Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1929spanish

Anyone been to the Cook Islands?

1929Spanish
9 years ago

I've got a "big birthday" next October and am trying to decide which beach I want to be sitting on with my DH and a big cocktail. The time of year isn't the best for many areas and I've been to Tahiti and HI several times.

Last weekend I started looking at the Cook Islands and thought that it might work. We're West Coasters, hence the tendency to go in that direction.

Anyone been there and have any information?

Comments (10)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

no, how about Bali?

• 1929Spanish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mtn...for some reason that I can't explain, Bali is not high on my list.

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Went to Bali on our honeymoon. Absolutely loved it but can understand why it might not be a popular destination. Sorry, no experience with the Cook Islands.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Really? It was on my list for years, and then I finally went.

I love the gorgeous terraced rice paddies, incredible snorkeling and beaches, and the fascinating architecture and Hundu rituals. And shopping! It is one of my favorite places.

AND, it has three Aman resorts, which are the best of the best. Start in the mountains at Amandari with your outdoor tub overlooking the terraced paddies. Then switch it up and move to the Amankila with the most wonderful ocean views.

Plus, you can take Singapore Air there; love their all business class planes; larger than most International First Class sleeper beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: includes daily al fresco massages...

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Incredible. Someone found a place that the world traveling GWers haven't visited. You could be a trailblazer! Go west young man, discover the Cook Islands and report back.

• 1929Spanish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@hhireno - heehee. Maybe that's an answer in itself! I am looking for a place that is totally disconnected where we can power down and relax. I try and celebrate each "big birthday" differently and this one needs to be spent with DH alone on a new beach (cocktail in hand)!

I'll report back next year. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Friend remarked that Fiji was very nice...though that was a couple of decades ago...no idea if it still is....

• Jules
    9 years ago

What do you like to do during the day, and what kind of accommodations/amenities do you prefer?

• 1929Spanish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On this trip I want to sit in the sun, shade and water. I want to swim, snorkle, get on a boat, drink a little, nap, read and finish the day with a decent diner. All that without thinking. I want nice, but not "fancy-pants". I like beach front, not over water. I don't want to be tied to a cell phone or the Internet. Late October travel takes a number of options off the table.

I was in Tahiti at Club Med twice- 1997 in Moorea and 2004 in Bora Bora - and loved it. Both times I didn't have to do anything unless I heard silverware clinking in the dining room... left my makeup and nice clothes at home. It was wonderful. I look at some of the resorts that are on those islands now and think its just too much.

Hawaii is often a family visit for me. I can get there in 5 1/2 hours and go for a short time. I'm too easily reachable by phone and/or email and get contacted from work. Yuck! I always have a good time, but don't see it much as a get-away vacation destination. (I fly on air miles earned from work travel so I'm not spending a lot of money for these trips)

I don't mean for my Hawaii statements to sound snotty, it's beautiful there....just a different kind of trip for me.

• Jules
    9 years ago

I'll throw out a couple remote resorts in that region for you to check out on tripadvisor.

Aitutaki and Rarotonga - Cook
    Likuliku and Tokoriki - Fiji
    Reef Resort - Tonga