Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Les Mis fans...the movie!

stinky-gardener
11 years ago

Can't wait for the Christmas release of Les Miserables!

Here's a link to the official site. Click on "extended look" for an interesting behind the scenes peek. The "teaser" is also amazing.

I've seen the show 4 times, twice on Broadway. Have two versions of the CD. Know every word to every song. Have the mug and the t-shirt!

The short videos linked above moved me to tears...so beautiful. The music is just extraordinary, and what a story! Ann Hathaway looks like she's going to be an outstanding Fantine...I had no idea she could sing, much less sing so well! She is a superb actress.

Any Les Mis fans around here? Will you go to see the film?

Here is a link that might be useful: Movie site

Comments (69)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'm really want the movie to be great and maybe I'll be surprised, but listening to previews and interviews on NPR, I was so disappointed in the choice of Anne Hathaway for a singing role. Ugh, her voice was awful on the clips I heard. Not off key or anything, but weak and thin. Anyone else heard anything different?

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

"..... Anne Hathaway, broken and degraded as Fantine, forced to sell her teeth and her body to feed her child, utterly crushed her solo, "I Dreamed a Dream," by beckoning the audience in instead of belting. " This is part of a review in People.

I just listened to the song and thought she did a wonderful job.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

If anyone is near Philadelphia Les Mis is playing at the Kimmel Center in January. It's a new .........
    from the Kimmel Center description......

" 25th anniversary production of Boublil & Schonberg's legendary musical, Les Miserables, with glorious new staging and dazzlingly reimagined scenery inspired by the paintings of Victor Hugo. This new production has been acclaimed by critics, fans and new audiences and is breaking box office records wherever it goes. The New York Times calls this Les Miserables 'an unquestionably spectacular production from start to finish.' The London Times hails the new show 'a five star hit, astonishingly powerful.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Kimmel Center

• torsade
    11 years ago

Lurker logging in to say I'm also WAY excited to see Les Miserables. I've seen it four or five times on stage. Pretty much cry through the entire performance. We have the CDs and my daughter and I know every note and every word on them. We have the Liam Neeson movie as well.
    Les Miserables, in any form, is magic for us!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Cannot wait!

Just finished listening to the original London cast recording--hadn't listened to it in awhile. Tears were flowing!

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

We saw the trailer at the theatre for this movie & also learned that the singing is done "live" with the scene. No lip synching or linking their acting to the pre-reorded music. I think that will be fascinating to see.

We have a movie date picked out on 1/5 to go see it with my sister...so looking forward to it. I saw the play here several years ago & it was wonderful.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

It was awesome!!!!!! (10 pm show Christmas Eve)

Just saw it with my sweet DH who loved it, too!

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

We were going to see it yesterday, but ended up spending all of our time just hanging out with family instead. Maybe this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it, and appreciate the rave review! :-)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I had seen the play a few times, with different casts and in different locations, so despite a few minor quibbles, it lived up to my expectations (eg., Russel Crowe sounded "flat" during the first few songs, yet was surprisingly good on Stars). Overall, it was pretty much a faithful adaptation.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

DS & DIL are watching it right this minute! My DH read the book when he was in his 20's and he refuses to see it in a musical form. lol.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

From the first commercial I saw on the tube I knew I had to see it! I think just that smidgen of music captivated me...and Ms. Hathaway's voice, angelic! I'll be going this weekend!!

• User
    11 years ago

Went to the new theater that just opened up a week before Christmas on Christmas day for the 4:00 showing. After buying our popcorn and drinks and actually eating everything, about 4:20 the manager came out to inform the audience that the projector was broken and the movie was cancelled. They did compensate and give everyone two movie passes each, plus we were able to pick a movie of our choice to watch right then and there, so we watched Parental Guidance which started at 4:30. So I am looking forward to seeing Les Miserable on New Year's Eve, going to old theater though just in case.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

My sister saw it yesterday and said it was more than she ever could expect. She said she will go again to see it, that's how much she enjoyed it. Was sad when it was over.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

We saw it yesterday at the 10 a.m. showing; I wanted to sit in the recliners section , which is the new thing at IPic in Boca Raton, you get a fleece blanket also and free popcorn. What a mega production, so good.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cat mom, so glad you liked the movie! Thanks for stopping back here with your review. Mitch, glad you enjoyed! There's a few here who "didn't quite make it there"...& Yaygal, your sis liked it- will you be going soon? I hope to see it tomorrow!

Here's the NY Times review from today's paper. Mostly a good review, but the writer seems annoyed with the director's camera work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Review

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I'm going over to my sister's on Tuesday and I'll take her to see it with me. Eat out and probably spend the night, we like to do that every two weeks, weather permitting.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Okay so my sis that saw the movie the other day took her husband and found a theater with the largest screen and saw it again!!! She loved it more and her husband now wants to see it again. I plan on Wed. as I too found a big movie screen theater. She said it makes a huge difference, literally lol.
    Oh and the tee shirts can be found online, I went to the England site, just google Les Miz tee shirts.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Saw it today! Loved it. Ann's Fantine was the best I've ever seen. She was superb. Russell Crowe has a surprisingly good voice, but lacked an edgy sharpness needed for Javert, imo. The Thernardiers were just perfect, imo. I really wondered how they would be handled in the movie, & they were spot on; funny & ironic, but not overdone. Cossette was good-not spectacular. Marius, who in the stage productions I've seen was usually so much fluff, in the movie has real presence, especially as the story goes on. Great job! All the "rich young students" revolting were fabulous!!! Eponine was marvelous. Hugh's Jean Val Jean was very well-done, but a bit different from the stage versions I've seen.

Outstanding movie with great performances! I'd like to see it again!

One of my favorite scenes in the play is when JVJ is captured by police & returned to the rectory for stealing silver, & the priest responds, "Surely something slipped your mind..." That was beautifully done in the film, & we are treated to a surprise cameo performance by Colm Wilkinson (the first ever JVJ in the stage production) as the priest. That, & JVJ's confession- "Who am I? 24601!" always choke me up in the play & these scenes were just as powerful in the film!

• User
    11 years ago

I have seen the movie twice now, and IMO it out performs any stage production of Les Miserables I've ever seen. One gets a much better grasp of the overall sweep of the story --passage of time, changing of place, movement of the national sentiment post Revolution, etc.---- with the advantages of the movie format.

And thank God someone has finally wrested "I Dreamed a Dream" away from that awful Susan Boyle!

• geogirl1
    11 years ago

We saw the movie while visiting family, all Les Mis fans. Les Mis is one of my all time favorite shows. In my opinion, having seen the show several times the show is a much better "experience" while the movie showcased the story better. Les Mis is about the music and music is downplayed in the movie. I did really enjoy the movie, except Russell Crowe, he was not the right voice for the job. He could sing the notes, but in no way had the richness of voice required to be Javere. I thought Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman were fabulous. I also loved, loved the women who played Eponine. She played Eponine on Broadway and was just wonderful in the movie. Well worth the price of admission, but still not the same as seeing it live.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I caught the three twenty today with my Sandy. Cried most of the way through it. Loved it so much! I even liked Russel Crowe.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Just returned from les Miz -so many masterful performances. I was especially taken with Daniel Huttlestone, who plays the young street boy, and with Eddie Redmayne who plays Marius. What a treat to see a movie of this caliber.

• User
    11 years ago

My DD saw this yesterday with my mom (moms 2nd time, DDs first). DD cried the last hour, and declared it the best movie she's ever seen. She's 26 and has seen two stage productions of Les Miz.

Also, she said--- and I quote--- "hottest. Guys. EVER."
    So it clearly appeals to all ages :-)

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"One gets a much better grasp of the overall sweep of the story..."~ Kswl

"...the movie showcased the story better..."~Geogirl

I agree with you both-the movie is a value-added experience for Les Miz fans, not just another spin on the musical to make money. (Though money is being made by the boat-load I sincerely hope! Success on a grand scale is well deserved...so much talent brought to the project!).

So glad you enjoyed it, Golddust! Yes, tissues are a must!

Bestyears, yes, dh & I were also quite impressed with "Marius!" Gavroche was amazing.

Do y'all think that the movie would be enjoyed by someone who has never seen the stage production? We fans have an advantage- we already know every word to every song. We are watching the film through a filter, so to speak. I thought about taking someone to see it, but she's never seen the show, is not familiar with the story or the music accept for a couple of the "greatest hits" sort of songs! It could seem ridiculous & really long to a non-fan? ( I don't know!).

Kswl, that's so cute..."hottest guys ever!" LOL!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'm so excited to read your reviews. Am going today with 2 non-Miz familiar folks (I've only seen the traveling Broadway production once) but they are big movie people (I am not) so I'm hoping they love it as much as I think I am going to after reading this thread.

I think, sung out of context of the play, Susan Boyle sang the song beautifully. Some of the words seemed so apropos to her situation.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

How would you fans compare it to the 1998 movie? I haven't seen the play or either movie.

Does the older one have spoken dialog, or is it all singing like the new one?

Thanks for the info, I would like to see it but couldn't talk husband into going to see a all-singing movie! I may go with someone else...

• golddust
    11 years ago

Nancy, go by yourself! Take tissues.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nance, I wish I could go with you! No comparison to any other movie. This is the film version of the stage production. The music is gorgeous! You might check out the CD from your library to get acquainted first, or just take the plunge & go!

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

goldie and stinky, wish I could go see it with both of you! One way or another, I won't miss it.

We did go see "Lincoln" today-- it was great!

• texanjana
    11 years ago

I have seen two live productions of Les Mis - one in NY and one in London. DH and I went to see the movie today, thought it was fantastic and as always was blubbering by the end.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I did see it today and as you all said, it was fantastic. I rescind my opinion of Anne Hathaway's voice and think she did a wonderful job of singing and acting.

That opening scene of the men pulling the ships was stunning. It never occurred to me about how they would get a ship into dry dock before having the machinery to do it. I just couldn't get over all the scenes like that. I know much was computer generated, but still, it was so informative about the times and place.

It was so emotionally draining. I was spent afterwards.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Olychick, it is interesting that you felt emotionally spent after seeing the movie.

Aimee asked me if she should go see it and I didn't know how to answer... She is till trying to get over 'Bambi' and Kramer verses Kramer. I told her I thought it was emotional but in a compassionate kind of way. She is on the fence.

For those of you who have seen it more than once, how can I better describe why one cries through it but loves it anyway?

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

I have never read or seen anything in regards to Les Mis(always heard of it though). If I'm not into that kind of thing, would I still like it? I may just have to try it and see.

I would like to know the same as goldie...about the crying, but still enjoying it.

I can't do "too sad" right now, so are they happy tears, or people die, or what?

Thanks!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Golddust, I think it is one of those gut-wrenching human (many interwoven) stories of adversity and pain, where the human spirit survives. But the reality of the level of inhumanity and brutality to others, the eternal story of the haves vs. the have nots, the sacrifices people are willing to make for freedom and those they love, or even just for other people, the optimism and spirit of youth, the blooming of love and compassion amid the worst conditions anyone can imagine, touches on just about every emotion you can feel. It is epic in that way, with music that also evokes and magnifies those emotions. And there was even some humor!

I can't watch Bambi either, so don't know what to say about this story or movie for her.(How old, mature is she? Is she a person who loves human story)? It is spectacular, but very emotional and sad in myriad ways. And yet, I am so glad I saw it.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Sorry, Ollie, I didn't see your post/questions. Yes, it's very sad - not happy tears. But so beautifully done, it might be very good for a cathartic cry.

• User
    11 years ago

Finally saw it yesterday. Beautiful story cried several times. For me though there was too much singing, and not very good singing imo. I would have enjoyed the movie more had there been less singing and more talking. Anne Hathaway did an amazing job both acting and singing. I didnt enjoy Hugh or Russell's singing most of the time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We went with friends yesterday. I thought the movie was terrific, the production was so well done, the sets, the costuming, Anne Hathaway's song was incredible, the music was wonderful. There were only a few places where spoken rather than sung words would have seen less stilted. Russell Crowe was miscast as his voice wasn't up to the part. DH enjoyed it too, more so than the play, as the dialog in all the parts and music was very understandable, which doesn't usually happen in a stage environment. Highly recommend it.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So well said, Olychick!

Rose & Annie- Yes, RC was not up to the task.

Seems like most of us were less than thrilled with Russell Crowe's performance, lol! He was the weak link in the cast, we all seem to agree! I wonder who else was up for the role? Is there negative buzz "out there" about RC, or is it just us, lol?

When visiting New Years day with my sisters who have not seen the movie yet (but both have seen the play numerous times!) we had the CD soundtrack to the film on. Sisters thought RC sounded dreadful. We all started laughing when he was singing. We quite enjoyed most of the CD though. We had to stop talking & sat spellbound listening to "One Day More" & the finale, "Do You Hear the People Sing?"! The film versions of these tour de force numbers completely hold up to the outstanding original cast recording!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Some of you may have seen this video, but it's priceless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parents crying after Les Mis

• golddust
    11 years ago

"We've been to funerals of family members where we have cried less."

Priceless, Oakley.

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

My SIL and I saw it yesterday. 2 people with no previous experience-neither of us had seen a theatrical performance, or a previous movie. I vaguely knew what the plot was, she vaguely knew it had been released as a film sometime awhile ago.

So. Neither of us liked it much. Sorrysorrysorry, but this is a very honest reaction from a non-Les Mis fan.

We didn't quite realize it was literally a filming of a musical theatrical production. So the fact that there was almost no spoken dialogue, that the sets were clearly CGI generated, and that there was an utter lack of any film-style narrative, character development, or explanation of backstory meant that for us, it was mostly a very long couple of hours listening to a lot of singing of songs we didn't know interspersed with trying to figure out what the heck was going on with the plot. We both thought Anne Hathaway was fantastic, but again had no idea that her role was, in film terms, little more than an extended cameo. She was brought in, sacked, humiliated, mutilated (although how come she had her front teeth back in when she sang the Dream song?!?!?), belted out a showstopper, and died. It was nice to see her later as a ghost, especially with her hair combed. The other performers: Hugh Jackman is adorable and sang well. Russell Crowe was in the opinion of my SIL pretty sexy. Amanda Seyfrid's singing voice is SOOOO high pitched; I kept waiting for her to veer off into Minnie Riperton territory.

Neither of us really understood what the heck was wrong with Javert; at one point my SIL whispered to me 'that dude needs to get a hobby or some therapy'. Why did he suddenly appear out of uniform toward the end? What was that group of young guys fighting about? How did Jean Valjean become a mayor, and then where the heck did he hide out all that time? How could Cosette and Marius fall in love just by looking at each other? Why was Eponine suddenly in drag? When will it be over?

Oops, last question was rhetorical. However, unfortunately the report from this Les Miz virgin is a pretty frank thumbs down. I truly don't mean to offend the fans, but neither of us were impressed. Oh wait, we did enjoy the Helena Bonham Carter/Sacha Baron Cohen characters; now that was some funny stuff.

It did accomplish one of my goals, which is to see as many of the presumptive award nominee films as possible. So there is that to report :).

Ann

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Ann, I imagine there are a LOT of people who haven't seen le Miserables on stage will feel as you do. I think there are live theater people and movie people; I am a live theater person and seldom see movies. I'm sure there are many who are fans of both. But with live theater you don't get all the details that can be shown in a movie. There are usually only one or two sets to evoke the setting.

I think of this as more of an opera - on film (or video? do they even use film any more?) Sometimes you have to do a little research into the story to "get" it all, but the pleasure is derived from the interpretation of the parts by the different performers, the music, the sets and costumes. You have to suspend reality in order to fully enjoy the entertainment. And you have to love a good cry.

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

Oly, I completely agree. I'm a definite movie person--love, adore and try to see as many as possible.

And also like the concept of thinking of this as an 'opera' rather than a linear story. That is a very good filter!

Ann

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Haha, Ann, our family went to see Skyfall on Christmas day, it was/is about to drop out of the theaters here so I thought it would be mostly empty. Wrong! It was sold out and we were all highly psyched up for it.
    I had to make a split second decision - what other movie? Your post echoed all the misgivings I had about Les Mis and I had already subjected Dad to one musical that week, Sound of Music which I watched/listened to/sang along while baking for Christmas dinner.

But while quickly deciding what other movie to choose, I picked Lincoln. I will see Les Mis some day at home.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

I'd never seen the stage production, but went tonight with girlfriends to see the film. I had heard it was a 3 hankie film, but I didn't expect how it would just get to me. I absolutely loved it.

Bit of a back story-one of our cats had gotten out today and at 5:15 when I'd spoken to DH, the cat still wasn't back. I had forgotten my cell phone at home, so couldn't check with DH to find out the status of the cat. When I got home from the movie, he told me the cat was in and I burst into tears and just kept sobbing. I told DH it was because I was worried about the cat-how could I tell him it was pent up emotion from that movie?

Another side note-the young man who plays Marius-could be my son's doppleganger!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Pesky, I have cried so many happy tears when my missing cats have turned up. I completely understand. Nice to have a smoke screen (movie) for all those tears of relief.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

pesky and olychick, maybe you are more like me....I'm a happy ending cryer....I'm a rock through the worst of anything, but when the happy ending comes, I'm all blubber.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Even though I enjoyed it a lot, I found it a tad long and I did not cry, at all.

I had seen it on Broadway years ago, so that might make a difference.

• CaroleOH
    11 years ago

I have never seen the live performance, so didn't know what to expect. I enjoyed the movie - but some things just didn't make sense. I guess they didn't have to, but just some quirky things.

I too was blown away by the manual labor of the slaves towing in the ship - but they just sort of left it there lilting to the side. So I guess that was close enough?

I thought Ann's rendition of "I had a Dream" was marvelous. I was amazed at how she was able to sing while showing so much angst. I wonder if she did it in one take. It would be so difficult to muster up all that emotion over and over. I wish her role had lasted longer.

Hugh Jackman was excellent. Didn't even recognize him from the slave role to the business owner role! In one scene where his shirt was open, visions of the Wolverine role clouded over.

I too loved the little boy's role in the movie.

What I felt most in the movie was the intense suffering of the people of France at that time - hunger, cold, oppression, unfairness - it was all too much.

The only scene that I thought was so ridiculous - and I admit to having a little snort and laugh was when Javier ended it all falling from the bridge. They had this beautiful multiple layer waterfall - and when he fell, there was this horrible thump where he hit one of the embankments. I told my friend, he was only off by a foot and he would have gracefully disappeared. But no, they had to make him thump - it was enough to make you cringe! But, maybe because emotions were welling up - I laughed!

Overall, it was a very good movie. I don't think I'll pay to see it again though - sort of a bucket list thing - been there done that.

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

"The only scene that I thought was so ridiculous - and I admit to having a little snort and laugh was when Javier ended it all falling from the bridge. They had this beautiful multiple layer waterfall - and when he fell, there was this horrible thump where he hit one of the embankments. I told my friend, he was only off by a foot and he would have gracefully disappeared. But no, they had to make him thump - it was enough to make you cringe! But, maybe because emotions were welling up - I laughed!"

Well, since you mention it...I actually leaned over to my SIL and said 'thank god, I was afraid he was going to pop up and keep singing.'

Re. Anne Hathaway-yes, she has said in an interview she did the song in one tak. It was an amazing performance, wonder if she'll snag a supporting actress nomination on Thursday.

Ann