Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Downton Abbey Season 5!

kswl2
9 years ago

Our favorite clothes are back, and it feels like we just stepped out for a minute....the action just picked up where it left off. I am a sucker for costume dramas and this one has been more fun than most. It's undoubtedly the last season though, as viewership of the season premiere was markedly down in the UK.

Violet is STILL my favorite character, and I am liking Carson less this season. Poor Moseley is the butt of their jokes (for good reason) and Rose is up to all kinds of mischief. The season is off to a great start!

Anyone else watching??

Comments (40)

• babesy
    9 years ago

Gasp! Did we miss the premier of this season? I thought I read that it would not be on until January.

Was I wrong about that?

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Kswl ..Are you watching online ??
    Season 5 will air Sunday, January 4 in the US~
    However it did air last Sunday in the UK.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I watch on my computer via a VPN service (tunnelbear). They have a large market presence in the US now, as do similar services, so I thought other GWers might be watching as well. I am not very good at waiting :-) (and we don't have regular tv anyway).

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I haven't decided whether I will watch this season or not. I wasn't very happy with the direction of the plots last season.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Whew, I was worried I missed it. Last year they released all the episodes on DVD early on, we watched as a marathon, and didn't like doing it that way. This year we'll do it the old-fashioned way, week-to-week.

I just hope they figure out what to do with Thomas, preferably some horrible scarring accident that sends him to an asylum. And really, do they just keep Mosely around to they can make fun of this poor, hapless fellow?

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Well....Since I don't have a UK IP address I'll have to wait....:(

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Poor Moseley, I have hopes for him to be happy this year.

My favorite moment: when Lady Mary said, pointlessly, "I think I'll go up and take off my hat."

Lol, I am very easily amused.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Whew! I thought I missed it! I will wait until January...can't wait and am so sad it's the last season....why can't our favorite shows just go on and on and on...sigh.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Well this series couldn't go on that long, he would run out of main characters to kill off...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I guess I missed it? Has Julian announced this is the end?

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

I watched it! I loved that hat line from Lady Mary. I really enjoy scenes between Violet and Isobel. I love the way they fling insults at each other. I'm so interested to see where the story lines goes this season with Edith, Daisy, and Tom Branson. Actually, I'm pretty interested in all the characters- expect for Cora. I wish they would develop her more, or have her do something unexpected.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

kswl, I downloaded the tunnelbear application, now what channel/website should I go to to watch DA? TIA

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I will be unhappy if Mary ends up with Gillingham!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mitchdesi, you google itv and click on their main site, then ITV player. You must do this on a computer and not an ipad, because although ITV thinks you are in the UK, Apple knows better and the ITV player app is not available to you with a US address.

Sorry for that diversion. So on a pc or mac, go to itv.com while you are connected with the UK vpn. They will ask you to register to make sure you are entitled to the service. That is easy, everybody in London is entitled to it so I just used the post code from my last hotel in Kensington: SW74QH

You will need to get a gmail address from google while you are "in" the virtual UK also, so I'd do that first.

Then just register with your real name, date of birth, your new email, etc., and the only address they ask for is the postal code. And you can watch DA then and there. And any of their other programming. There are commercials, but they aren't too terrible.

When you are in the virtual uk with your vpn you can watch anything on the bbc without having to go through that much rigamarole. they may ask you also for a post code, so keep that one handy. There is a BBC show called "Escape to the Country" which is a form of househunters in the English countryside. The buyers have very healthy budgets so they look at some killer properties. But they almost never buy, so it isn't as stagey as some of the shows that feature "buyers" who have already closed on a house.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think they have made an official announcement, but there was a lot of discussion and comments on the part of actors and producers that they'd like "one more season" before everybody bailed. Julian Fellowes would probably like it to go on forever, of course! But, as I said above their viewership was down for the premiere, which should have pulled in very good numbers, so I fear it is really over this season.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

I am soooo addicted. But will wait until January when the doldrums kick in after the holidays.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Darn! I registered, and used the post code that kswl provided, but when I clicked on âÂÂwatchâ for the Downton Abby first episode, it said that the "video was not available for my regionâÂÂ.....so disappointing!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

nanny, look at your tunnelbear panel , you have to click on United Kingdom, even though it's not true. I made the same mistake when I first tried it.

In my case, I managed to get DA started on Itv but it was buffering a lot, every 10 seconds, I'll try again later.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

buffering has stopped, I now paused the show until my
    thai stir fry arrives, sheer pleasure to be able to watch DA tonight.
    thanks for the tip, kswl !!!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love tunnelbear, mitchdesi! If you have Netflix, clear your cache (on pc, mac or mobile device) before you connect to tunnelbear. I let mine run about two or three minutes, then connect to Netflix, which notes with some surprise that I seem to be traveling :-)

The UK and Canada have GREAT movies on Netflix, new ones much sooner than we get in the US.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I am in the u.s. right now! I'll try clearing my cache, it started buffering again after 10 minutes, :(

Lots of people are complaining about the buffering on itv, I googled it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

There's something old fashioned these days about waiting for something to show up on tv. I will wait, and watch it one delicious episode at a time next year. Having something to look forward to each week seems a luxury in this modern world of now!

But, I am not so self controlled. It is just that each week was something I eagerly anticipated, enjoyed to the fullest, that I hate to ruin THAT aspect with a fast food meal.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

You talked me into watching the new season. I just finished watching episode 1 with no buffering problems. I do wish that an international agreement could be reached that would obviate geoblocking.

Does Maggie Smith look especially fragile to you this season as she did to me?

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Hubby and I got hooked on Last Tango in Halifax. It has 2 seasons and is also British. There are only 6 episodes per season though.

I'm sure you'll love this one as well.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Maggie Smith looks frailer than she did last year, and there is a marked difference between this season and season one. :-(

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I can't wait to see the moment between Ms. Smith and Mr. Clooney. I hope it's classic.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Thanks, mitchdesj for your tips. I finally got Tunnelbear set up and watched 3/4âÂÂs of the first episode.....until my data ran out for the free Tunnelbear. So, of course, I had to sign up for the upgraded service so I could watch til the end. For the sake of those who are waiting until Jan., I wonâÂÂt disclose any details, except to say that I love all the secrets going on between so many different members of the household. This first episode had so much going on....IâÂÂm as hooked as ever! I donâÂÂt mind watching these episodes now, because I know IâÂÂll watch them again in January with just as much enthusiasm as now. We watched last seasonâÂÂs reruns all summer with just as much enjoyment as the first time around.

Thanks, kswl, for providing all the info needed to make this early viewing possible! I was dreading having to wait until 2015 for DA, and now I donâÂÂt have to.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are welcome! We don't have TV per se but have a variety of ways to get the programming we want, mostly with no or very little commercial interference.

I imagine tunnelbear does beary well at the beginning of a Downton season!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I was very late to the DA party. I heard so much about it but never watched an episode. A few months ago I joined Amazon Prime and to my delight I could watch the first four seasons via Prime Instant Video. Needless to say I am hooked. When I finished season four I felt that I was missing my friends. I can't wait to see season five in January.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last night's episode was not really that exciting, but lots of new plot developments! Possible: romance for Rose, changes for Mrs. Crawley (Matthew's mother), and --- as usual--- Something is Up With Thomas.

I do enjoy this series!!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another killer episode last night!!! My favorite line this week: when someone says to the Dowager, "So I guess I'll just have to be a good loser?" Violet responds, ""Oh my dear, I think it's far too late for that."

Many plot points ramping up but I must say I am tired of servants getting arrested.....Mr. Carson should be monitoring these folk better. No, I am not going to say who, or for what.

Anyone else watching this season in real time, or is everyone waiting for it to appear next year on PBS?

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I'm waiting. It gives me something to live for in the dreary months of January and February.

I'm going to the Winterthur Musuem to see a display of DA costumes. They have 40 costumes used in the show.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Where have I been? I had no idea there was a new season. DH is going to be so pleased! Not.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Don't fret - you haven't missed anything. PBS will air the new season here in the States in January. Kswl is watching it as it airs in the UK through the magic of voodoo television.

If you scroll back to 9/23 she explains how she does it - I think it involves smoke and mirrors. lol!

This post was edited by maire_cate on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 16:01

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Voodoo tv, I like it :-)

Hhireno, I would love Lady Mary's wardrobe!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Hhireno - I'm also planning a trip to Winterthur to see the exhibit. It's only about an hours drive for me - I just wish they had included jewelry too.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Marie cate
    I'm an hour and half away. I'm waiting for someone to get back to me to confirm which date she's available to go but I want to go soon. We went to see the Grace Kelly exhibit (in Doylestown) last January and the weather was a nightmare. I want to go sooner versus later so we don't repeat that. The Xmas decor will be up after the 22nd, I think.

Kswl,
    I still longingly recall a plaid coat Mary wore in a hunting scene, the first year I believe. It would be great if that is included in the exhibit, I'd love to see it up close. Something about the tailoring on that just really grabbed me. Of course I'm not built anything like her. I'd look like a fire plug wrapped in a plaid blanket.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Does anyone know anything about where Downton Abbey has been these last two weeks? Are the programs not broadcasting? IâÂÂve not been able to get anything since Nov. 9th, and donâÂÂt know whatâÂÂs going on. Does anyone?

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Ohh.. I didnt realize there was an exhibit at Winterthur. That's a pretty easy trip as long as the weather cooperates. Thanks for the information Hhireno! Maybe we'll go to Longwood and make a weekend of it!