Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Crying UNCLE!! Help!

Oakley
9 years ago

Good grief! In January I caught Pinkeye from the grandkids, who BTW, had a very mild case of it. Mine was so bad the doctor had to change medicines on me.

The last week in August I got a Sty (both of these were the first time in my life). No problem, it generally goes away on its own using a warm compress, right? Wrong. My sty got infected down through my cheek 24 hours later. Was on two antibiotics and pain pills, that's how bad it was.

This morning I noticed my sty was still there, but very tiny, and not noticeable. At the same time my left eye seemed to be bothering me..teary, itchy, now a bit goopy. So I look in the mirror....PINKEYE! (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure.)

No one had a sty or pinkeye lately, except me.

What the he!!? Anyone know what could possibly be going on with me?

Comments (14)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I have no idea how it's treated but could you have ocular rosacea and not pinkeye? My friend had small styes, doc told her it was a form of rosacea.

ML

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Have you changed out your eye makeup? I have had stye's in the past from small foreign bodies, sand, small flakes of mascara after rubbing my eyes, etc. The sty and pink eye may not be related to each other but with your recent history, I would consider a trip to the doctor post haste if you suspect pink eye again.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maddie, I'm familiar with pinkeye, so I don't think it would be Rosacea.

Tish, I thought about makeup, but I bought a lot of new makeup after the first bout of pinkeye. However, this morning I noticed there was a little clump of mascara still on a lash and I got it off. I wonder if some went into my eye? The mascara is also new.

I think I have drops left from pinkeye, if this turns out to be PE. I'll know in the morning for sure if I wake up with crusted eyes. Ick.

I did read that a lot of us carry staph in our nose, and that's one way of getting a sty. I did have MRSA last year.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at Chuckee Cheeses. Hmmm. lol.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Many years ago, my young daughter kept getting stys. Nobody else in the family ever got them so it seemed odd. Then she started getting small infected sites on her legs and arms. We were at a friends for a bbq one weekend during that time, and another friend there, a medical researcher, took me aside and talked to me about it. After hearing how long it had been going on (maybe a month at that point), she said, "She may have a bacterial infection in her bloodstream, take her to the dr. right away." I did, and her pediatrician wouldn't let us out of the office until he had extracted all the gunk from the small infected sites on her legs. Then prescribed a strong antibiotic and a blood test. Yup, she had MRSA.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I'd put my money on Chuckee Cheese, as a great vehicle for catching just about any childhood malady.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Are you using one of those puffy things to wash your face? If so, get rid of it.

Have you had your blood sugar checked?

Are you absolutely sure your makeup is not contaminated? Liners, etc.

Can't hurt to see an Ophthalmologist. Don't reuse drops.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I got it last month during an awful cold. Know a couple others who have had the same thing. Yuck!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Try washing your eyes and eyelids with baby shampoo. It helped me when I was having eye problems from allergies.

Blepharitis is an eye issue that has multiple causes and dedicated eye washing can be helpful.

Edited to change the name of the link

Here is a link that might be useful: American Optometric Association

This post was edited by deee on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 17:11

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Best, that had to have been scary! My GS had it when he was 2. I was changing his diaper, and in his groin area he had what looked to be a boil. I touched it and it hurt. I told my son a few hours later he needs to see a DR. asap because it just wasn't right. My son thought it was only a pimple, but he grudgingly took GS to an after hours clinic, and yep, blood test came back as MRSA. Son is always thanking me. lol.

My eye is a 100% better! Maybe I just needed to vent. I have no idea what happened though, it looked and felt like bonafide pink eye. Whew!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Wow, that's a scary story about MRSA, thanks for the heads up.

Glad you are better Oakleyok. Having an eye condition is so annoying. I had a stye for the first time in years a week or so back, and totally my fault for sleeping in my makeup. tsk tsk

• dedtired
    9 years ago

So glad you are okay. Last spring i got something in my eye and I walked around for days with one slit eye. My eye doctor and all his partners were at an ophthalmologist convention, so I had to go to someone else. He cleaned it out, but I had to go back a second time for another cleaning. My cornea was scratched and i had to use antibiotic eye drops. I was much more worried about my appearance than the possibility of going blind in one eye.

I remember getting pinkeye and styes as a kid. Miserable.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

ded - my poor husband has had both slivers of metal in his eye and most recently - flash burn from someone else's welding! He works in design and fabrication. He always wears safety glasses in the shop - but the couple of times he's gotten metal in his eye - it came from his hair, hands, etc. Tiny slivers. The welding flash (like a sunburn to the eyes) was AWFUL. Thank goodness we have the most wonderful eye dr. Both times met us after hours. The welding burn pain became almost unbearable around 1:00 am and I was beside myself not knowing what to do. He met us within 15 minutes of my call.

ANYHOO, those of you who have had MRSA - I don't remember all the facts, but my mom was a carrier of MRSA. She never had it herself but we found out during a hospital stay that she was a carrier. I know it can lay dormant in your system and flare back up (at least I think I remember that from my research at the time). And if you are a carrier you need to remember to let any medical personnel or any type care giver know as precautions must be taken in some instances.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

MRSA skin infection

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtn., I'm guilty of sleeping in my makeup at times. That was probably the reason I got the sty. It felt like someone hit me in the cheekbone , it was so painful. Constant throbbing.

My MRSA began as an innocent cyst under my breast. It was right on the skin, about the size of the tip of my finger. Doctor said just keep an eye on it because what I had was normal (I get a lot of cysts), and a few months later I woke up in severe pain. Overnight it got extremely red, swollen and full of stuff, and hurt like the dickens.

If any of you get a sore that suddenly turns "violent," get thee to a doctor ASAP.

Oh, the eye is fine. It's a miracle! lol

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022