Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Hey, Gardenweb: I'll NEVER Watch "Betrayal" Because of these Ads

kswl2
10 years ago

Just that. They are intrusive and obnoxious, and this type of advertising makes me resolve not to watch, buy or use the product being advertised.

Comments (13)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Get adblock. My system was at a crawl with all the ads dancing around. Some sort of a flash/shockwave problem. No more!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Switch to Firefox and use Adblock Plus. You want get ANY ads!

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone; Fire Fox or Chrome with Adblock
    Are you on Windows or Mac?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I run a particular software on my pc that requires internet explorer, so neither Firefox nor chrome are options for me on this computer. (I also really dislike Chrome and almost all google products.) In the past I've deleted some registration code that eliminated host banner ads, I guess I need to look for those instructions again.

Just wanted GW to know that the ads are 100% counterproductive. Would love for the advertiser to know that, too....

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Adblock is available for Internet Explorer now. I don't know if it's as effective as it is for Chrome or Firefox.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adblock for IE

• graywings123
    10 years ago

What kind of software are you running? (If I may ask.)

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is called Optum Ingenix, it is an EMR. It's browser based, optimized for IE, and I am at home (after a vacation) cleaning up my help queue on that program.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I don't get the pop up on my computer using Firefox, but it's driving me crazy on my tablet!

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

"Just wanted GW to know that the ads are 100% counterproductive. Would love for the advertiser to know that, too...."

I agree.
    I don't think anyone would enjoy papers or anything else shoved in their face, interrupting, IRL. It would cause a very abrupt reaction from me.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

They really don't care. It's how they keep this place going. We should probably click on them once in a while to pay for the site.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I'm not very tech savvy but can't you run your work program on explorer and use mozilla for gardenweb and net surfing? Depending on what I am doing, it's not uncommon for me to have two different browsers open.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I run Firefox and Chrome on my computer at the same time and switch between them just by clicking the icon at the bottom of the page - if I click on my Firefox browser it comes up, if I click on the Chrome browser it comes up. I do it to remind me to keep two G-mail accounts separate.

So you should be able to keep your business stuff on IE and your recreational sites on Firefox and switch between them instantly.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that is possible and I could certainly use Firefox on my laptop. But when I am at home I am often on the iPad using the OnLive PC desktop for my software. I use IE on that and could install another browser, but that interface is so small to begin with its a little difficult to manipulate as it is. And of course on the regular iPad you can't do anything about those heinous ads.....or can you?

The whole fact that people have to take evasive action to combat these intrusive ads makes me wonder if the host site or their clients even understand the purpose of advertising.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!