Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

I have alligator skin---help!

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

I was sitting at a stop light the other day, the sun was bright. I glanced down and couldn't believe my eyes---my hands and forearms looked like an alligator! I went home and doused myself in lotion...didn't make a difference. When did this happen? Guess I really am getting old!

Anyone have a wonderful moisturizer that removes all signs of alligator skin, or at least minimizes it?

Comments (50)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I love the cream oils, but also you need to be exfoliating.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I love the cream oils, but also you need to be exfoliating.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I have extremely dryskin and my dermatologist mentioned CeraVe renewing SA lotion and I love it. They have a cream too but I like that the lotion works well without any greasy residue. It is relatively inexpensive aswell.

• deegw
    9 years ago

My derm also suggested Cerave. My neck always felt dry and tight no matter how much stuff I put on it. The Cerave helps with the tightness and the turkey neck.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Scrub with sugar on wet hands. Use A&D ointment at night, and use whatever wrinkle fighters you use for your face on your hands. And always use sunblock.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I used Cerave for awhile, but then it didn't seem to help. I have been using fractionated coconut oil on my legs, feet and heels, and it's worked wonders. Not greasy, soaks right in. I put on after showering and get dressed.

• RoseAbbey
    9 years ago

I also use coconut oil, organic one. I figure I put enough chemicals on my skin in the daytime so at night I give it a break.

Tina is right you need to exfoliate to get the old dead skin layer off so the moisturiser can work.

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

I third CeraVe. We have eczema and it works for that. We use the one that comes in a tub - cream, I think?

Another option is plain old petroleum jelly. It's the best occlusive moisturizer there is. It sure is greasy and kind of messy but it fills small cracks so well and helps protect the skin. It's best used on damp skin and can be layered over other moisturizers. Vaseline is the big gun moisturizer my kids and I bring out in the dead of winter for itchy, ashy skin.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Are you drinking enough water? Eating healthy? Best skin starts from within.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Is it sun-damaged skin? Have you spent a lot of time out in the sun over the years? Sun-damaged skin can look like leather. If it's not that, exfoliation and a good moisturizer should help. I like Paula's Choice products. They work!

Here is a link that might be useful: Paula's Choice

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

My main 'secrets ' are Dove bar soap, scrubby exfoliating gloves that work wonders on face, arms, legs, feet, and elbows, and lots of water. Lots of water.

That alligator skin requires hydration from the inside.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Dedtired, LOL.

I was literally just noticing over the weekend that my hands look 50. I'm 50 (oh, still not used to THAT) but I want my hands to look 35. Also my face. And my neck. And my....

• teacats
    9 years ago

dedtired: Me too! Crinkled tissue paper! :) LOL!

I do use Johnsons Baby Oil Gel over my moisturizer really helps ......

Just water??? darn it -- I was hoping for more wine or a martini ...... :) Yes, I'm just teasing!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Amlactin lotion. It used to be prescription only, mainly prescribed for diabetics with foot problems. It's fairly expensive but well worth it. You don't want to put it on when you are going out in the sun, so it is best used at night, and usually not on the face.

The next best thing is a time machine :-)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love this stuff! I was spending a fortune on expensive moisturizers before I found this at Sam's Club one day.

And as hoovb said, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. It really does make a difference :)

• suero
    9 years ago

I had horribly dry skin. My allergist prescribed ammonium lactate 12% lotion. It is prescription medicine, and it takes very little of the stuff to cover my entire body, except my face - about the size of a quarter. or maybe a half-dollar. I can't believe how silky smooth my skin has become.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Joanie, is it ultra dry skin or 'mature' skin? Unfortunately mine is the latter, so lotions can only do so much, but won't completely camouflage my crepey, old skin. I use Eucerine lotion, the original formula. It seems to hydrate the skin much more, which means I don't have to reapply in a couple of hours.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Suero, Amlactin OTC is the same product but with about 10% ammonium lactate. I was paying close to $30 per bottle for the Rx version until this slightly lower strength product became available. I get it online at drugstore,com. You may want to ask your Dr. about this.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I ordered the amlactin food cream off Amazon. I didn't realize there is a body lotion. That would be great because you get the exfoliating and moisturizing in one. I'm going to look into that. Only thing is I don't care for the smell.

I've also been using almond oil occasionally. Love the smell of it. I'm one who notices hands and I do think hands show age. I read some hand model's suggestion of using almond oil on your hands. I also ever-so-often rub a bit of it through my hair at night.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all.....I am definitely going to look into the products mentioned. I am 62 so I would say it is both dry and "mature" skin so I'm not expecting miracles. I'm sure part of it is genetics as well.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

dedtired, et al, with the tissue-paper skin: my 70-yo friend had this problem on his arms and hands. His skin was so thin and fragile that he would cut and bruise VERY easily. He was desperate so he did some research and decided he'd try L'Oreal Revitalift on his arms and hands. What an amazing difference it made on his skin in less than a month!!! it took 10 years off his thin skin by restoring collagen. He hardly cuts or bruises now. Do try it!!!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I also use petroleum jelly. I put it on my wet skin after showering and try to air dry, if possible. I'm 44 and started using it when I was around 30 when living in Missouri. Even on my face.

It starts out a little greasy, but I just keep rubbing it into my skin. It's the only thing I've found that works.

You'd think living in a very humid area would relieve me of having to use something like that but lotions have never been enough, and it's so economical.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

Pure Jojoba oil is the ultimate for dry/alligator skin! It's odorless, NOT greasy... it's closest thing to your own natural skin oils and non-comedogenic (will not clog pores).

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Dedtired, "Getting old sucks" is my favorite saying. And, I so agree.

Party_music50, thanks for the info on your friend. I have the same issue and never thought about trying L'Oreal Revitalift. Will give it a try.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Party_music50, that's very interesting! I tried it on my face and wasn't impressed, but it may work on other areas. Will try it on my arms.

Yep, getting 'older'(not old!)does suck!

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Party music, do you mean Resilience Lift? I have it for the eyes and face. I somtimes use it on my hands.

Earlier this summer I looked at my forearm when I was in the sun. I saw all this brown on there, kind of blotchy. It was ugly!

I exfoliated with one of those round, net scrubbers. The arms were almost beet red when I finished. It took all the brown off and left my skin feeling like a baby's tush. :)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I use vaseline at night with cotton socks on my hands. I'm 61 and my hands are 30. My daughter works at a day-care and is constantly washing her hands. They were dried and cracked until she started doing this. She also recommends it to the children's mothers for their hands and they have reported success.

Linda

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I made a batch of skin cream that I love. Sometimes I use coconut oil but I prefer this: 1 small bottle of shea butter baby lotion, (16 oz), 8 oz vaseline, and 8 oz of vitamin e cream. Mix with mixer and put in jars. It goes on like butter and smells and feels so good.

• suero
    9 years ago

The Rx ammonium lactate costs me $22 for 400 grams not covered by insurance. It would probably cost less if I bugged my insurance carrier.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Linda, I stumbled on a story about a hand model online a few weeks ago, and I remember she does the same thing at night with her hands.

I also didn't know that hand models stand in for actresses when doing still shots!

I might try it. Any special glove you use? I'm just afraid I'd burn up.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

oakleyok, the jar he has says: L'Oreal Revitalift Anti-wrinkle and Firming Day Cream (because it contains SPF 18 sunscreen as well :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Joanie, what lotions do is keep moisture, i.e.: water, from drying/evaporating from the skin. It's the water that is the moisturizer. So put moisturizer on your hands when they're wet with water.

• eibren
    9 years ago

Moisturizing treatments work best if your skin is slightly moist prior to applying them.

Apply them right after showering or bathing.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Exfoliate. I had a facial recently that also concentrated on my neck and decolletage and wow did it look so much better with exfoliation.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

What exfoliants do you all use?

I have alligator skin on my shins. Tried vaseline, an Rx from a dermatologist, and every dry skin lotion I could find. None worked well. Then, about 10 days ago, we went to visit mom and I forgot my vaseline. She didn't have any either, so I used coconut oil from her pantry. The next morning, my shins looked better than normal. I also used it to take off my mascara and as moisturizer on my lips. I didn't like it for either of those things but have continued to use it on my legs. It may be just a fluke - maybe it's the mild weather we're having or something else, but I'll continue and if the alligator doesn't reappear this winter, I'll know it was the coconut oil.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Oakley,

I just use white, cotton socks. I usually end up taking them off sometime in my sleep but by that time the vaseline isn't gooey anymore. I also do the same on my feet.

I don't moisten them first because fungus thrives in dark, moist, warm conditions and I don't want to tempt it. But I do not dry my arms or legs after a shower. I moisturize right over the wet from the shower. I've done this for years and DH says I have the softest skin he's ever seen. Which only makes me wonder who and how many he's been feeling??? ;)

Linda

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

joanie38-----do you mean Vaseline body lotion, or plain petroleum jelly in a jar?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I read somewhere that Lena Horne used vaseline and only Vaseline in her skin, which looked incredible well into her sixties. But as someone mentioned, skin elasticity is in large part genetic, and in decreasing parts environmental. Smoking is the worst thing you can do for your skin.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

joanie - plain old petroleum jelly in the jar. I buy the off brand stuff. I hate Walmart but I do like to get these supplies there. I like to whip it up in my kitchen aid mixer and apply after a shower. My coworker keeps it on a jar on her desk and people all over the office borrow it.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Joanie.....must be our name...I hate Walmart too!

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I was literally just noticing over the weekend that my hands look 50. I'm 50 (oh, still not used to THAT) but I want my hands to look 35.

That's better than being in your 50s with hands that look like they are in your 70s!

I buy Amlactin at Costco. They usually have it on coupon every few months. It has really helped with my chest and neck.

My latest horrifying age discovery has been saggy knees. Slathering on Nivea's COQ10 firming lotion there. Don't know if it is having any effect.

I'm also going to get back into total body DIY vitamin C serum. I just ordered some more L Ascorbic Acid powder to make it. I mix it up and put it in a spray bottle.

• bpath
    9 years ago

After this thread started up, Costco had a discount on Amlactin, so I did a very scientific study: for a few days I've been putting Amlactin on the left side, Nivea on the right (usually I use whatever is on sale, on hand, or what the kids got me from Bath and Body Works), and after only 5 days I already notice a difference, and Amlactin it is! It's subtle but noticeable to me. The tissue-y appearance is less on the Amlactin side (I'm 57), feels more supple.

Thanks, all!

• gnuhomeblues
    9 years ago

Amlactin for the win. CVS even has 'house brand' that is even cheaper. I've just started using home made vitamin C cream on my face and hands and the results are amazing. Costs more though so I'm sticking to Amlactin for legs and feet.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I make a spray out of vitamin C powder and distilled water with a little glycerin that I spray on my body and face. It's very cheap to make, and I keep it in a small opaque bottle with sprayer. Then I follow up with either Amlactin or another moisturizer. Before I started the vitamin C I was just using Amlactin, and my husband (and I) noticed how soft my skin was. I haven't been using the vitamin C long enough to tell if it's made a difference.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the tip on Amlactin.....dumb question.....where at CVS would I find it....where all the regular lotions are...Jergens, etc?

• mboston_gw
    9 years ago

Cetaphil was recommended for me by my Dermo Doctor but in the cream form, not lotion. She suggested gently exfoliating no more than once a week, but apply the Cetaphil after a warm shower and patting drying, not rubbing hard every day. Skin should still be moist when cream is applied.

I also changed soaps, to Dove - the one for sensitive skin, twice a week I use the one for exfoliating. Between that and following the directions by the doctor, it has helped alot.

I had used CeraVe lotion and liked it, still put it on my arms and legs before I get dressed but use the Cetaphil after my shower at night.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Get Sarna. And don't exfoliate . Your skin does that on its own. Use the Sarna (which you can get at drugstores) when your hands are a little damp. For that matter, whatever lotion you get, put it on when your hands are a bit damp. The lotion is not what moisturizes. Water is what keeps your skin hydrated, i.e.: moisturized. The lotion just keeps the water in your skin and from evaporating.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Even though Amlactin is now available over the counter, some stores still keep it in the pharmacy. If not, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

edited to include lotion name

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 20:28

• Lesley Logan
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

On the Amlactin, which one are you suggesting??

i see that target has it

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz