Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Anyone sending a freshman off to college this weekend?

Sueb20
10 years ago

I still have a year to go (which I hope passes slowly in some ways) for my DS, but this article still brought a tear to my eye.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

Comments (16)

• deegw
    10 years ago

A tear? I was one step away from a melt down. :)

So true and poignant.

"But it comes as surprising as a thief, taking what you value most."

"The very best thing about your life is a short stage in someone elseâÂÂs story."

Mine is a junior in college and it still takes the wind out of our sails every time she goes back.

• deegw
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by deee on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 16:36

• golddust
    10 years ago

Maybe I've been a parent too long but I have been childless for seven years and it's an adjustment having one home again.

I have children 18 years apart, took care of both Grands until they could talk well enough to tattle on a bad daycare. I'm DONE!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deee, it was the second quote you listed that got me, too.

My older son was a difficult kid in many ways. We love him, but by the time he went to college, we were READY. I still cried a little when we left him. But I cried a whole lot more on the way to pick him up 6 months later when he decided to drop out ;)

Second DS is entirely different, has just been a ray of sunshine for the most part, and when he leaves (especially if he goes to a school 5 hours away like he seems to want to) it will be really hard for both DH and me...possibly more for DH because then he'll be alone with me and DD, who will be 13 then!

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

That was great Sue. DD is going back for her senior year. She actually left last week, but returned to work at my sister's restaurant this weekend. (Labor Day hell). We were happy to see her go last week, and will be happy to see her go again. :) She's a wonderful kid, but it's funny, at 21, some separation is needed.

DS is a Junior in HS. He and his friends are here all the time. I adore them all. When they leave, a big part of my heart will go too. Allison was always a little more self-sufficient and detached. Her friends didn't spend a lot of time here.

Not thinking about it further. :)

Beth P.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

My oldest grandchild is a senior this year and I know once she goes away to college next year, it's going to be VERY VERY hard for me, too! I remember when her Dad left for college in 1987. I cried all the way home from the train station which was an hour and a half from home. The college was 1200 MILES away!

• User
    10 years ago

Our college junior is spending the fall semester in New York taking acting classes. He'd been to Europe several times, once for a summer school at RADA, so the junior semester abroad became instead an opportunity to see if he would really like living in NYC and if live theater is really for him. He is a theater major with a concentration in acting, so this self-designed semester is a perfect fit for his interests and degree. He left this morning, flying up by himself; some of us drove him to the airport and we had a vile breakfast send off in an airport restaurant.

You'd think I would be used to this. Two of our three kids went to boarding school, and camp before that. This particular boy started going to sleep away camp for two weeks at age six! The next year he was away for a month. Our daughter stayed at camp for entire summers starting when she was almost that young. We value experiences and particularly the benefit of other wise and caring adults helping to shape our children's worldview. (The author of that article was just about right about the advisability of sending adolescents off to learn from adults other than parents!)

Still, Child #3 as we call him-- as if he were an extra in the family play---is off for the umpteenth time and I am still sad and still miss him. No matter how many times they leave, it is still the same. Maybe when he leaves for good we will not miss them as much.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth, so true about 21 yo "kids." Ours lived at home for 2 years after leaving college. Earned a certificate from a local university and then went to another program in another state for 3 months, then home again to be unemployed for 6 months. Now, thankfully, he has a job AND an apt. (only a few miles away so he still shows up sometimes for dinner and/or laundry) and we all like each other so much more!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Although I felt a touch of sadness each time for both daughters when we dropped them off at their dorm room, I couldn't help but feel so much more excited for them!
    I went to a local college so I was thrilled to see my DD's have the opportunity to go away to college.
    When you walk through any campus, you can feel all endless possibilities.
    And, they always come back. Right now DD2 is living back home, while she figures out her next step in life.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 21:27

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

No, just to sixth grade, and day school, but I found myself sobbing when I dropped her off for her first day! It took me totally by surprise.

She is a very good kid and so mature for her age -- 11! -- and really motivated. Her new school looks like a movie set for a classic New England "prep school". I expect Reese Witherspoon to saunter by with a toy poodle. I choked up because both DH and I went to public schools ... and universities ... yet she seems so at home in this elite crowd. I am so happy we can do this for her, and like a poster said above, so excited for her.

She will go far, I know ... but also, one day, far from us, too, I know. : (

SueB, I am going to have to wait a few days before I can read the link!

• User
    10 years ago

Middle school / new school is very exciting, mtn. It always surprises me how self possessed the sixth and seventh graders are now. I'm pretty sure I was an unaware blob of protoplasm at that age.

Heard from DS2 tonight who is loving NYC, no surprise there, and has already made a new friend. His acting classes start at the end of this week and he's very excited. And also heard from my sister in law who dropped off my eldest nephew at boarding school Tuesday--- his first year there, ninth grade--- and she was also experiencing the sad/happy parent thing. It's funny that something so wonderful can cause such feelings of sadness. (Although I seem to remember us walking out of DD's boarding school dorm doing the happy dance, lol.)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mtn, my DD started at a private day school last year (also 6th grade) and it has been fantastic for her. She is a quiet kid who would have been happy sitting in the back row, never asking questions or volunteering answers, in our large public middle school. This school is a much better fit for her, with only 34 kids in her whole grade! Our public middle school has 10+ classes of about 25 kids each.

Last night, everyone was out except for 18 yo DS and me, and we had such a nice conversation over dinner. I'm going to be a total mess at this time next year, but at the moment he seems to be favoring a college close to home, which I'm secretly rooting for. (I'm trying to be cool about it when we talk, because I don't want him to feel compelled to stay close to home because of me!) It's going to be an interesting year...

• bpath
    10 years ago

kswl, DS is a sophomore also majoring in theater, concentration in acting. Sending him off to school in the cornfields was easier than letting him trek the maze of trains, buses, and neighborhoods to Second City workshops every day over the summer.

• User
    10 years ago

bpathome, LOVE Second City! I wish DS2 would do more comedy as we think it is his strongest suit. We were lucky to get him into a great living situation just a few blocks away from the studio so no transportation needed except his own two legs, thank heavens.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

Oldest son completed his associates degree at local community college and we sent him off to a university 1 hour from our home. He is living with 4 other friends in a house a few blocks from the college. He worked and saved enough money to pay his rent for a year. He has done a lot right and seems to be taking school seriously but I know there is partying going on. Honestly I'm relieved to not really know the details of his daily life. He tends to be disorganized and runs late everywhere but so far he is the earliest and tidiest one of the bunch. Maybe he just needed to get out and spread his wings.
    2nd oldest son is in 10th grade. Last year was rough finding where he fits with friends, classes, ect. This year he is off to a great start. Both my boys are bright but tend to be underachievers so I think, hope and pray they are starting off great.
    My daughter moved up to the middle school for 6th grade this year. She is my over achiever. She was nervous about all the typical things like: getting her locker opened, finding her classes, ect. She has settled in nicely. She is very busy with extra curricular activities. I felt how I expected to feel this year; sad to see my oldest leave the nest wondering if I did a good enough job. And, sad to have no children in elementary school, no one to walk to school for the first time in 15 years. It really forces you to look at your own life - where you are, what it all means, where you're going with your own things, ect. I'm searching more now for where I fit and what is out there for me. I work part-time and am exploring other options for myself. It's all so tough - this motherhood stuff. I'm sure you all can relate.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus