Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Not getting what you want....

User
10 years ago

Here is a link to a wonderful Dhamma talk. Give yourself the 14 1/2 minutes ,a gift to you. I will also link to the webpage where you can peruse more talks etc. DH and I meditate daily and have attended retreats. There is nothing new here but sometimes it helps to "hear" when thoughts or ideas are expressed once again by a new voice. c

http://www.dhammatalks.org

Here is a link that might be useful: No getting what you want...

Comments (8)

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I'm saving this for tomorrow morning with my first coffee, thanks Trail !!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mitch..just wondering if you had time to listen. Pretty amazing talk....c

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Hi Trail, I listened to it on monday morning and it really resonated on me, specially the part of stopping the noise in your brain, the thoughts that reoccur without any reason and that keep you from advancing and letting go , I need to listen to it again, it seemed that every sentence he said had a gem I wanted to reflect more on. Lately I've been feeling depleted mentally and I realized when I feel that way I am more vulnerable to the thoughts that invade me and I have to chase them away.

all this to say, thanks for that link, I'm going to listen to it againâ¦â¦..

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need to listen to it more also. He has many talks . Perhaps you will find some others that are also pertinent. I sure do have a problem with that "noise" too...I am glad you found it useful. c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Thanks, TR. That was a very nice gift. He made quite a few good points and brought some of the thinking together for me that I didn't quite understand.

I'll have to look at more of the talks there.

I've been doing the 21 day from wild divine with all the chanting, and while it is different way in, I'm not sure I'm finding it as useful as the silent mantras. It seems to be more hindu than buddhist. But definitely a nice experience.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi annie...we have tried the chanting..and while I like to listen to others do it , on a limited basis, I just can't wrap my head around it. Doesn't feel peaceful at all to me.

DH has listened to a number of this monk's talks, more than I , and finds them quite useful and to the point. As you say when you hear someone say something in just the right way it can clarify. Glad it helped. c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think the chanting thing works, when it stops. Like an aeolian harp, the resonance and vibration builds up inside with repetition, and the chant helps rein in the "monkey mind" but the silence and peace that comes when the chanting stops can be very deep given the contrast with the sound, and the vibration and resonance continues into the silence.

Except that on these meditations, there's less than 10 seconds of silence and the guy comes on and says something like, "Let's continue to keep our eyes closed while we enjoy the silence."

Well, it would be a lot easier to enjoy if he didn't interrupt it!
    Pffffhhh!

I know, let it go...let it go....

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha...you said it all ! c