Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

More fall clothes shopping

deegw
9 years ago

I am looking for thin crew neck or v neck sweaters that I can wear over blouses. Longer length, fine weave, trim fitting but not tight, preferably not with a large waist band that makes a blousy effect.

Everything I see is too short, too thick, too wide or too tight. Does anyone have a favorite sweater that fits the bill?

Comments (10)

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

My go-to's for classic sweaters are J Crew or Banana Republic. Have you tried there?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Ann Taylor always sems have some crew neck or v-neck sweaters that aren't too wide, too tight or without a wide band. Good to check the above choices too (BR and J Crew). I don't care for LL Bean, Lands End anymore because they are too loose-fitting for my taste. Eddie Bauer sometimes has a few things but usually they are bulkier than I think you want.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I was just into Sears (Canada) and they had some nice looking and nice weight ones.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I think why you are having a problem is that wearing a sweater over a blouse is not popular.
    Thin sweaters stand on their own. If you need to layer, I would try sweater sets, or long open style cardigans.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

The Gap, Old Navy, Target~depends how much you want to spend. And I have to agree w/ellendi, it's just not popular right now, but if that's what you like, keep up the hunt. Cardigan's are all over the place. Target has them in every color, but I can't remember the price.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Outsideplaying, have you seen the latest Lands' End catalogue? I couldn't believe how stylish many of the items are!
    I just ordered a jacket and boots and will probably order a few sweaters at some point.

• deegw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, cardigans are fine too. I guess I just need to hit more stores. We don't have too many choices around here - Target, one decent department store, TJ Maxx and a bunch of funky boutiques. I find that either the shape of a garment is dated or it doesn't fit well or the fabric is junky. I was hoping that someone could share a favorite style from a major retailer.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Agree about j crew, and Loft. Marino wool especially.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

My go to place is Loft. (Ann Taylor is good for business attire, which I really don't need.)
    I order most of my clothing online since the store has a very small petite department. After a while you get to know your size. I'm a medium in sweaters and tees but sometimes go down a size or two for a blouse.
    If you order $125, shipping is free. I usually return things I don't want to the store. This way I see what's there as well.
    If I have to reorder, I explain my disappointment, and most of the time I get the shipping for the replacement for free.
    It might pay for you to make a day of it and go to the closest large mall. Macy's, Lord and Taylor, Gap, Banana, JCrew, JJill, and all the others. Go with an open mind and try on everything!

• User
    9 years ago

Deee, have you looked at Pemdleton online? I haven't seen this year's catalog but last year's had several lovely, lightweight (thin) sweaters in the styles you mention, perfect for layering. (I am a cardigan person myself and could open a shop with twinsets.)