Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Getting To Know Us All . . . Let's Do Quirky

lynninnewmexico
9 years ago

We've done them before, questions we can answer (or not) to help our fellow GWers know a little more about us. And to perk up our day and perhaps give us some chuckles. We haven't done one in a while, though, as Oakley has dropped the ball (just joking, but she usually comes up with some great GTKYs).
Soooo, how about some quirky questions to help us Get to Know You . . . better (LOL)?
Lynn

1) Part of the country I live in:

2) One quirky/odd/interesting/funny thing about where I live:

3) Two or three quirky things you do NOT know about me:

4) Any weird or funny phobia?

5) Two interesting/funny/ quirky things about my family:

6) Item and age of the oldest piece of clothing I still wear:

7) My DH/SO/Family HATES this item that I love and refuse to get rid of:

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home{{gwi:807}} and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do (OK, if you have to, just imagine what you'd do IF you had free time like that-LOL!):

9) If I could somehow have another career with, miraculously, the college or training already behind me, I would love to be a:

10) If I could live anywhere in the world for 3 months among the locals (other than the country I currently live in now) I would love to live:

11) One last quirky thing about me:

Are you ready to spill???? Copy and paste and then spill away!
Lynn

Mine:
~ a Mountain town in New Mexico

~ New Mexicans HATE that the national tv{{gwi:807}} news stations seem to forget our state exists most of the time. They talk about So Cal, Phoenix and then Dallas . . . as if our entire state was not here! Our tourist bureau also routinely gets asked if people speak English here, if passports are needed to visit here and if we use dollars or pesos.

~ I used to be a surfer.
~ My great-great+ grandfather was a close friend of William Penn, came over with him to what's now Philadelphia. We were Quakers until my great-grandfather (the son of a Quaker minister) ran away from home at the age of 14 to join a traveling sideshow as a pugilist (prize fighter). Great-gramp taught me how to box well enough to defend myself if ever needed. I actually had to deck two guys back during my single days. And yes, I taught DD those same moves when she was nine.

~ I was a tomboy growing up and snakes, spiders, mice, bugs, etc. still don't bother me . . . but I totally freak out when I see a dead mouse for some unknown reason.

5) Two interesting/funny/ quirky things about my family{{gwi:807}}:
~ DD has her heart set on becoming a clinical psychologist and is on track with that now as a college junior. But, DH & I seriously worry that we're going to put her through grad school ($$$$) for it, only to have her turn around and become a tv sportscaster. That girl{{gwi:807}} can talk most guys under the table when it comes to sports{{gwi:807}}!
~ DH & DD both have light blond hair, pale skin and green eyes . . . and no one would ever guess by looking at them that DH's great-great grandfather was Native American. He was actually a very well-known (in Oklahoma) Chickasaw leader.

~ a tee shirt I bought when DS was a baby, so that would be 29-30 years old. And it's still my favorite tee.

~ (1) a pair of slippers{{gwi:807}} that DH says look like only someone in a nursing home would wear, and (2) a painting of a Mexican or New Mexican girl and boy. It's very primitive and Frida Kahlo-ish. They all hate it, but I think it's very quirky and cool. I have it hung it in our master bath's toilet closet (LOL).

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do (OK, if you have to, just imagine what you'd do IF you had free time like that-LOL!):
~ sit outside on my front portal (covered front porch) with my 2 dogs, read and listen to the birds.

9) If I could somehow have another career with, miraculously, the college or training already behind me, I would love to be a:
~ Marine Biologist

10) If I could live anywhere in the world for 3 months among the locals (other than the country I currently live in now) I would love to live:
~ rural Italy

~ As much as I love it here in New Mexico, I'd like nothing better than for us to move back to Michigan on a lake near my family. I'm still a Michigander at heart.

{{gwi:1491575}}

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 13:03

Comments (58)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL, Outside, that is a fun one.

I was flying home from Los Angeles with my parents, and my seat was next to his! It didn't mean much to me but everyone made such a fuss. This was early 1990s, iirc not long before the murder..
    Anyway, we both fell asleep on the flight to NYC. So I like to tease that I "slept with OJ Simpson". Tee hee.

I think someone here once did a thread on brushes with fame, a while back.

PS Oakley, you are brave, wanting to be a surgeon! Wow.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 15:28

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm with you, OP!
    Mtn: ok . . . seriously . . . spill!!!

Blfenton: that is so fascinating about both your son's hobbies/jobs!

Goldie: you are just flat-out one fascinating person! Oh, and I LOVE and wear bib aprons (and cowboy boots), too.

OP: Spelunking? OMG! That was one amazing ~ and very brave~ hobby! BTW, I love gardening and college football, too!

Mtn: we're not going to let that one pass, so spill!

Oakley: someday you and I are going to have to have a contest to see about that, because I can whistle louder and longer than anyone I know, man or woman.

Danielle: a train phobia? OK, that beats everyone else's . . . except maybe Mtn's "red" phobia. You two are now tied for the most unusual phobias!

Because Mtn posted a pic of her very strange-but-great thingamagig, I'll show you all the painting that my entire family hates. The one I've hung in our toilet closet (wc):
    It's quirky, you have to give it that. Maybe I'll find out someday that it is an early Frida Kahlo piece (from grade school) and it'll be worth a million dollars (LOL).

Lynn

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

1) Part of the country I live in: Mid-Atlantic

2) One quirky/odd/interesting/funny thing about where I live: My neighborhood was founded in 1890 as a summer resort community. In the 1950s, it became a summer resort for wealthy blacks from Washington DC who were not welcome at a neighboring "white" enclave of summer homes. it is now relatively diverse.

I like to sleep with my feet poking out of the covers except in the winter, I love love love to have my hair brushed by someone other than me (usually my youngest dd indulges me), I absolutely love fast, scary, loopy roller coasters but cannot stand Ferris Wheels.

4) Any weird or funny phobia? I cannot stand for ketchup or mayo to get on my hands and the smell of ketchup on a used plate grosses me out. I like ketchup as a condiment, but do not like mayo, except mixed into tuna or when used sparingly in something like potato salad.

5) Two interesting/funny/ quirky things about my family: Dh and I are both right handed, light olive skin, brown hair and brown eyed (my are very light brown, sometimes with a greenish tint). Two of our four children are left-handed, blond hair, blue eyes, fair skinned. The other two (our oldest two) are very Italian looking, darker than me who is half Italian, even though they have more Irish in them than Italian. People often say my kids look like two separate families (when our first blonde/blue eyed was born, one of dh's friends seriously asked dh if he was sure it was his child!). Other interesting thing….my maternal grandfather was married once before, and his first wife died shortly after giving birth to my aunt (Anne-Marie). Grandfather remarried, had three kids, one of whom is my mother. Anne Marie was adopted by my grandfather's mother, so legally, she is his sister, and is my mother's aunt when they are actually half-sisters.

6) Item and age of the oldest piece of clothing I still wear: I can't say for sure, but I have several old t-shirts. I'd have to go look in my closet but I know I have something pretty old b/c when I wore it recently, I remember thinking it was like 20 yrs old! Just can't remember what it was.

7) My DH/SO/Family HATES this item that I love and refuse to get rid of: I can't really think of anything that my husband "hates." For a long time he really disliked our cat b/c she had a few litterbox mistakes that left our upstairs carpet smelly. He kept talking about getting rid of the cat, but I told him if it bothered him *that* bad, then he had to take care of it (I knew he never would). We recently put her to sleep as I mentioned here on the board.

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do (OK, if you have to, just imagine what you'd do IF you had free time like that-LOL!):

If it's a nice day, go paddle boarding down by my neighborhood beach. I also take any chance I can get to read.

An interior designer (not decorator, I stink at that) or a detective/crime scene investigator/etc, but only if I didn't have to carry a gun!

Back to my heritage, either with my family in Sardinia or Ireland.

I cannot leave the house if my bed is not made.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I haven't seen one of these for a long time; thanks, Lynn, for thinking of it.

PNW

The Evergreen State College (enough said, but I do love that place).

I LOVE roller derby (watching not doing). I also love going to Demolition Derby and Monster Truck shows. (I also just watch, but would love to drive).

I hate wet coffee grounds on my hands/fingers.

Captain Kidd (the pirate) was related; my mother was 1 of 5 children and each of those 5 all had only 1 child. So all of my cousins and I are only children. My father was an only child, too.

Nothing in particular - I don't get attached to clothes.

7) My DH/SO/Family HATES this item that I love and refuse to get rid of: I'm a widow so I get to have whatever I want.

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do (OK, if you have to, just imagine what you'd do IF you had free time like that-LOL!): Read fiction, work in my perennial garden, bird watch.

Lawyer working for adoptee rights (and in my spare time representing victims of domestic violence in family court).

10) If I could live anywhere in the world for 3 months among the locals (other than the country I currently live in now) I would love to live: Some magical part of Spain.

11) One last quirky thing about me: I love, love, love to drive fast, so my son gave me a gift of a day at the racetrack to learn how to drive my car on the track...for my 60th birthday. (Oh, and I really detest driving automatic transmission cars).

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

-The Pacific Northwest

-We have a reputation for lots of rain, but there are plenty of times when we go outside and it's misty/damp/drippy but we can't tell if it's actually raining or not.

-I like to run on a treadmill, but the only place to put my treadmill was in my bedroom closet - and the closet isn't all that big. We now call it The Sweatbox. There were a few times this summer I got pretty dehydrated in there.

-I can throw out almost anything, expect worn out running shoes and hiking boots. I think it has something to do with the effort I put in to wear them out. I just can't let go.

-Frogs and Ferris Wheels

-Half of us are Black and half of us are White.

-Our dog matches our kitchen perfectly.

-A North Face vest I bought when I moved here about a decade ago. I love that vest.

-I have a primitive, pine stepback cupboard. It's lovely and very old. It houses some of my favorite things and is in daily use. I bought it for $700 at a time when that was a huge amount for us. My husband didn't like it then and doesn't like it now. He's a sweetie for not making a fuss about it.

-Read and nap!

-Sociologist or a Park Ranger

-Sweden.

-When I'm speaking to people, I often don't finish my sentences. I just kind of

This post was edited by TheRedHouse on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 17:07

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

LOL, redhouse!

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

) Part of the country I live in:
    PNW

2) One quirky/odd/interesting/funny thing about where I live.
    It never rains and we have no Starbucks :-)

I just learned how to cut and paste and can't post pics.

4) Any weird or funny phobia? Cut and pasting and posting pics.

6) Item and age of the oldest piece of clothing I still wear: a purse that belonged to my mom. It must be at least 25 years old.

7) My DH/SO/Family HATES this item that I love and refuse to get rid of: nothing that I know of. DH is a very wise man:-)

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do (OK, if you have to, just imagine what you'd do IF you had free time like that-LOL!): Play scrabble and Candy Crush simultaneously while running on the treadmill and watching Y and R.

9) If I could somehow have another career with, miraculously, the college or training already behind me, I would love to be a: teacher

10) If I could live anywhere in the world for 3 months among the locals (other than the country I currently live in now) I would love to live: Paris

11) One last quirky thing about me: I won't travel anywhere that I can't return home the same day because of my 18-1/2 year old fur kid.

LOL @ RedHouse....if you live in Portland, I'd love to meet you :-)

Mtn: I always tell people I slept with Englebert Humperdink because we sat across from each on on a flight to London and we both slept at the same time.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Fun thread Lynn!

Blfenton - I'm so jealous of where you live. We visited Vancouver for 3 days in August and I loved it there. Of course we were blessed with gorgeous weather too. We didn't have sun screen with us and was out for all day without even getting sunburned. I'd forgotten what that was like.

Central TX

Well I don't want to give away exactly where I live so won't mention what the town is most known for so I'll just say I think it is the largest Antiques area in TX.

- I used to road race motorcycles and then drag raced my truck as I got older and came 2nd in a National Event.

I have a fear of dying in a car accident and it will at times try to paralyze me with fear when I'm driving and I have to talk myself out of it.

5) Two interesting/funny/ quirky things about my family.

Sorry didn't read the question correctly. My dad's side of the family has been traced back to the Vikings.

As soon as I could walk my mom had to put an address tag on me for a few years until I knew where I lived myself as I would always run off.

An old Ball 3/4 sleeve t-shirt, although it is now my winter painting and projects shirt that is at least 28 years old.

I can't think of anything at the moment or he hasn't told me.

Read

Pediatrician

I'm going to venture way out of my comfort zone and go for Dubai as it is so opposite of me that I think it would be a good experience for me.

Don't tell me I can't do something - if I want to do something I'm going to try come hell or high water

This post was edited by lyfia on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 18:04

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

1) Western New York state

2) When we were first married we lived on a street here that held the world record for the most bars in 1 mile.

3) I have a motorcycle license but haven't had a bike for over 20 years. I was crazy and used to drive it sometimes with nothing on but a bikini and a helmet. Not even shoes.

4) Can't think of any unusual phobia.

5) Nothing interesting about the family but a story came up recently about how my parents when bringing me home from the hospital after I was born, first stopped at a German tavern where they hung out. I went to a bar before I even went home. We just went there to celebrate my birthday.

6) I don't wear it regularly because I'm afraid something will happen to it but I still have, and it still fits, a radio station t-shirt I got in highschool 34 years ago. My friend and I cut the neck into a v and cut the sleeves off. We wore them every Friday. It said Rock N Roll Animal on the back.

7)I asked this question out loud and DD responded with "all my decor". Likes a complete minimalistic style. So always wants to remove anything I may put on a shelf. Funny because her room is a complete mess.

8) I like to walk outdoors.

9) I would love to work for a non-profit organization doing something to help empower people. Nothing specific.

10) I can't imagine living any other place then in the US as I have never been able to learn another language. US place would be Alaska.

11) My favorite band is "Bigelf". An obscure progressive hard rock/metal band.

Comments:
    I met OJ once and got his autograph. He was short, LOL.

Olychick, what up with Evergreen state college? I never heard of it but today placed an ad in the Vancouver Sun for for a car show that will be held there. I do advertising for Canadian newspapers but live in the states.

• rgps
    9 years ago

You all know the questions by now so here are just the answers.
    SW Colorado and Phoenix
    Our house sits on the southern most moraine of the last ice age
    I once was at a dinner party with Salvador Dali
    Liver
    I come from a long line of Quakers who came here in the 1690s and was given a land grant by William Penn. The last 4 generations of my family have all gone to the same Quaker boarding school.
    A kilt out of McBeth tartan my mom wore in the 1950s
    An old Hoover kitchen cabinet my grandma got in 1911
    Nap
    Architect
    London
    When I was a kid my family drove from Calcutta to Kathmandu in a jeep before there were any roads and crossed the Ganges on a 8'x10' bamboo raft. It was 2 miles wide where we crossed. Got the kodachromes to prove it.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had no idea that there were so many of you living in the PNW! We were just vacationing up there a couple of weeks ago at a resort on the ocean in Oregon. I really needed some place cool, very green and on the water (LOL). Beautiful!
    Lynn

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Lynn, I would have loved to have met you! Were you at Salishan?

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Ok, here goes....

Florida

I live close to the world's longest continuous sidewalk.

We have to watch out for alligators during mating season.

I was on Antiques Roadshow over 15 years ago.

I HAVE to make my bed after my first cup of coffee, always before 8:00am, whichever happens first.

I can not stand to talk on the telephone.

My husband is a direct descendant of a signer of the Declaration of Independence, we still have some of his furniture in our house. All the males in his family (and ours) have the same first name. (Not Daryl).

My sister, one brother and I all share the same birthdate. Different years.

London Fog trench coat from ????

my comfy cotton PJs, with holes-now used only when DH is out to town.

This week I am teaching myself to crochet by following YouTube videos. Anyone need a doily?

Carpenter. I love power tools and the smell of freshly cut wood. I would need an air conditioned shop and a person cleaning up my mess after me.

Heck, I don't need to live in another country, I just want to go somewhere in the USA that has 4 distinctive seasons.

Saturdays aren't complete without a hamburger for one of the meals.

ML

• Olychick
    9 years ago

debrak, TESC is difficult to describe, but I can say that it's one of the the LAST places where I can image there being a car show....unless it's alternative fuel type vehicles. Very environmentally focused, very progressive/radical.

Check out their mascot - be sure to look at the little movie, as well as the Speedy slide show at the bottom of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Evergreen State College mascot

This post was edited by olychick on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 18:34

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I'll play….
    1) Part of the country I live in: South-central US

My small community and many other surrounding towns have French names but no one else seems to know it, some were even changed to the English interpretation of the original French name.

1-Dave Savant (Melrose Place, Desperate Housewives) called me on the phone and I talked to him like it was an every day affair. (I am usually spastic, see below.)

2-Steven Tyler touched my hair… Yes, I totally lost it, like a 16 year old school girl, shrieking and all. (So embarrassing.)

3-I could totally be a complete OCD, if I didn't keep it in check.

Not weird per say, but heights totally freak me out or edges of cliffs, can't get within 20 feet of them. In high school I was a cheerleader, I was the flyer, on the top of every pyramid…go figure.

I am related to John Wesley Hardin, the outlaw cowboy, my great grandmother remembered when he died, although the family didn't claim him.

My great grandfather (other side) got out of prison time once for moon-shining because my great grandmother brought all 14 to kids to the court hearing and gave the judge an earful.

…….is there a pattern of disregard with law here with my family?? hmmm.

Probably my DH's high school football sweatshirt, it's 24+ years I guess.

Tie between my Hello Kitty PJ's and my potted Bougainvillea, DH "complains" about them both. :)

Pile up on the couch and read.

Archaeologist.

All over Italy, totally vagabond.

Both my second toes lay on top of my others, so my footprints look like I only have four toes. Idk??? but it's me- Perfectly imperfect.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Southeast GA

When there is a funeral procession traveling down a road, all the cars pull to the side to let the funeral cars by.

I can't whistle and I have hyperextended elbows.

Really claustrophobic

DH and my girls are direct Mayflower descendants. DH plays the banjo.

I have Bean boots from college (early 80s) but don't wear them too much down here.

I always make "ghoul"ash every Halloween and my family is OVER it.

Read, read, read.

Teacher

Can't think of just one

I have a very impressive memory about mostly useless things. Song lyrics, band names, popular culture ...

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

1. A suburb just west of Boston.

2. I can't think of anything particularly quirky but it's a nice small town with great proximity to the city. My house is 3 miles from Harvard Square.

3. I wish I could wear pajamas 24/7. I love watching The Bachelor/ette. I have to make a to-do list every single day.

4. I really hate creepy crawly bugs. Flying bugs don't bother me as much. Walking bugs freak me out.

5. I have two biological kids and one adopted, from Korea. She is more like me than my bio kids are (helps that she's a girl). Also, I have 3 dogs and 3 kids and the 3 dogs are similar in temperament to the 3 kids in order of age. In other words, oldest kid and oldest dog are similar, and so on.

6. No idea, really.

7. I'm sure there's something but I can't think of it offhand.

8. Read a book, magazine, or poke thru decor blogs on my iPad, with a cup of tea or coffee.

9. Artist.

10. Paris.

11. I love to plan trips. Just love the process of researching things to do, restaurants, etc., and making up itineraries. Maybe my answer to #9 should be travel agent.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Upstate South Carolina (i.e. not the Beach)

There is not a single coffee shop in my town. I must drive 10 miles to the next town for one. The college town where there are a bunch.

I have great interests (obsessions?) that last a while until I move on. Needlepoint, daylilies, hydrangeas, bread, camillas, are a very few.

I know a lot about those things now anyway.

The past 2 years has been perfumes. Must experience all greats and as many as possible. It’s waning now though.

4) Any weird or funny phobia? I have a few but they are not weird!

I was adopted as an infant and my whole life I heard how I looked just like my mother, my father, my brother...

No dark family secrets, however.

A down parka from high school. It’s for winter weather yard work. I’m fifty.

Nothing, I can easily say that about dh though.....he has many of those specialty items!

This.

I want to be M. Saving the world from destruction.

Austria, summer

11) One last quirky thing about me: nothing really. I am interested in the smallest things and find joy in a simple life.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Lynn, Thanks for starting this. I am enjoying reading about everyone.

Lots of us from PNW (I'm on the Canadian side but PSW doesn't have the same ring.)

TheRedHouse - I spent 2 years majoring in Sociology until I realized it wasn't going to get me a paycheque. So I transferred into Commerce and minored in Sociology instead.

Lyfia - My DH and I have done quite a bit of travelling and next up is going to some places in the U.S. with someplace in Texas being at the top of our list. Any specific suggestions? We're looking for unique places and not just big city places.

Lots of readers here. That's kinda cool.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marlene, Blfenton & all PNW & PSW (LOL): Yes, we were at Salishan Golf resort on the Oregon Coast and it was all we'd hoped for and more. We had airline funds we were about to lose if we didn't use them quickly and I had a desperate need for cool greenness and the ocean. I'd never been north of Sausalito, CA before and had always wanted to see the PNW. Gosh it is incredibly beautiful up there! Portland, to me, looked to be a very progressive, upscale and beautiful city. I can't wait to explore it someday soon. Lincoln City was busy and the traffic not fun, but we did enjoy pretty much everything at Salishan and would go back in a heartbeat.
    Next time we're up that way, I'll give a general shout-out and perhaps we can all meet someplace for lunch.
    Lynn

• tinam61
    9 years ago

) Southeast TN

2) We are in a beautiful setting near the mountains and also the big city near me is a college town. The little city I live in is like Mayberry, USA! We have one post office and 3 traffic lights. LOL

3) I am another who can't whistle and I ran track in highschool

4) Not really - as a child it was needles and snakes. I still don't like either but they don't terrify me. I used to dream there were holes in the walls of my bedroom and snakes were coming in through them!

5) I have two siblings. Our family was a very close-knit one and you would think we would have all had a bunch of kids ourselves. None of us have children!!

6) I can't think of anything. I have some things that I have kept for sentimental reasons, but I don't wear them. Otherewise, I don't keep things for years.

7) Nothing really - that I know of.

8) Sit on our patio and enjoy the outside

9) Medical researcher - preferably cancer research

10) I don't really want to live out of the US. Even for 3 months!

11) Most people think it's quirky that I don't drink coffee and rarely caffeine. However, I do like the occasional ICED coffee.

tina

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Lynn, I am so glad you enjoyed your PNW vacation! That picture really captures Salishan's beauty!

You nailed Portland btw...very progressive and beautiful. I live in a city about 7 minutes from downtown Portland. I feel as though I am living in a village compared to our home in the Los Angeles area. I get hives just thinking about having to go back there.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Fun.
    - Central New York

2) One quirky/odd/interesting/funny thing about where I live: - This is redneck country. About a quarter of the vehicles going up and down my road are not street legal.

- I don't wear dresses or skirts
    - I would rather watch The Thin Man or Dinner at Eight for the umpteenth time than watch just about any movie made in the last thirty years.

- Can't think of any - just regular phobias.

- My grandmother quit the DAR in protest over the Marian Anderson incident
    - My other grandmother.... never mind

- Hmm. I definitely wear some tees that are twenty plus years old.

- The one that springs to mind is an oil painting. It's a lovely scene of birches next to a lake. Makes no sense that he doesn't like it but he doesn't.

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do.
    - Read.

- Labor union organizer

- Since it's only for three months, Madagascar. I'd love to see all the unique flora and fauna there. And to get to know a culture totally foreign to my own.

- I hate when grocery store clerks comment on my purchases.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

1) Part of the country I live in: Another from the great PNW

If one were so inclined, in a weekend you could go to the desert and visit fossil beds. visit a genuine Cowboy Round Up, downhill ski on a volcano, wind surf on the Columbia River, swim in the ocean, take a tour of world class wineries (and sample the goods!), go on a locavores eatery in the heart of agricultural country, hike and camp in National Forests and then head back to one of the most progressive, green, bicycle friendly places in the US.

I untangle knots for pleasure. I can whistle tunes but not whistle to call someone. I once sang in a semi-professional youth choral that was set to sing in Philadelphia for the Bicentennial, but the director took off with the money we'd raised so we never got to go.

4) Any weird or funny phobia? Moths make me physically ill.

5) Two interesting/funny/ quirky things about my family: A great aunt is the Italian lady who Lucy Ricardo stomps grapes with in that famous episode. DH, and our children and I all sport multiple tattoos.

6) Item and age of the oldest piece of clothing I still wear: A flannel shirt that is about 17 years old. My fall gardening shirt.

7) My DH/SO/Family HATES this item that I love and refuse to get rid of: Couple of things-a pair of lime green shorts full of holes that I wear to bed and for lounging around the house on weekends. DH threatens to throw them away. And a little stuffed pickle that I've kept in my kitchen for the last 25 years.

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do (OK, if you have to, just imagine what you'd do IF you had free time like that-LOL!): Putt around the back yard checking on the flora and making lists of things that I need to do out there.

9) If I could somehow have another career with, miraculously, the college or training already behind me, I would love to be a: This is tough-I LOVE what I do, so I guess it would be an astronaut.

10) If I could live anywhere in the world for 3 months among the locals (other than the country I currently live in now) I would love to live: Lake Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

11) One last quirky thing about me: It's no surprise to anyone who knows me, but I am a rock music junkie. In the summer concert season I go to A LOT of concerts. I've gone to almost a dozen shows this summer-these are big names-arena rock bands mainly.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Lynn, you definitely need to give a shout out-I'm sure that there are a few of us in NW Oregon that can show you some great sights. My mother lives about 45 minutes south of Lincoln City-and my DD lives about an hour north-there are places even more stunning than Salishan!

And I agree about Portland. I'd love to live there, but DH can't stand the hustle and bustle. So we live about 45 minutes south in SoLame. The food trucks of Portland will knock your socks off!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Hey, everyone, I am a lurker and occasional poster. I've enjoyed reading this thread! It's fun learning about everyone.

1. I live in central FL
    2. I can't think of a current quirk about my town, but we used to have a festival where the Possum Queen was crowned each year. :)
    3. Like someone else mentioned, I am very fair skinned, blond and blue eyed but my dad's grandmother was a Cherokee. I am also related to Daniel Boone.
    4.I hate to have stuff on my hands, which means I hate cooking and gardening. LOL. I also am kind of creeped out by people in character costumes (like mascots).
    5. My sister's BD is 8/17 and mine is 8/19...my DH's sister's BD is 10/17 and his is 10/19. (I am exactly 2 months older than he is and he reminds me of it often.)
    6. Sadly, I have lots of old clothes I still wear. I lost 30 pounds last year and now I can fit into them again!
    7. If I have anything DH can't stand he hasn't mentioned it!
    8. Sew.
    9. Novelist.
    10. Tuscany.
    11. I am a neat freak.

Donna

• jmck_nc
    9 years ago

I have not been very active on this board, but read it avidly and have dipped my toe in, participating when I feel I have something to offer. Feels sort of wrong to know so much about all of you...so here goes...

Central NC (transplanted from Boston area 7 years ago)

Home to one half of a fierce college sports rivalry...I teach preschool and kids, at age 4, are firmly in one camp or the other

Y'all don't really know anything about me!
    I don't watch TV (except sometimes sports with my family) and would prefer to live without one

I have never had my own home (that I lived in alone). I long for my own little apartment for weekly 24 hour getaways

I am a terrible liar...can't do it at all

Making telephone calls...hate it. Don't like answering either!

My mother was on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood back in the 50's before it was syndicated. She was Miss Pat the craft lady.

We are quirky to others, but it is hard to quantify from inside the strangeness!

a bra that is 16 years old but not worn until last year when I FINALLY lost the weight that allowed me to fit into it...time to retire it now

can't think on one...I'm a tosser

Read in my sunroom overlooking my gardens (sometimes with some sort of unhealthy snack...if it's been a particularly rough day or I've visited my mother)

neuropsychologist or neuroscientist

Not sure I would ever do this because I love home, but I loved Baden Baden in Germany

I can quote many Disney/children's movies verbatim as my son used to like to play them repeatedly and I use these quotes liberally in my speech....nobody even knows I'm quoting but me. Favorite is Mr. Banks to Mary Poppins "kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts"

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

1) Part of the country I live in. Northern New Mexico.

2) One quirky/odd/interesting/funny thing about where I live: New Mexico: it ain't new, and it ain't Mexico.

3) Two or three quirky things you do NOT know about me: Robert Goulet once pulled my ponytail, I went to college with Brad Pitt, and I've never seen a Star Wars movie.

4) Any weird or funny phobia? I have textural issues with food. No mayo, sour cream, whipped cream, pudding, mousse, etc. I hate picnics.

5) Two interesting/funny/ quirky things about my family: my husband has cousants and cousuncles -- they're cousins on his mom's side and aunts/uncles on his dad's side. Slightly less interesting, I'm Facebook friends with DH's ex wife.

6) Item and age of the oldest piece of clothing I still wear: a green Esprit (yes, Esprit!) jacket from 1990.

7) My DH/SO/Family HATES this item that I love and refuse to get rid of:I don't think I have an answer for this one. I'm the purger and DH is the gatherer.

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do (OK, if you have to, just imagine what you'd do IF you had free time like that-LOL!): watch HGTV or Real Housewives of X.

9) If I could somehow have another career with, miraculously, the college or training already behind me, I would love to be a: architect/builder.

10) If I could live anywhere in the world for 3 months among the locals (other than the country I currently live in now) I would love to live: in Spain. Somewhere in Spain.

11) One last quirky thing about me: I recently completed my vehicle purchase tour through the Axis powers: Mitsubishi, then VW, now Fiat.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

What a fun thread!

Central Texas

2) One quirky/odd/interesting/funny thing about where I live: Where do I begin? My city's unofficial slogan is "Keep Austin Weird."

I was a competitive baton twirler for many years, I won the Texas UIL spelling bee three consecutive years when I was a child, I love pigs.

I can't stand for my back to face the door when sitting in a public place like a restaurant.

My great grandparents homesteaded in northern New Mexico in a dugout, my husband rides a unicycle, my grandfather grew up across the street from Gene Autry.

Probably an old UT sweatshirt

I can't think of anything.

Read, garden

Landscape architect

Italy

I don't like to talk on the phone. I don't know what happened, because I spent hours doing it (and loved it) as a teenager!

• nutherokie_gw
    9 years ago

Another infrequent poster here, but what the heck!

1) Central Oklahoma;

2) The tiny creek running along the back of our place is reputed to have been a watering stop on the Chisholm trail;

3) The word "selfie" makes my skin crawl; I stopped counting my cowboy boots at 30 pairs; I am astonished that people can walk while wearing flip flops;

4) I live in terror that at a party someone will ask me to dance;

5) All my forebears seem to have been either outlaws or evangelists:

6) Cowboy boots I got when I was 13 (no they were not my first pair, and yes, they were a little big).

7) I have a big old French iron crucifix grave marker. DH keeps suggesting that we leave it on the wall of our old house when we finally get around to selling it;

8) Evidently, surfing garden web;

9) English lit professor;

10) Would cowboy boots go over in Paris?

11) I know what Oakley's town is famous for!

• partst
    9 years ago

Mtn

The thing you cannot get rid of is part of the inside top to on a McCcaskey file. I had one year ago but had no place to use it in the current home. It now hangs on a wall in my DD home.

Hope this helps now you can say you’re saving it until you find the rest of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: McCcaskey

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Small town in central Georgia

Our daily paper is published every day but Monday, so we call it nearly-daily :-)

1. I am violently allergic to cilantro. When I was a child visiting Italy I became so ill from cilantro that doctors in the hospital there thought I had appendicitis and took it out.

2. When DH and I moved to NYC in 1985 I volunteered for the Guardian Angels by putting their donor list on a computer database. I took the train to Canarsie from Manhattan a few times a week to Curtis Sliwa's mother's house to do it. (I had interviewed Lisa Sliwa in a radio interview a few months before we moved, which is how I found out about the need.)

3. I joined Mensa at age 14 in order to learn Esperanto

4) Any weird or funny phobia? I don't like critters with more than four legs or less than two.

1. My father always kept a supply of nice umbrellas in his office and gave one to every employee on his or her birthday. If he was traveling, his secretary gave it.

2. My mother was a professional dancer! And (totally unrelated type of dancing) my DD went to the world championships in Irish Dancing!

A sweatshirt from Camp Glen Arden in NC, where I was a camper and DD after me.

Not an item, but a custom.....going to the Nutcracker ballet every Christmas. DH will make up a work crisis to get out of it!

Marathon Sudoku or play the piano.

Professional musician

Costa Rica, because after three months I might get tired of that amazing pineapple for breakfast.
    I am dyslexic

This post was edited by kswl on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 7:58

• Jules
    9 years ago

1. West Michigan

2. The small peninsula on which I live was once an island until the late 1800s when the owner of the primary channel to our harbor sunk a barge in the competitor's shipping lane to close it off.

3. I love to play Scrabble. I have a recurring dream of adopting a daughter from India (not happening).

4. Political and religious extremists are my phobia. I try to steer clear.

5. Our lineage includes explorers and outlaws.

6. I still carry my grandma's beautiful 50+yo purse on occasion.

7. I also have a 25yo college sweatshirt that's perfectly worn and raggedy that I still whip out for important game days. My husband generally cheers for the opposition.

8. Read and snuggle with my Maltese

9. Foreign diplomat / ambassador

10. Nepal

11. I'm in the research stage of a career makeover for my empty nester chapter in life that involves living for short stints in other countries.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 10:33

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG . . . I am totally blown away by all of your answers! Seriously. Every one of them is so interesting. Every one of you is so unique. I have to admit, I'm a people person. People interest me a lot. I'm one of those folks that listens closely when my friends talk to me about whatever. And, I'm also one of those people who actually enjoys looking at other people's vacation and family photos (LOL). I'm not nosey. I'm just fascinated by the uniqueness of everyone. I hope that doesn't sound weird. Anyhoo, I'm really glad that you all wanted to be a part of our latest GTKY and that you're enjoying reading about everyone, as I am.
    Lynn

• amj0517
    9 years ago

1) Part of the country I live in: Just outside of Ann Arbor, MI

2) One quirky/odd/interesting/funny thing about where I live: Nothing comes to mind. Perhaps I haven't lived here long enough to know all the quirks.

I can't sleep unless I have socks on.
    I curse too much... I recently overheard my 4 1/2 year old say, while playing a video game, "This game is really pi$$ing me off!" Not my proudest moment. I've been much more careful about what I say when little ears are near.

4) Any weird or funny phobia? None of them are weird to me. I hate being late. Not really a phobia, but it is certainly something I avoid.

Some of the men in my family are well over 6'6" and women are over 6'.... so why am I only 5'7"?

My two oldest boys have blond hair and green eyes. DH and his family are all brown eyed brunettes (Armenian bloodlines). He used to ask what our mailman looked like!

6) Item and age of the oldest piece of clothing I still wear: I have sweatshirts that are almost 20 years old that I still wear.

7) My DH/SO/Family HATES this item that I love and refuse to get rid of: DH HATES my purple terry cloth robe. It IS ugly, but oh-so-comfortable!

Can I just sit in silence? 3 young kids in the house, so silence rarely happens here.

Something where I could help others. I love meeting new people, and I love being able to contribute to helping others reach their goals.

Being a trust fund baby is also appealing!

10) If I could live anywhere in the world for 3 months among the locals (other than the country I currently live in now) I would love to live: If it's only for 3 months I'd go to Tibet. I went for a week and it was amazing.

11) One last quirky thing about me: Michael Jackson's Thriller video came out when I was a kid. As a result I was terrified to go in our basement. I always pictured him grabbing my feet through the open basement stairs (I always raced up and down). To this day, open basement stairs remind me of Thriller.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

1) Part of the country I live in.
    Outside Washington DC

Gosh, what isn't quirky/odd/interesting/funny about DC?

I cannot stand the color red (as in Christmas red)-won't wear it, don't have it in my house except for a red wire basket of my husband's in the kitchen, I am a Francophile, and I learned how to drywall this past summer (not planning to ever do it again anytime soon, but glad I learned).

I become totally weirded out by the feel of chalk (not so great for a teacher in an old school building without white boards)

My dad's family settled on Chincoteague Island, Virginia in the 1620s and one was impressed into the British Navy before the War of 1812. My husband was involved in writing the Clean Water Act

A pair of LL Bean blucher moccasins from the 1980s that replaced a pair from the 60s.

Nothing

8) Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work I absolutely need to do:
    Sleep

Symphony conductor or cellist

New Zealand, but since I am too old to get in now, it would have to be in the country near St. Cyprien, France or environs and I would stay longer than three months

I and my husband are Tolkien fanatics-have read just about every book he wrote and have read The Lord of the Rings more than 50 times since it was on my summer reading list in 1965.

• bpath
    9 years ago

The Great Lakes

My town thinks they're "special", I think it's in their charter, so they don't have to do anything everyone else has to do. I mean it.

Crosswords are boring, cryptic crosswords are life.
    Everyone I knew from my grandparents' generation was an immigrant, so I thought that when you get old, you go grey, you wrinkle, and you forget how to speak English well. Thought that until I was in high school.

I am afraid of birds, though I think they are beautiful.
    I'm claustrophobic.

My mom is a twin, and among her 8 siblings they had 6 sets of twins.
    Hey, Lynne, my niece is a sportscaster, too!

My mom's orange leather Bonnie Cashin jacket from late 1950s. I love it. And since I hate to clothes shop, I wear it when I do go to a boutique. The shopkeepers go "say, is that a Bonnie Cashin?" and they give me great service. Of my own, a t-shirt from Hinchinbrook Island in Australia from 22 years ago. It's my walking shirt.

All my books. He: "You've read them already!" Me: "But only twice!"

Play the piano. Some fun Clementi sonatinas. But not too fast.

Nah, I was a technical writer and that's what I was born to be.
    Okay, maybe a Jeopardy! 5-day champion.

Ooh, tough one, but since the Swiss don't really embrace outsiders, I guess in Yorkshire.

I can tell you the plot of any Dick Van Dyke Show episode in the first second of the show.

• golddust
    9 years ago

I love this thread!! Pesky, I traded houses with someone who lived on Lake Chapala many decades ago. We spent a week at her house on the lake, before traveling on. That was in 1979. Seems like a life time ago.

• User
    9 years ago

I think I may have mentioned some of the below before, but I'm not that interesting.

Tractor pulls.

1. I've been in a lot of car fender benders and accidents (not all my fault!). Seriously, seven and I'm not counting a few really minor ones. I honestly think it's a miracle I'm still alive.
    2. I used to want to be a pro surfer. See below. I like to snowboard and think I could have went far with that.
    3. I played the trumpet (regularly) for almost a decade. I still remember how, but my lips don't. I wish I would've kept it up, but it's not a priority now.

The idea of sharks is quite unappealing to me.

1. I'm related to Ken Mellons. Met him after a concert as a kid when I liked country music. (Obviously we're not hanging out at family gatherings.)
    2. Mom rescues cats.

T shirt and mesh shorts from high school. The mesh shorts are just fine, but the t shirt has become a colorful paint shirt.

Ha, I have a cat painting he thinks is the ugliest thing ever. It was in the laundry room, but I tired of it and it's in the attic for now.

Here, makeup stuff, or flipping through a cookbook.

I'm honestly completely content where I'm at. In the years to come I'm planning to be a newborn photographer.

I would say no thank you. I might visit to the countryside of Ireland for a week, but I'm not big on travel.

I wash my hair over the side of the tub every morning. I don't see the point in dry shampoo.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 11:36

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

These GTKY threads are so fascinating!

• Texas Hill Country

• It is the longest continuously inhabited area in North America. Artifacts dating back over 12,000 years were found in our Lake.

• When I die, my body will be donated to our local University's Forensic Anthropology Center. Basically, they will throw my body into a field and study it's decomposition.

• I have a mild case of Misophonia. It's a neurological disorder in which I can become very angry when I hear certain ambient sounds like chewing, slurping, snoring, etc. On the flip side, I love really loud sounds like machinery and music. I often have the TV or stereo blaring loudly to mask ambient sounds.

• I love having my teeth cleaned.

• Feeling sticky. I can't eat a peach unless water is readily available.

• My nephew has been operating heavy machinery since he was five years old. Like industrial sized backhoes and skid steers.

• DH is a "ghost songwriter" and has written for performers of some note.

• A night shirt I've had since I was 15yo. I'm now 45. Luckily, it was oversized!

• I have this huge (like 3ft tall) and heavy wood mask of a cat face. I got it at a garage sale when I was 23. I don't have it hanging from the wall because DH refuses to allow for all the support necessary, so I prop it up against the wall and move it to different rooms whenever the mood strikes me.

• I'm a graphic designer, so I like to create designs that I like and not for other's approval.

• CIA covert operative

• In Mongolia

• I have a tattoo that takes up my entire upper back. It's a portion of the painting "The Last Judgement" by Peter Paul Rubens

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Ditto what Lynn said! I have enjoyed reading these. I find other people saying things about themselves that I also could have said in my post!

BTW, Oakley and Lynn, my DD would give you a good run for your money with the whistling!

• User
    9 years ago

"I have a mild case of Misophonia. It's a neurological disorder in which I can become very angry when I hear certain ambient sounds like chewing, slurping, snoring, etc. On the flip side, I love really loud sounds like machinery and music. I often have the TV or stereo blaring loudly to mask ambient sounds."
    Oh wow! I didn't realize this was a thing. I can get pretty irritated at times over noises like that and will also use TV or music to mask them.

• jmck_nc
    9 years ago

"I have a mild case of Misophonia.

Oh wow! I didn't realize this was a thing. I can get pretty irritated at times over noises like that and will also use TV or music to mask them.

OMG! I did not know this either. It explains why I once wanted to scream while my husband was opening 8 tea bags in a row (tearing open individual wrappers) or why I hate to close drawers completely because of the sound they make. Fascinating!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I didn't know there was such a thing either. Very repetitive sounds like tapping, clicking, etc, drive me crazy too. Is there something similar for scents?

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I've been meaning to get to this, but haven't had down time lately. Now is the time!

1. I live in Southern California.

2. I haven't been to the beach in over a year like many of the people I know near the coast.

3. You probably don't know much about me. I'm quirky, more business minded than sympathetic and don't have enough time to do everything I love.

4. I'm afraid of anything that has the combination of whiskers and a long bald tail. Snakes are ok - no whiskers. Hamsters, gophers - no problem, short bald tail. You get the picture....

5. All you have to do is meet them. Too much time spent in academia.

6. Can't fit into it anymore, but it's my t-shirt from the Police Synchronicity tour.

7. Anything baskets. And I got a lot of 'em!

8. Look for my next vacation spot on the web.

9. Successful Vintage house flipper/Lotto winner.

10. Paris, without question.

11. I only do stupid stuff on the web. It does little to enrich my mind and a lot to tickle my fancy.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

These are all so cool to read!

Thank you to the person who explained my thingamajiggy. I love the register it came from, but I don't think it'd appease the disgruntled masses to ADD TO the thing they all dislike!

I am glad I am not the only person who no longer likes to talk on the phone. I've become a texter and emailer but surely something is lost!

Oh, and I have reconsidered my dream job. I think I want to be a Trust Fund Baby who Rehabs Vintage Houses for Humanitarian purposes.

In the meantime, I wish we had icons or photos of our houses to go with our name so I could remember y'all better.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I live in a small town in the Hudson Valley, 90 miles north of NYC. Ii still have my Bronx accent. My 4 children, who all grew up in Westchester, sound just like me.

They say that if it wasn't for our town, lots more nutty people would be locked up.

I am not sixtyohno anymore, but it's too much trouble to become 70oyvey. I took cello lessons for years and I am still totally awful.

I also hate the sound of a person eating, especially lip smacking. 2 of my grandchildren make awful sounds and I have to just stand it.

My grandpa ran away from the czar's army and came to NYC, the Golden Land. His wife, my grandma came to America by herself, when she was 17. My other grandpa was a stowaway from Turkey.
    My grandpa sent to Turkey for a bride and chose my grandma from a photo. She was beautiful and smart.

I love old well washed big men's cotton tee shirts. I wear one around the house and sleep in one.

I read alot. I have the radio on and I listen to Sinatra and classical music all day. At work, I listen when no one is around. we go to lots of concerts and the Met Opera beamed in in HD.

I wish I had the talent to play the cello in an orchestra.

I would love to spend time in Israel and Turkey, I don't think this is a good time.

I sing to my dog. I make up songs about him. He pays me no mind.
    I am so impressed by the goodness and bravery with which Eleanor Roosevelt lived her life. I think about her a lot.

Mtnrdredux - an accompanying photo is a good idea so we can better connect.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Carolinas. I live in one and work in the other.

There has been a huge influx of people to this region of the country. Even though DH moved here when he was 12 over 30 years ago, he is still considered to not be "from here."

I like to watch UFC/mixed martial arts.
    I grew up in an inner city ethnic neighborhood.

I'm not afraid of anything in that way.

I come from a family of pretty good bowlers but I stink at bowling. Even my 6-year-old great-nephew won his bowling league.
    My parents had an 8th grade and HS education and none of my siblings have a bachelors degree, but I completed a PhD.

Probably the tie-dye T-shirt from San Francisco. That is probably 15 years old.

Hard to say, but I would think maybe the distressed white BR suite I bought before I met DH. The furniture is Lexington, made like a tank, and I paid a lot of money for it. I would love a mid-century set like Heywood-Wakefield or Broyhill Brasilia.

Yeah, maybe talk to me next summer now that school is in session. I am behind already, and it's only the third week of classes. Go for a walk or bike ride in my neighborhood.

An urban planner. I am on a community coalition with a few of them, and I think it's a really interesting job.

Australia, either Sydney or Melbourne. I applied for a job in Sydney right before I met DH.

I love muscle cars, and I've had my Mustang since 1997. I am a a member of a regional club and the Mustang Club of America.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Florida

People leave five open car lengths between them and going through a green light. Two cars get through. Everyone shops out of the middle of the isle. Very few people are from here. We can’t wait until the vacationers leave so we can get into our locals.

What’s not quirky about me? I don’t like touching door handles going into business, restaurants ect. If I have to I use the up side of my left hand. I do not like it if someone wants to taste my drink. All I can think of is if they flossed or not or what they may have had in their mouth that is now floating around in my drink. I think men who spit in public should need a public stoning.

No real phobias but I don’t particularly like spiders.

Everything my husband is good at I am not. Everything I am good at husband is not. It’s easy to figure out who gets what job during remodels. My husband smells and sniffs everything he puts on. I have two dogs a Rottweiler and Maltese. The Rottweiler thinks he’s a Maltese and the Maltese thinks she is a Rottweiler. All the women in my family are extremely strong willed.

Nothing I can think of except I collect vintage pins.

1. My DH/SO/Family HATES this item that I love and refuse to get rid of:

In my quest for an all-cotton, knee length sleeveless nightgown I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted so bought a Ralph Lauren loud floral print gown. I look like a clown in it but it’s cozy. I can’t recall exactly what he said but it wasn’t nice. He hates my stored paint and wants me to use the same color in every room to cut down of cans in the garage. He hates the tufted headboard I got at a garage sale.

8)Favorite thing to do when I have an hour or so free at home and no one around to bother me and no work.

Well I haven’t had time due to renovations but in a few months I’ll have my very own room to sit and paint in.

9) If I could somehow have another career with, miraculously, the college or training already behind me, I would:

I’m not sure I could pick one. There is so much to know and learn about with so many things. I enjoy anything creative.

I love Italy and south west England but am always glad to get back to America.

I am more of a man’s girl than a girl’s girl. But, I am better at being a girl’s girl now that I am older and have had more time to figure out the complexities of women… even though I am one. I still don’t get vagueness. I’m a visual learner.