Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outsideplaying_gw

Apple Users - Have you downloaded version 8.0?

I've been a little reluctant for some reason to download the new 8.0 version. Usually I download the newest version right away, but something I read has me waiting until I see some feedback.

Has anyone downloaded this version yet, and if so, have you noted any problems? I saw someone post on the 'iphone 6' thread about a problem uploading photos from their ipad since they went to 8.0.

Maybe I'm listening to a gut instinct that is all wrong. I'm usually not this much on the fence about anything. Thanks!

Comments (23)

• deegw
    9 years ago

I have a 4s phone. I recently updated to 7 just last week and it blew out my wifi. Apple support wouldn't help me until I updated to 8. I like 8, seems to run fine but I still don't have wifi. I use photobucket for pictures so i can't help with that issue.

DH has a 4s, updated to 8 and his phone is fine

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I updated to 8 on my 4s and it was fine.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

OP, I had the same odd feeling and reluctance as you (ipad2)! In addition to the photo posting problems, I'm also hearing about browser problems, game-playing and speed issues, wi-fi problems... and something about Apple scrambling to release a 'fix' to the new problems they've introduced. :p

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I usually wait about 6 months to update :)

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your replies so far. I have an ipad mini and a 5s phone. I think I'll wait a little longer to update. A lot of apps have already introduced updates to accommodate v8 so I don't know how some of those will function; probably ok for now. I don't play games, but I do depend on wifi and I do post photos on occasion from the ipad and phone. I sure hate to give up speed as well.

And of course, if you update to 8 you can't go back to 7 so for now I'm staying unless someone convinces me otherwise.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I usually wait it out but for some bizarre reason I updated my Ipad as soon as it was offered.

I am having trouble with it locking up. The keyboard frequently locks and I need to reboot. Sometimes the email is saved in drafts and sometimes it locks up before the first automatic save.

I haven't been able to upload a picture to facebook. I have a great pix that I'm just itching to share and it won't upload. ð©

I googled ios8 problems and many mention wifi issues but I can't say I notice that. I don't play games or watch shows so I haven't noticed speed problems.

I am not tech savvy so I'm not sure what might be operator error versus update quirks. I never had photo to Facebook problems before so I'm blaming that on 8.

I was admiring the iPhone 6 of a complete stranger (I think she said it was 6x?) and she told me some people have ios8 issues because they don't have enough space. Does this make sense to any techies? So based on the advice of a complete stranger on the bus home from NYC, I've been cleaning up my email accounts. Does this free up space? I dunno but it was long overdue.

In summary, I wish I had waited so they could fix any issues on their end.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Errant, maybe this isn't what you want re. Posting ics here. I don't have photo
    Bucket, so I simply write my post or reply, then click on "choose file " at the top here, and go to my ipad photos, pick one and it appears in box. You then see it in preview. Sorry if you wanted other info....I am so not a techie
    Marti

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I just saw this headline

Apple Pulls iOS Software Update
    Apple Says Investigating Reports Of Problems with Update

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mtn! Glad you saw that.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I will just add I have a iPhone 5 and I updated it yesterday and it's working just fine. I have not had time to update the iPad yet, and my husband hasn't updated his 5c yet either, but I've had no issues on my phone.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Apple pulled 8.0.1.

They did not pull 8.0.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I also wait awhile to update so Apple can get the bugs out.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I just downloaded 8.0 late yesterday...I wish I had read of some of the issues beforehand. I was so far behind in updates on iPad...didn't think they would jump to 8.0. It seems to hang a lot on my wifi - like it's trying to catch up. I'm disappointed at QA since jobs passed...becoming another Microsoft os without as much hacking...yet. I don't see any way to rollback to a previous release. Bummer.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Nope - I always let someone else suffer through the early bugs and I wait until they come out with the updated version with the fixes.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 9:53

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I downloaded the update last night on my ipad mini, less than 6 months old, many interenet sites crashing. Wish I hadn't done it until the bugs were fixed. Worst update in my apple experience. Lots of apps and sites weren't ready for it.

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sooooo glad I'm listening to all of you!! I'm still sticking with my current version for now. It's working just fine and we're about to go on vacation, so I don't want to be stuck with an inoperable mini. It does seem to be a bit haphazard that some are having problems and some aren't. My mini is almost 2 years old.

Kswl, I notice on a lot of the app updates, some say they are 8.0-ready and some haven't been made ready for update at all.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I'm also one to wait. My business depends on smooth running software so I never jump on the wagon until the wheels have fallen off a couple of times!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

And why did I not think to check that out, outsideplaying...... I am getting techno lazy!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I spent yesterday afternoon at the Apple Store, sitting at the table for people with no appointments and interviewed them while I waited for my turn, this after spending five hours off and on Sunday talking to Apple Alleged Support Guy on phone, after IOS 8.0 crashed my iPad2 , rendering it a new form of frisbee. Upshot--my iPad is fine, problem is with my WiFi. Nevermind that my computer (not 8), DH's PC computers, and our iPhones (not updated) are working fine with WiFi. I noticed that everyone there with iPhones said Apple Tech on phone had been useless and their phones had turned into expensive bricks, and we were all treated like our problems were unique and fascinating. Galling. Apple has blown it.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Updated my iPad Air to the new version yesterday morning. I did have one incident of the keyboard going dead, rebooted and all is well since.

Annoying pop-up asking me to sign-in to my iCloud itunes that comes up each time I go online. I don't do iTunes, so I just cancel it each.and.every.time.

Teresa

• romy718
    9 years ago

I had problems posting pics, screen freezing, slow speed, etc after updating to 8.0. I updated to 8.0.2 yesterday & all is back to normal (as far as I know). I usually don't update for a couple of weeks/months. Lesson learned.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022