Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

A new way to meet people

User
10 years ago

Anyone ever heard of meetups.com? I remember reading several threads here about making friends and how difficult it can be sometimes. My daughter showed me this and has participated in several events. She says that so far it's been a rewarding experience with some super nice people, so I figured I'd pass on the info. I think it's a pretty cool idea and was really impressed with the variety of groups people in our area have formed. Just change the name of the city and adjust the miles to see if meetups is available in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meetups

Comments (13)

• User
    10 years ago

Yes we use it to find groups in towns we are visiting. So far it has worked very well. We have a number of interests so it isn't very hard to find groups within larger cities. Smaller towns aren't always as easy but there are a LOT of people out there with varied interests. It is a lot of fun. c

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

lukkiirish (donâÂÂt mean to highjack) but I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering where youâÂÂve been. Hope all is well on the health related front and everyone is coping ok.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jterrilynn! Thanks for asking, we are doing well; trying to stay positive of course and all that stuff. I haven't been around much and mostly lurking here so I can focus more on my husbands health issues and the court case for that doctor. Its a nightmarish mess involving lots of deaths and harm to 1000,s of people. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine someone could do what he's done for the sake of money.

I read in one thread that you've moved in with your son. I don't know the story behind it but you sounded awfully home sick, I hope things are ok with you. I know its been a while but the last I recall, you were looking at houses.
    Did you decide to build instead?

Don't worry about hijacking! This thread was just a little fyi and isn't going anywhere! :c)

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Luk, please make sure you look after your own health too. ItâÂÂs amazing how we can let our loved ones consume us to a point where we donâÂÂt look out for our own fitness diet doctorâÂÂs appointment ect..IâÂÂve been there (all is good on that front now). However, as a person who used to be active I suddenly didnâÂÂt recognize myself. I am now in the process of fixing that.

Yep, house hunting and it bites. Low inventory is bringing out the crazies with houses with lots wrong and bits hanging off. In areaâÂÂs IâÂÂm looking, three and four months ago the average was $180 a SF. Some of these homes are now asking $233 a SF, they are not getting it but still the games are horrible. ItâÂÂs like realtors are trying to bring back 2006. Sometimes they get lucky due to the cash investors here in Florida hoping to grab on to the last tail end of our real estate crisis. Very maddening! I might just find a rental because I refuse to over spend. Sheesh, Americans seem to have short attention span memories of disasters.

Please make sure to take care of you! Are you? DonâÂÂt make me come over there lol.
    Terri

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 20:01

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

My husband used this when he was living out of town for a while. He liked it - found people to play tennis with and some other good groups for social outings.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terri, thanks for the smile, I am trying to take care as well, though I could do better at times. DH is so much better now in spite of what that doctor did to him, its a real mess.

Yup the market has taken a turn in our area too and even though I am tickled to see it rebound some, I know it's not good news for you. You are right not to just settle, I just hope you find something before the market gets too crazy and out prices you. Do you have a realtor from a larger agency sending you info on new listings as they get them? I hope you're not just relying on realtor.com or a web based real estate site, cause the info on them is usually very dated, if you have time email me...lukkiirish@gmail.com

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Luk, IâÂÂm signed up with Zillow, realtor.com homes.com and between us we have around six realtors sending us listings. We are working with one realtor though, they all know that but still send us info. Planned communities are out for us as we have three dogs, one of which is a Rottie. HeâÂÂs a sweet gentle lover boy but is on the no list. Thank goodness I adopted the Rottie a few years ago because husband would be trying to get me into a planned gated community. Getting that dog was one of the smartest things IâÂÂve done lately ï We are going to see a house Wednesday in my favorite neighborhood, its priced $95,000 over all the recent comparables and is very unkempt looking on the exterior. Might as well look though!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that is great, not much more you can do to keep in the loop, planned and gated communities are really not my style either, I can completely relate. :c)
    our outside is a mess with a very nice interior so there is a slim chance you'll see something intriguing, my fingers are crossed for you just in case. Don't loose hope, things pop up when you least expect it!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Luk, I just found out my fitness instructor does the Meetups. I had never heard of it until your post.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

I love meetups. I am a member of several photography meet ups and a few social meetups. Even if I don't participate, i get good ideas of where to visit and take photos on my own time. There is a groap for everyone and everything.

• vickij
    10 years ago

We live in Carefree, AZ and every time there is a full moon we like to do a guided moonlight hike up a mountain and into a little cave that has quite a history. There are normally a handful of people on the hike. The last time we went there was a meetup group that was there and it ruined the entire little sleepy experience. That's the first time I had ever heard of it.

• User
    10 years ago

I checked it out for my area. There are a lot of choices, most of which were not quite right for me, but one did look interesting: Women Who Want to Pole Dance.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can always start a start up meeting too. Pole Dancing, Ha!