problem with my next door neighbor and her outdoor cat who roams the neighborhood, spending most of his time in my yard. The cat loves my garage and we've accidentally shut him inside several times.

I asked her this afternoon what she plans on doing with the cat in the winter. She said she'd leave an opening in the garage door. I asked if she had a litter box and she said no. I informed her that her cat urinated in my garage and that I'm treating the area to remove the smell.

She apologized and said she'd get rid of the cat but she's said that before. DH wants me to tell her that we'll take it to the shelter if she doesn't keep it home.

This post was edited by maire_cate on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:51

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like that phrase "what are your plans for it". So much nicer than "if that's going to be your cat, keep it the hell out of my garden".

I had some wire fencing so I laid that on the ground behind one set of shrubs and that seemed to discourage it for awhile. Then I noticed a new "addition". I have been throwing pine cones back there and also poured some lemon-scented ammonia. There are just heaps of cat-do there that I have to deal with. I understand it can carry diseases.

The smell of the cat urine is nauseating. Other neighbors also have mentioned that the cat has been grabbing birds off their feeders.

I just hate any kind of confrontation. She is a lovely mom, single with three kids. She is doing a wonderful job of raising them and they are nice children. She's had to go back to work, and still manages to keep things under control (except the cat!). A pox on her rotten husband who left them for someone else. She even tolerates his occasional presence for the benefit of the kids.

Guess I will just approach her nicely the next time I see her.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Honestly, there's not much the woman can do unless she turns it into an indoor cat. Neutering a cat doesn't keep them at home, as they don't magically realize the boundaries of 'their' yard. There are some motion-activated sprinklers and motion-activated squealers (ear-piercing to cats; not detectable by humans). Cats HATE water and I doubt they like the ear piercing noise. I have no idea how expensive they are, but a few strategically placed ones might just do the trick.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

No fun. I like the idea of motion sensor sprinklers if they aren't too expensive. Also love the idea of asking what her plans are for winter! Good luck, Ded.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Also, just thought of this-is she having a vet check it and give it its shots? If her children play with it, that is very important. We used to go to Gensler right there in the village.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How about

Here is a link that might be useful: Stay away

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Have you discussed the cat at all with your neighbor? Since it is a stray, it doesn't belong to anyone so you have every right to take the cat to the shelter. If your neighbor asks about it tell her that you took the cat to a shelter because you could no longer stand the litter problem. She might just assume the cat has moved on. I'm afraid if you go to the neighbor first she may promise to take charge of the cat and then not follow through by making it an indoor cat and getting a litter box, litter, etc. then you're really stuck. As a single working mom she may not have the time or funds to take care of the cat, which is different than putting food out once in awhile.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, Cyn, Genser sold his practice a few years ago.He and his wife moved away. When I still had pets, I used him too. Nothing is the same in the old home town.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am seriously considering one of those water sprinklers. My son cuts my grass for me and he just told me there were a couple piles of dog poop on the lawn, left by night time dog walkers. Not even along the sidewalk, but close to the front door, so someone is letting their dog off leash.

I am tired of dealing with other people's animals! If I wanted to clean up after animals, I'd get my own. I love animals but I am past that time of my life.

Ha ha, on top of all this, I have a mouse in the kitchen. It's a conspiracy.

Annie, I was looking at that on Amazon.

If the neighbor wants the cat as a pet, I can't just have it "disappear". I really hope she will choose to be a responsible pet owner. Ill ask her what her "plan" is for the cat. Sigh.

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

If the neighbor wants the cat as a pet, I can't just have it "disappear".

I agree. I hope the spinklers work for you.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Definitely call a group where they will trap/release to spay/neuter. Will help at least with yowling and you will be doing a very good thing for animals everywhere!

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

We can't open our front windows in nice weather because of someone else's cat who urinates in our front bushes. I am a huge pet lover, but do not like being a victim of someone else's irresponsibility. Those who let cats off their property are just that.

I suspect your neighbor is wishy-washy about this cat--the kids want it, she doesn't. Feeding it and not letting it in the house is a way to placate them so they still feel ownership. It's the kids who will be hurt. I'd probably bite the bullet, and tell the neighbor directly how disruptive the cat's activities are to the neighborhood, ask if she wants to keep it, then offer to pay for its shots and neutering myself to make it an indoor cat. Let her know the cat has to be dealt with in some way. If she balks at that, she doesn't really want the cat, and I'd follow up with a call to a no-kill shelter. She may be relieved, too. You could be dealing with this for years. Our last cat lived to 22.

Good luck.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Twenty two? That's the oldest cat I ever heard of. My last cat made it to 18.

As I write this, the cat is sitting on their back patio. She's at work and the kids are at school, so it is not being kept indoors.

She seems to be financially okay. She has a pretty good job and I think her XH does well (finance guy in NYC) and supports the kids. So, she can well afford to neuter the cat and get its shots. I;m just going to have to talk to her. I'm still liking the phrase "your plans for the cat".

I out some d-con out for the mouse last night and he obviously had a feast on it so I hope that problem is solved. Now why do I feel bad about that? Poor mousey. Hey! Maybe the cat chased all the mice to my house. Hmmm.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I would try the sprinkler deterrent .
    Cats hate water.
    She can keep an outdoor cat but also provide it with a poop place .If she could just put a litter box in the far corner of her yard for the cat to use that can be cleaned.

I agree that the urine is the worst.I can't open my bathroom window because my next door neighbors just got their 3rd dog.
    They all prefer the fence next to me.
    And on a warm day...........

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=motion%20detector%20sprinkler&sprefix=motion+d%2Cpets%2C190

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I wish the Stay Away would work. I can see two drawbacks though. One is that the cat has to be within 3 feet of the sensor to be detected. You might need several sensors to keep a cat out of your garden.

The other problem is that I think dedtired and I live in the same zone. Water in a hose will freeze in the winter and render the sprinkler useless. But beyond that you should turn the outside spigot off and disconnect your hose from the hose bib in the winter so that you don't have frozen water damaging your pipes.

If you speak with your neighbor I hope it goes better than the conversation I had with mine about her cat. She just says that she's sorry and that she's planning on giving the cat away. But I've heard that now for several months. She's a very nice woman but she isn't going to do anything.

Good luck, Maire

This post was edited by maire_cate on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 13:31

• Olychick
    10 years ago

forboys, maybe one of those motion detector sprinklers would work near the fence...every time the dogs approach to lift their leg the sprinkler turns on and scares them away. I'd sure try it for a while to try to get the ability to open the window at night. You wouldn't have to keep it on all winter to risk freezing...hopefully they will have learned by then to not use the fence.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought about the freezing problem, so that would only work through mid-November. That may be enough time to teach the local cats and dogs a lesson. At least I'd feel like I'm doing something to fight back.

I'll have to remember to turn it off for Halloween. I get tons of kids here.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

She seems to be financially okay. She has a pretty good job and I think her XH does well (finance guy in NYC) and supports the kids. So, she can well afford to neuter the cat and get its shots. I;m just going to have to talk to her. I'm still liking the phrase "your plans for the cat".

Do that. I love this cat already, but please don't forget how many cats and kittens are killed each year. It's heartbreaking, and perhaps This cat is the starfish that is saved, but she needs to go the extra effort to do so.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

When I'm done with watering I attach this to the hose.
    Funny how the last time I bought some it was called Odor Killer .
    I guess the word "killer" offended people..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/NaturVet-Eliminator-Concentrate-Spray-Ounce/dp/B000EHZFK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379388564&sr=8-1&keywords=yard+deodorizer

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Oly~I meant to say that they are on their side of the fence so I don't think the detector would work.

• User
    10 years ago

Do NOT use ammonia...it has the effect of attracting cats, not deterring them.

I have had trouble with a cat spraying on my front door at night and I have found that plain vinegar has helped a little.

Other strong smells like citrus, pepper, cloves, garlic can serve as repellents. Here is a recipe for a home made repellent that combines some of these things.

2 cups white vinegar
    1 tablespoon whole cloves
    2 or 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    2 or 3 chilis (small skinny hot ones)
    2 or 3 drops of concentrated dish washing liquid
    Black pepper
    Water to fill bottle
    Combine all ingredients in an empty two litre bottle, and leave mixture overnight. Fill a spray bottle and spray around the area that you wish to deter cats from. Keep the remaining mixture for later. You donâÂÂt need to spray much to give the cats the hint. Just respray every week or two until they disappear. Be aware that this recipe has a very unpleasant odour, so do not spray in the house or near open windows, and do not spray directly onto the cats.

• User
    10 years ago

Removed duplicate post.

This post was edited by deejaus on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 18:03

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that "recipe" deejaus.

Once before I sprayed my wood picket fence with Murphy's citrus scented oil soap. The dogs don't like that smell and avoided it. Time for another dose. I do a lot of gardening along that fence and always have to wear gloves and wash, wash, wash after. I am just so tired of dealing with the "activities" of other people's pets.

In the meantime, the mouse (I am beginning to suspect mice) is chowing down on the d-con. Why do I feel guilty about this? I did not invite them in! Last spring I had the mother of all ant invasions. That one finally required an exterminator.

Haven't seen the cat today and I haven't run into the neighbor, so that conversation has yet to happen. Maybe she has brought the kitty indoors since we are having a cold snap.

• User
    10 years ago

I am a cat lover...in fact animals of all sorts....but when this sort of thing happens I am not happy, so I feel your frustration dedtired.

Good luck, I hope you get it all worked out!

Dee.

• User
    10 years ago

I am a cat lover...in fact animals of all sorts....but when this sort of thing happens I am not happy, so I feel your frustration dedtired.

Good luck, I hope you get it all worked out!

Dee.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

So, let me get this straight. You have a mouse problem inside and a cat problem outside ... I know you'll yell at me for even suggesting it, but why don't you just adopt the cat and let the neighbour kids play with it?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Have you tried putting something there that makes it uncomfortable for them to dig? Small pebbles under a chunky mulch or something. An aromatic mulch, like cedar, might also be a deterrent. You need to make it uncomfortable on their paws. Turn a sprinkler on when you see them? lol

As far as neutering, we have a Spay and Save organization that traps and neuters feral cats, returning them back to the site, and offers discounts to those in need.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 0:19

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, if the cat were not so dirty looking (it has long hair, all matted), I might be tempted to invite it in to catch the mouse. Fortunately, the d-con seems to have worked.

I have a big evergreen tree that drops tons of pine cones, so I have been tossing them behind the bushes where the cat frequents. I read somewhere that cats won't walk on them because they are sticky and sharpish.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I'm glad you're having some success. Your comment about the cones reminded me that when we went to a local farmers to get some free corn, the farmer showed us how they planted pumpkins around the corn to keep the raccoons out. We have some pumpkins taking over our small garden right now and I can barely get in to get my tomatoes the vines are so prickly. Any chance, you could find some pumpkin vines to throw on the area?

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never knew pumpkin vines are prickly, although now that I think about it, the stems kind of hurt when you grab them. Not sure where I would find vines here in suburbia!

I haven't seen the cat for a couple days and another neighbor told me who walking their dog at night and letting it poop on my lawn (and others, I have learned). That neighbor is about to get an earful from several of us. And the mouse appears to be dead. Ding dong.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

So glad you've had resolution.

The nerve of the late night dog walker! On our block, we've found that in the last little while the culture of dog owners has changed. When we (politely) ask that they pick up after their dogs, we are now often met with incredulity that we aren't so smitten with the cuteness of their "babies" that we would happily put up with a poop on our lawn. The kids at the school across the street have had to make signs like, "we play tag here. Please clean up after your dog." I know it's not all dog owners, but there has been a definite shift.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of the dog owners on my street are diligent about picking up. I just wish they would get their dog to use the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street rather than the lawn. Even better, wait until the dog has pooped on their own property before walking it.

It really galls me that they are so sneaky to not clean up in the dark of night. Obviously they know it is not acceptable.

Yes, we do have dog owners on the street who truly think their dogs are something special, somehow "above" the other pooches.

Our local elementary school had signs posted that say "no dogs allowed". It also says no golf (divots), no horses and no motorized vehicles. Since it is a public school the police do cruise by and enforce the rules. The township provides two large fenced off-leash dog parks.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

The nerve of that dog owner. How rude! I've been "blessed" with a dog, who like most people, prefers pooping at home. :) No matter how long of a walk he goes on, he saves it for the backyard! I think he prefers being off leash when doing his business so he saves it for when he can run around and find his spot.

I got into it once when I saw someone let their dog poop on my neighbor's yard and walk away. She didn't see me as I was sitting on my driveway watching my kids while they were playing outside. I walked over to my neighbor's lawn to double check there was poop, and sure enough, fresh steaming poop. My neighbor had been complaining about a dog leaving poop in his yard, so I yelled after the woman to come clean up after her dog. She yelled back that her dog didn't poop! But I SAW IT with my own eyes. She kept walking after we exchanged a few words. I could not believe it. It's no wonder she never had any friends in our neighborhood.

The thing that REALLY gets me are the dog owners who let their dogs run loose while they walk along, sometimes several blocks, behind. Having been bitten by a loose dog in our neighborhood 15 years ago, I get really angry when I see them. I don't mind the ones that accidentally get out, but the ones who knowingly just let their dogs run ahead. And half the time they are too busy on their cell phones to notice their dog pooping in someone's yard a block ahead. Ugh.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia