Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicoletouk

Anyone have arthroscopic surgery on their knee?

nicoletouk
11 years ago

I have a torn meniscus and the doc recommends arthroscopic surgery. I did about 6 weeks of PT without real improvement.

I did a little research this morning and read a lot of posts by people who are worse of now than before surgery and wish they never did it. I realize these people are self-selecting and wouldn't be posting their good experiences as much.

So, I ask you... what are your experiences with arthroscopic knee surgery?

Nicole

Comments (5)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I had the same condition and did two days of therapy and then did the rest myself at home. I was fine withing a month. I also had bone chips removed from an accident that caused the condition.
    If you're still in pain you must go have an mri and see if all is well there. I'm not sure I'd let the same surgeon do anything more. At the least call him and see what he has to say. It could be that the therapy aggravated it and it now needs time to calm down. Good luck.

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 years ago

I had a torn meniscus and by the time the MRI was done the pain had become pretty minor, so ortho said I could wait on surgery till it really bothered me.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'm visiting a daughter and stepped out of the car one day and the pain became so unbearable, it was all I could do to limp. I was fortunate to be able to get in to a fantastic ortho who did surgery. He did tell me that I should have had the surgery initially as once torn, it is easier to tear more.

Immediately after surgery, I could climb stairs and the pain was gone. It is important that you follow instructions after surgery and keep it elevated and iced.

It is much better today. It isn't 100% because of arthritis, but no pain, just isn't like a 16 year olds knee. HTH

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i tore my meniscus many years ago. it was sore for a few months, but it gradually got better and i was a young mother and didn't really have the time/desire to schedule ortho appts. certainly within the year i had no pain and full range of motion. over the years i would occasionally(rarely) have sharp pain when the little torn piece would probably get lodged somewhere, but i would give it a day or two and it would work it's way out and be 'fine' again. finally about 4 1/2 yrs ago it became sore and i lost some range of motion. had mri and a ganglion cyst had developed in there too- probably from years of irritation from the tear according to doc. i had arthro surgery to repair tear and remove cyst. i didn't regret having the surgery because my knee had become fairly uncomfortable, but it didn't make me all better by any means. i'm an active person and didn't rest it like i should have, and i had LOTS of residual swelling and soreness for a couple of years post op and still do not have full range of motion. it is much better now 4 yrs after the fact, but i doubt if i will ever be able to run on it. subsequent mris have been alittle inconclusive and i have opted not to have another surgery at this point. it is frustrating tho. i wonder if i should have had an immediate repair of the tear and if it would have been a simple rehab... i don't know. but MOST of the 13+ yrs after i had torn it but before it was repaired were much better than the 4 since...

• User
    11 years ago

Torn meniscus didn't get any better after 6 weeks. Went through MRI to confirm and had surgery 3 months later. I live in a 2 story home with bedroom on 2nd floor so had my sister help on day of surgery and additional 2 days, then I was mobile. I was off pain pills after about 4 days, then out and about. Did my own PT per doctor's instructions and was back to work in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, that knee is very arthritic and I have recurring problems, but not from the meniscus injury.

• nicoletouk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I was hoping to postpone this surgery until Xmas (I work in a school) but this weekend it seems to have suddenly gotten much worse - don't know why - and I don't really think I can put this off.

In college I dated a hockey player who had this procedure, and he was back on the ice in about a week. I have to keep reminding myself I am not a 20 year old athlete!

I'm still uneasy about this.

Thanks again for your input! Nicole