Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Purina Diet..

User
10 years ago

A RETIREE'S LAST TRIP TO PUBLIX

Yesterday I was at the Villages' (an area north of Orlando full of retirees) Publix (our large food chain in Florida) buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, Owen, the Wonder Dog and was in the check-out line when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog. What did she think I had an elephant?

So because I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse, I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again.

I added that I probably shouldn't, because I ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.I told her that it was essentially a Perfect Diet and that the way that it works is, to load your pants pockets with Purina Nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete, (certified), so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I had stopped to pee on a fire hydrant and a car hit me. I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

Publix won't let me shop there anymore.

Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the World to think of crazy things to say.

Forward this (especially) to all your retired friends...it will be their laugh for the day!

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Lol!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

DH already acts like that and he's far from being retired!

Long time ago we bought a DVD player at Wal-Mart. You know how they check your receipt at the door? Well, DH was carrying the DVD player and I had the receipt. As we approach the poor receipt checker, DH sticks the DVD player under his arm like a football, takes of in a full on sprint and yells, "They'll never get me!" Of course, I follow up behind him and present the receipt. The lady went from panic to laughter and asked me if he always does that sort of thing. I said, "Unfortunately yes." And she said, "He's a keeper!"

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Hilarious. How were you able to keep a straight face?

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Thanks -I need a laugh today!

• anitamo
    10 years ago

Thank you for the laughs! I actually am laughing out loud! I'd have loved to see the look on that woman's face.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

So funny.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

These stories remind me of my dad who was quite the jokester. Two vivid memories...one time my parents were going on vacation and I must have been in my teens/early 20's and took them to the airport. We checked them in and proceeded up the escalator to the gate (long before TSA). As we got to the top of the escalator my dad yelled out as loud as he could "I'm on vacation!" Everyone in the area laughed and began clapping. I, of course, was absolutely mortified.

One April Fool's dad got up in the middle of the night and set every clock ahead one hour...all four kids got to school an hour early that day.

• sis3
    10 years ago

I have an airport escalator story too.
    DH and I were on one of those very long, slow moving escalators at an airport. 3 loaded escalators over a man was having a ridiculously loud conversation on his cell phone. My normally quiet and reserved DH, without warning, suddenly shouted across to the cell phone guy "Can you please speak up, I can't hear you!" The whole place erupted in laughter and there was a ripple of applause!

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

Thanks for the laugh. I grew up shopping at Publix. Remember when they were closed on Sunday's? I can totally picture this story as it unfolds. My Mom lives in Sarasota and I imagine there are just as many Seniors on the lamb as the at the Villages'. (:

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oh that is so funny! IâÂÂm sitting here laughing and my husband wants to know why so IâÂÂm going to read it to him.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Oh Trail....

I KNEW you were a bad influence on me...;-)

Faron
    PS- If there's ever a "Golden-Girls" remake, you'd better be in it!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I read the story about the Purina diet a few years back only it was at WM. Still hilarious. Reminds me of "Here's Your Sign" comedy routine by Bill Engvall.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you are all enjoying this ! It was sent to me by someone on my church email ! There are lots of other " I'm not allowed back into ...." jokes out there..,some are somewhat off color...so I won't post here. You can do a Google search. c

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

My late granddad was a retired machinist/tool and die maker and a world class bull$hitter. He liked to work on old VWs and had a beetle that he . . . modified . . . back in the '70s. He made these little hurricane-sign-looking spinners for the hubcaps, and mounted some sheet-metal, plastic and cast-off transmission-cooler contraption on the back of the car. Under that he posted a sign that said "experimental - solar-powered". He got several years of enjoyment out of spinning tales to folks who inquired about the car. He was awesome.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

The joke is on me, because I thought you really did this! I did wonder why you were in Orlando to grocery shop when I knew you lived in Alabama. Guess I am having some senior moments of my own!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Oh my stars. Here I thought this thread was another tragic dog food warning.

LOL!