Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Thick uterine lining?

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

Would like to get some opinions from the knowledgeable women in this forum.

I will be 62 next month, finished menopause about 4 years ago. Had some symptoms (spotting) and went through some testing last week. No cancer, but lining is 9mm--normal is 4-5mm. It's caused by too much estrogen production. Dr. basically said it could turn into cancer down the road and that I will most likely need a hysterectomy at some point. I could do it now or wait.

Dr. is calling me back tomorrow with some possible less invasive options for now like testosterone pills or having an IUD put in. Because of other health issues, she wanted to do a little research and think about the best course of action. I told her I was feeling fine now and was hesitant to just jump in and do a hysterectomy since there is no cancer present. Seems along the lines of having a mastectomy because you MIGHT get cancer.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do/not do?
Thanks for any info!

Comments (26)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

My friend had fibroids vs. what you have, but she had a huge relief of symptoms with an IUD. She eventually had the hysterectomy, but the IUD bought her more time. I think they last 5 years.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'm going thru the same thing at 66. My doc did NOT want to do a hysterectomy, but I think it's because I belong to a health co-op and they are not into unnecessary surgery because of the costs. But I pointed out to her that if she felt it would need to be done sometime in the future (inevitable because I also have a prolapsed uterus) wouldn't it be safer to do at my age than wait until I'm 75? She wanted to put me on hormones, but I've had blood clots and my internist nixed that plan. So she's agreed to do the surgery; I'm just waiting for my grandson to get into school full time, as I am the babysitter and will need a good stretch of time off, I suspect. Maybe not.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I had abnormal bleeding for over a month (3 yrs ago). Vaginal ultrasound revealed a fibroid cyst. Dr did an ablation which was to help, but the test came back endometrial hyperplasia with complex atypical cells. My Dr called the GYN-ONC before calling me. There was no question in my mind I wanted it all out and that was what he suggested. Lymph nodes removed were clear. I haven't had any issues and don't take any meds.

A HS GF recently had ovarian cancer diagnosis. Had partial several years ago. Luckily, her lymph nodes were clear, but she still is having to do chemo.

**Wanted to add there is no uterine or ovarian cancer in my family.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 13:08

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

What kind of testing?

Did you have an endometrial biopsy?

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I had a trans-vaginal ultrasound and an endometrial biopsy (ouch!).

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I had this several years ago. My doctor did a d&c and had me on progesterone for three months or so. Then an ultrasound showed everything had returned to normal. He did say at some point if it recurred we might have to consider a hysterectomy.

• lexi65
    8 years ago

Chibimimi: When you said you had this several years ago, would you please

extrapolate, including your age when you 'had this'? Thanks a bunch

• JustDoIt
    8 years ago

Have the hysterectomy now if you can save one ovary. Best thing I ever did at age 43 for fibroids.

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

If I were in your shoes, I would be researching natural progesterone supplementation to help counterbalance your estrogen production. Dr. Lee was pivotal in the field of natural supplementation being helpful even in postmenopausal women. If you google his name and progesterone supplementation, you should find helpful info. I wish you the best!

• chibimimi
    8 years ago

lexi, I was approximately 60. Email me if you'd like more detail. I'm pretty sure I have emailing enabled.

• ceezeecz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I had this too. 9 months on a very high dose of progesterone and 3 d&c with no improvement and we gave up. I ended up having a hysterectomy. I was 45 at the time. I'm now 67. We didn't want to take any chances with it turning into cancer. And that's what happens. In my case it wasn't fibroids but thickening of the uterine walls.

• lexi65
    8 years ago

chibimimi: Don't know your email. I'm at mylexi.65@gmail.com

thanks a bunch!

• Houseofsticks
    8 years ago

I had an ablation done after a d&c for thick lining @ 38.

• lexi65
    8 years ago

ceezeecz: How thick was your endo lining? Did you have postmenopausal vaginal bleeding?

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was surprised to see my thread from last year had popped up.

I ended up having a D&C this time last year and have had no problems/bleeding since....knock on wood.

• lexi65
    8 years ago

joaniepoanie: what was the thickness of your uterine lining?

• ceezeecz
    8 years ago

Lexi65, I don't know how thick it was. That was way back before they offered info like that. :). I had zero post menopausal bleeding after the hysterectomy.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

Best wishes for great health! I opted for uterine ablation and I still have difficulty. I don't know that I would do it again. I'm likely in the minority. I've always had troubles in this health area, and I've decided to have a hysterectomy if there is one more problem.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

How timely. I have been dealing with this myself. After two transvaginal ultrasounds, last week I had a D & C with hysterscopy. We opted for this rather than an in-office biopsy. In the first ultrasound, my lining was at 12. About 6-8 weeks later, after a trial of progesterone (which did not produce the anticipated bleeding), I had a second ultrasound. Showed the lining had, in fact, decreased to about 9. I really was surprised since the progesterone didn't do it's trick. But, decreased uterine lining is an effect of perimenopause/menopause. Thought things were fine, then within a week I had bleeding again. This would go on for a few days, then no bleeding, back and forth. My doctor advised D & C/hysterscopy rather than a biopsy. Good choice! The hysterscopy allows the uterine lining to be viewed, which showed a polyp that did not show on either ultrasound. It was bleeding. The polyp and multiple biopsies were sent to pathology. I am happy to report that it was benign and no signs of cancer. Yes, hyperplasia can lead to cancer, but it doesn't always. Hopefully now that I have been "cleaned out" LOL, peri/meno will proceed normally and lining will not thicken. I did not want a hysterectomy if I didn't need one. I do have risk factors for uterine cancer (PCOS, never having been pregnant, etc.), but I was also on bc pills for a long period, which help prevent uterine cancer. So for now, we will keep a close watch and hope that things progress naturally. I love my doctor and she has been great through this. When I had the second ultrasound, we sat down afterwards and talked about "what if". Uterine cancer in many cases is cured by hysterectomy, often requiring no further treatment. Especially if caught early. At that time we discussed what oncologist/gyno I would see if necessary and even what hospital I would prefer to go to. Because of my hospital choice, she gave me the name of a second doctor and I did my homework as to who/where I would go. I felt good about having all that decided, if needed, rather than trying to do that at a time I would probably have been more emotional (if I had gotten bad news). Waiting for results is not easy!!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    8 years ago

Ablation worked like a dream for me. Did it a year ago and it stopped everything. My Dr. used the NovaSure.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lexi....the lining was 9. Forgot to say I did have a benign polyp. I was also on progesterone for 3 months.

• lexi65
    8 years ago

tinam61: curious - how old are you? I am 69 y/o but I had a balloon ablation

at age 57 y/o and when they recently did transvaginal ultrasound, they could

Only delineate a small area of the lining because the ablation scars/scorches

the lining which is what it's designed to do. But now the area they delineated is 4.9 mm and although I never have had bleeding, my doc still wants to do

an "ultrasound guided" d and c and biopsy. I am reluctant to have this

done because of the scarred lining and also I have a tilted uterus. Understand that it is NOT uncommon to have sufficient tissue to test. Going for a long appointment with her in a couple weeks to learn all of the risks

associated with the biopsy, etc.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Lexi - I am 54. Apparently I started the change process "late" (average is 51 I believe I was told). My doc never mentioned an ablation and I have not asked about it. But, because she wanted to do the hysterscope (which is how the polyp was found), it made sense to do the D & C. Are you put under for ablation or just sedated? As explained to me, other than the anesthesia risk, there is the risk of puncturing uterus. As long as you have a dr. who is skilled and does plenty of those procedures, you should be good. I was lucky to be able to pick my anesthesiologist (I had used him a few years back for sinus surgery - first time I did not get sick from anesthesia) and requested him again. Found out after the sinus surgery that a good friend is business/scheduling manager for that anesthesia group! Because of both the docs, I felt pretty good about the procedure. I also have a tilted uterus, another reason she preferred to have me under for the biopsies - they had enough trouble with the ultrasounds! LOL

• 1929Spanish-GW
    8 years ago

I was totally under, but they said it was a lighter level than you would do for a more major surgery. I like general anesthesia (is that wrong?) and the only thing I noticed that was different was that I seemed to come out of it faster.

I remember nothing about the procedure. Took pain killers for about a day and a half, but then switches to Advil.

I know women who have procedures other than NovaSure and by different doctors who did not have a complete end to periods and pain. I either was lucky or had a better kind of procedure. I wish I'd done it a decade earlier, but the option was never mentioned to me.

• pamghatten
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Last Fall, age 55, total hysterectomy to remove grapefruit sized fibroid. Had spotting, post menopausal bleeding and thickening of the lining prior to that. I don't remember how thick. They had to do it by incision because of the size of the fibroid, and removed everything. I was in the hospital for 2 days. My OB/GYN wished that all her patients healed as quickly and well as I did. I'm glad it was done and is all over with. Now just need the menopause syptoms that ramped back up after the surgery, to mellow out!