Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Do you have a Fitbit or other activity tracking device?

Sueb20
10 years ago

I thought I wanted a Fitbit, but the reviews on Amazon are so mixed! Do you have one, or something similar?

Comments (32)

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

I'm on the fence too, because of reviews that say there are accuracy problems. My neighbor has one and loves it, especially as he was interested in tracking his sleep habits.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I have the Fitbit One, not the wrist band style (Flex?). I love mine. Even though I tell everyone I meet about it, I wanted the One because its so small and discrete. I often clip mine to my bra, which makes it very hard to show people! I wouldn't want to wear the bracelet style when dressed up because it's a rubbery casual bracelet.

I like to be able to see the step count display and not have to sync it to the computer. I think some wrist band styles don't have the display feature. My friend wore a Nike Band and I think she could only see her status by syncing with her phone or computer. I just want to push the little button and check my steps or flights. In case you're paying attention and wondering, I don't do that when it's clipped to my bra. Maybe it's easy and quick to sync with your phone but I usually don't even know where my non-smart phone is so that doesn't work for me.

I like the weekly reports they send me. I do find wearing any type of tracking device to be motivating. I check it during the day and increase my activity if the number is too low or if I want to beat yesterday's levels.

Definitely get one, even if you don't go with a Fitbit.

eta: I'm not an athlete in training or a very precise, detail-oriented person so I don't worry about perfect accuracy. I use it to be motivated to move more and it works for me. My SIL, who is extremely precise about everything, was always troubled that her simple pedometer was off by a few steps. To her, accuracy was the most important feature and she stopped wearing it. She's also put on weight. Just sayin'.

This post was edited by hhireno on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 11:31

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

That's great info hhireno! I was concerned about the band, as I want to wear it at work to keep track of stairs, etc., but want it to be inconspicuous. My neighbor's is covered by his sleeve, but I wear a lot of 3/4 sleeve cardigans, so it would not only be obvious, but look a little weird with nice bracelets, etc.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hh, I hadn't looked to see the "author" of your response but when I read your comment about "in case you're paying attention and wondering..." I knew that had to be you. LOL.

Okay, so my question is -- and pardon me for being inappropriate -- when you clip the thing to your bra, it doesn't show? Like, it doesn't look like a third nipple or something? Even if you're wearing a t-shirt?

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I have the Fitbit Zip. It's the least expensive and doesn't monitor sleep. It's basically an expensive pedometer - at least the way I use it. The reports don't really help me out and it doesn't motivate me either.

I wear it everyday (facing the inside of my bra so it doesn't stick out) to monitor my steps for the day. However, I also were a HRM for my workouts which is an invaluable tool IMO. When I workout, the Fitbit basically converts my movements to steps so, for instance, one hour of Zumba equals 6000 steps.

I guess it does motivate me to move more often and I'm more inclined to take the stairs or park further away from the store, etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I had one and lost it, and I have had similar things in the past. It kind of had too many option, kwim?

Now all I have is a waterproof HRM watch. I swim every day and I use it to make sure my heart rate is in the target zone and I have swum my time.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I didn't want the Zip because I didn't want to be changing batteries and the One recharges with a plug-thingie. I recharge through my laptop or using my iPad charger and a wall outlet.

I did track sleep for awhile but all it proved was I'm an active sleeper. I already knew that. Toss, turn, flip. Repeat.

I wear a HRM watch and chest strap when working out, along with the One. They track different things and I like knowing both results.

Hmm, as to it showing through tee shirt I don't want to be indelicate. Perhaps it could depend upon your bust size. I have never noticed it when I'm dressed. I suppose a smaller busted woman wearing a tighter tee might notice a bump? I clip it in the middle between the cups. My anatomy is such that I have tracks of land protruding beyond the Fitbit, if that makes any sense. Sometimes I clip it to a pocket or just drop it in my pocket so you don't have to wear it on your bra.

The picture is to show the size and thickness compared to my stylus. (And it also shows my vetrestone countertops with the real shells imbedded. I love my countertops.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

::: hi jack :::

HHIreno, have you shown us those countertops before? I want to see more!! Stunning!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I don't think I've shown them before and I don't know why. I adore them. They might be my favorite part of the whole HHI reno. They're made by a South Carolina company called Vetrostone.

Originally, I wanted a countertop with imbedded sea glass but then discovered a neighbor had that, and while I still like that look, I didn't want to copy. When I saw the shells I fell in love with them. I'm sure someone else has them but I haven't seen it so I don't feel like I'm copying. Maybe if I ever redo my regular home countertops I'll do the glass there.

I can't seem to get a good picture that clearly shows the pretty pearl looking pieces that catch the light and shine a bit.

• doodledog_gw
    10 years ago

That's a stunning counter! Off to google the company...

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I have the ActiveLink through Weight Watchers. It works pretty well, similar to the FitBit. You can wear it also on the hip or bust. You have to have a WW membership plus pay $39 plus extra $5 per month. I am amazed I haven't lost it yet. It is water resistant to 3 ft, so it can be worn in the pool. I did water aerobics today.

All these accelerometers and pedometers do best when they are worn on the hip, if you follow up your foot and put it on your waistband there.

Now that I have iPhone 5 I might get the FitBit.

In our lab, we use the Actigraph accelerometers and DigiWalker pedometers. For the longest time these devices like Actigraph were used by universities/researchers, but now they've really filtered down to the general public.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Hmm, I thought I posted a response this morning. Oops!

I have a fitbit and love it. Like Hhireno, I am not really overly concerned about perfect accuracy. I wear it clipped to my bra just like she does as well. It doesn't show on me either. When I first got it I had it clipped to a pocket and lost it. Someone turned it in and fitbit returned it to me, but it took a month. That was when I was always checking it to see my steps. These days I just sort of go with it until the end of the day.

I like that it links with My Fitness Pal. This way next time I visit my Endocrinologist, I can honestly show her my calorie intake as well as a pretty good idea of my activity level. (bike riding messed up the count).

The plug dongle thing is a bit strange, but the charge lasts at least a week. I haven't been able to get it to sync directly with my iphone, but haven't worked that hard at it either. I usually sync straight to my laptop.

Beth P.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

If you really want a device that is practically lab-accurate, the BodyBugg/Sensewear armband (this is what they use on The Biggest Loser) is really probably the best thing, but it has to be worn on the upper arm. It is definitely larger than the Fitbits. It is also more expensive and also has a monthly subscription fee.

Oh gosh, it has been awhile but I was on a masters thesis for an earlier version of this. The company has been doing this work for a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: BodyMedia

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 22:14

• deegw
    10 years ago

Another highjack. Those counters! We just did our driveway and front walk with oyster tabby. I would love a tabby counter for our kitchen island. I can't believe the counters are made in Yemassee. The website doesn't have a list of vendors. Did you deal with the factory?

Before I get too excited, If you don't mind me asking, were the counters a splurge or was the price comparable to good granite?

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I believe my contractor dealt directly with the factory. He's used them on other jobs and his own house.

To the best of my recollection, which is not good (see above comments about my loosey-goosey, non-precise style) they were similar in price to granite. If my husband were here to ask, he'd probably know to the penny what they cost even though it was done in 2008.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

HH you crack me up! It sounds like the fitbit "snuggles" in your cleavage (am I being indelicate??). Or nestles. Is that a better word? Ha! I am full of it this morning. I think I would like your version better than wearing one on my wrist. I need to check into those. I really need to start working on a set number of daily steps.

Love your countertops and I bet the sea glass ones are also gorgeous! I love sea glass.

tina

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

I, too, have been looking for a "tracking" device. I have been reading about the FitBit. It tracks steps?? How does it know what kind of steps you are taking? I mean you are burning more calories in a power walk than in a stroll.
    I also looked at a HRM - there are literally hundreds out there.
    I want something to track calories burned. Someone in my exercise class had a Timex wrist band - and she announced at the end of the class 384 calories burned.
    I guess I am just trying to figure out how these things work - and if they are worth it.
    Thanks.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

What ever HRM you get (I prefer Polar) make sure it has a chest strap, they are the most accurate.

I loved the Bodybugg but once I figured out my average daily calorie burn on non-active days, I really didn't feel like I needed to use it anymore. I would just take that number, add in my workout calories from the HRM and that would total my energy expenditure for the day.

I did a RMR test at my endocrinologist's office and now that I have that number, it makes it even easier to figure out my daily expenditure. The obsessed nerd in me created an excel formula that figures out how many calories I need to eat/burn to lose a specified amount of weight per week. It's pretty accurate, now if I can just keep to the program for more than a couple weeks at a time . . .

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kelly. I have lost about 16 pounds with another 16 to go - realistically that may be about half of that - but still. I have just stalled over the last two months, just stalled. I am thinking if I have something to keep me more honest, that might be good. I work-out 4 times a week at a fitness class, bike, walk --- I am sure I have "calorie creep" and am just adding in more not even thinking about it ---- so I need something to log food as well.
    This is SO hard!!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

In my long, drawn out battle with weight, I have learned that one major key is simple awareness. Logging is very very important to me. If I'm not logging, I'm gaining.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

no-green, the pedometer/steps tracking is built into the device.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Gscience, I understand that. What puzzles me is how dies the device know if you are strolling or power-walking, which would alter the number of calories burned --- or does it just count steps regardless of what they are?

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Gscience, I understand that. What puzzles me is how dies the device know if you are strolling or power-walking, which would alter the number of calories burned --- or does it just count steps regardless of what they are?

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

I bought a fitbit one last night. Was upgrading my cell phone at Verizon and noticed they had them there. Since I had money left on my gift card to cover it, I figured it was a sign ;)

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Yay for you, goldgirl! I hope you find it motivational.

No-green,
    I don't know how any of these gizmos work. I can say if you're power walking you're moving faster and accumulating more steps rapidly so your calorie count also increases compared to a stroll. I wear a Polar HRM and it also tracks calories expended. I have never compared the calorie counts on my One and HRM, because I don't track my calories, so I have no idea if one is more accurate. On my gym log I document the HRM data (time, time in cardiac zone, average and high pulse rates). Each day when I download my Fitbit numbers I only ever look at steps and flights of stairs. Both of my gizmos provide calorie info but I don't pay attention to that so I can't comment as to which is more accurate.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Basically, the devices like FitBit (and other tri-axial accelerometers) can measure your movement forward, side to side, and up and down, and they resolve vectors on these X, Y, and Z axes (think physics) to gauge your level of speed/intensity.

A pedometer only records your forward movement, that is why it can only count steps and not gauge intensity.

So, that is why the accelerometer can also do step counts because that movement is already built in the device as one of the axes of movement it measures.

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 17:33

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

FWIW

The November 2013 issue of Consumer Reports tested 6 activity trackers and measured how accurate they were at counting steps and calories, ease of use and assessed their features.

The first three were recommended.

#1. Fitbit One also a CR Best Buy. (80 points)
    #2. Nike+FuelBand (70 pts)
    #3. Up by Jawbone (67 pts)
    #4. BodyMedia Fit Link Armband (64 pts)
    #5. Fitbit Flex (63 pts)
    #6. iHealth Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker (62 pts)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm ordering a Fitbit One right now!

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Gscience, thank you for that explanation - makes sense.
    Marie - thanks for the ratings.
    I think I need to order one as well, Sue. I just need to make sure I use it!! As I said, I have been at a standstill all summer - and need to buckle down and get rid of the last 10 (or 16!) I have given up ever thinking I will be stick thin (as I never have been) --- but just going down one more size will be great.
    I was in my yarn store this weekend. The owner, who has become a friend, told me I looked "fabulous". I almost cried.
    Another few pounds to "double fabulous".
    Sue - thanks for starting this thread. In addition to the "healthy check in" thread, we'll need to start a "fitbit" thread!
    Enjoy the day!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

What happens on the Fitbit One when you are driving a car? Your foot is moving somewhat and you are moving 25+ MPH. Do you have to turn it off?

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

They do not pick up driving movements.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I stopped by Best Buy and bought a Fitbit One on Monday evening. I have been painting the exterior of my house, going up and down a ladder for a few hours each day. I wore it yesterday for the first time - logged in over 8,000 steps but got no credit for going up the ladder repeatedly. I guess I'm not going high enough for it to register.

And you don't get credit for coming down the stairs - just going up.

Still, I think it's great. And now I understand how it could fit in a bra. The thing is about the size of my thumb.

The directions for using it are not readily available. It comes with no instructions - it sends you to their website, and even there the instructions are sketchy.

I tried to use it as a sleep tracker the first night - got into bed and held down the button for two seconds. What they don't tell you is what the Fitbit is going to do - that two second hold starts a stopwatch. I thought I had done something wrong.

I wore it on my ankle last night. It recorded my bathroom trips in the night - LOL.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz