Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Best mix of computers/gadgets?

violetwest
9 years ago

What do you use? a full desk top? a tablet? a reader? smartphone? some hybrid?

I have a laptop which is old and rarely used now. I use my Mac (wonderful for music and video) and my Kindle fire. and my iphone, of course. But I'm wondering if I need to replace my laptop, or just go with a fancier tablet like an ipad?

What combination of computers do you find most useful?

Comments (43)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I have had an ipad mini for almost 2 years now and I use it for almost everything at home. DH gave me a Surface 2 recently to replace my old laptop. I do use it also becayse I can't make up my mind between operating systems. And I like the larger screen size for certain things. I love that I can use the mini for reading and popping it into my tote bag for reading books, music, etc. And of course the iphone. Yeah, that's still 3 things, but 3 small things.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I have a Mackbook Pro, an ipad, an iphone and an ipad mini. ALl have kindle.

The ipad has been made superfluous now that I have a mini; i am not sure why people would choose an ipad over a mini. Perhaps they like a bigger screen (not nec. IMHO) or perhaps they are using it to take notes and prefer to add on keyboards for ipads.

In order of priority, i see my devices this way:
    1. iphone ... as a phone of course and to text, but moreso for portable connectivity. I am used to my "crystal" ball, which can answer any question I have about anything where ever i am. I cannot imagine not having a smartphone. I can shop, research, read a book, anything.

2. macbook pro - for work, for personal documents and spreadsheets, and when you want a comfy keyboard and big screen

3 ipad mini ---- i think of of it as an iphone w a bigger screen... great size and weight. fun

4.ipad - about to donate. now a paperweight

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Just a comment about keypads....you can add a keypad to anything, including an ipad mini. I have one but I don't use it very often. I do, however, use the attachable keypad for my Surface 2 quite often. I use MS Office very often, especially for spreadsheets, some photo editing, and a few other applications, which is why I like to keep a DOS-based system for now. Still use the mini about 80% of the time.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Outside, yes, but a colleague who uses an ipad for taking notes told me that he likes the ipad better because the size and case better match the size keyboard he likes? IDK, i don't use any add on keyboards.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

Mine include:

MacBook Air (love, love, love, love!). This thing is so light and portable that I can take it anywhere and it does everything I need for it to.

Smartphone. Simply could't live without it and I'm not a "gadget" person or a "talk on the phone" person or a "texting" person but I love it for gps, email, google, a few texts per day primarily with my daughter, a way to pass time in a waiting room, camera, etc. And my new one has a pedometer, pulse reader and other features I'm not even sure how to use yet. If I could have only one device, this would be it.

iPad. I need to sell it.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I don't have a smart phone, so I have an inexpensive data plan for my iPad mini and carry it with me everywhere for access to Internet and time-wasting games or book reading when I'm waiting somewhere for something.

I love my full sized iPad to use at home or when traveling to watch movies, play games and read books. I like the larger screen for all of those things compared to the mini's screen size. In fact, I would love to have an even larger format iPad. I was disappointed that Apple seems to have scrapped that device.

I have a small touch screen laptop that rarely gets used. I don't much like typing on a laptop. However, if I know I will have to use MS Office when travelling, then I take the laptop. I would love to have the newest Surface Pro with the Type cover. I am so in love with that product, but just can't justify the expenditure right now.

I have tower PC with a 27-inch monitor and that's what I use for work, Internet viewing, Email, etc. It's the workhorse of my collection of gadgets. I love a full size keyboard and a wide screen monitor as I create a lot of spreadsheets and mathmatical models. I used to watch rented videos on it, too, until I acquired an Apple TV.

I love my Apple TV. It was given to me as a gift and it's terrific for streaming video, both rented and free, to my television. I've done a lot of binge watching of older shows for free through Amazon Prime this summer.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I have a desktop all in one for Word, Excel, Quicken, etc. I have an ipad mini for reading books and surfing the net. I have an iphone for managing my life no matter where I am.

I just got a Surface at work to replace my laptop. Based on my experience so far I would highly recommend as a laptop replacement. Very compact and can be used with the keyboard like a laptop or with the touchscreen like a tablet. It's fully functional like a PC.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

My husband and I both have iphones. Also a laptop, an ipad and I have a Nook.

Phones get the most use. I use the laptop over the ipad. I just like the ease of it and type better on it. In other words, I am used to it. My Nook has web access, apps, etc. and I get a couple of magazine subscriptions on it. It gets used a fair amount and I like the size of it. I have a Kindle App on the laptop.

I don't play games, watch tv or stream movies on the computer. If I did, I can see where the larger size would be nice.

We also have a desk-top setup that is never used. I really should donate it.

I would be one that would go for the ipad mini should anything happen to my Nook.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

mini-tower under my desk, hard-wired to the router for graphics and Internet games. It's the screen size and huge hard drive.

Laptop for road trips ...

Tablet for reading in bed and casual internet use, like checking weather and e-mail.

• Patty C
    9 years ago

In order of priority:

1. iPhone: phone, text, email, map directions, flashlight and everything and anything else I need on the go (except office apps)

2. desktop with 2 large monitors side by side acting as one huge monitor (I am a software developer and tend to have lots of windows open at the same time) and a wireless mouse and keyboard. This is my preference at home - I find it to be much more comfy than a laptop

3. Kindle paperwhite for reading

4. iPad: for email and internet access when traveling or couch-surfing

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

I have a MacBook which I also love. I am on it right now.

My iPad is my Scrabble pal. I do like the larger screen over the mini.

The mini iPad stays in my purse.

I have an iPhone that I rarely use.

I also have smart tv's and love being able to binge on old, new and in between series and films.

I also am inept at using any of my devices.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I love my Mac, but it's not the best for word processing or things to do with work -- need Windows for that.

poor ipad --seems to be the loser here.

Wouldn't there be too much redundancy with an iphone and an ipad mini?

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Violet, for me the iPad Mini is better than the iPhone because it is a larger screen. I know I am in the minority. iPhone is coming out with a larger screen, but the mini is still larger.

• maddie260
    9 years ago

I have an iphone, macbook pro, ipad, and kindle fire. I use the iphone the most, but use it mostly for quick reviews of everything, checking email on the run, etc. (I can't wait for the iphone 6!) I love, love my macbook pro, and it is my go-to device! The ipad is okay; I can take it or leave it, and if I didn't have one, I wouldn't miss one. I should say that I have synced my macbook bookmarks with my ipad, so that it functions more as a computer; I don't like how many apps present. I will throw it in my bag if going somewhere overnight, etc. I like having a dedicated reading device.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

We have a newer PC (WIN 8) that my husband uses, which is great because it's back in the office.

99.9% of the time I use my iPad Air. I can send what I need to print from it to my printer that is also in the office (magic). I print very little.

I do all my banking and bill paying, surfing, Facebook, etc. from my iPad.

Android phone that I use if really necessary when not at home and texting with my family members that rather text then email.

Almost all picture taking is now with my iPad or phone.

Original Kindle for reading. BlueRay for streaming to our TV.

ML

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention Smart TV, which others have mentioned. Love it! Use for regular cable as well as streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

Also, I went on vacation recently and had a smart tv to watch. I was able to log into my own Netflix account and watch movies using that. It was great because the local service was not that good.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Yes, I suspect an iPad mini would be somewhat redundant if you already have an iPhone, but it depends on your planned usage. If I had an iPhone, I would choose a full-sized iPad over the mini because I like to watch videos.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

funny people are not mentioning e-readers like the Kindle. I do use my Kindle fire (web enabled) every day -- for reading material, for audiobooks, for Pinterest, and for casual surfing of the web. I don't like it for shopping.

I use my iPhone constantly, too but it's getting to be too tiny for reading! I use it for GW when I need to upload pictures.

I also recently bought a Smart TV, and I love it! Most used app is my Amazon Prime video. I have a Roku, but it's not set up right with my Dish network -- which I'm hoping to dump soon.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Need to use Microsoft Office, so my laptop is #1. My friend just got the Microsoft Surface tablet/PC, but that is $1,000.

iPad is used sometimes for work, for conferences, meetings, travel. Yes, I know there is a Microsoft Office for iPad, but we were told with our work iPads we cannot download it because it is a home program.

Phone is last resort. Thinking about getting iPhone 6 since my 5's battery is losing life already.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Mtnrd, I don't really use the attachable keypad for my mini very much at all. Didn't mean to imply that I did, but I do use it for long stretches on my Surface, plus it keeps the screen cleaner. For taking notes, yes I'd think it would be faster to use a keypad. I for one can type so much faster on a 'real' keypad.

I also use a mouse when I'm working on something like a spreadsheet. It's just easier for me that way. At work I have a huge monitor and desktop computer - the big deal for complex powerpoint, etc, so if I don't have to do that at home I'm all for it. Some of the volunteer stuff, though, I end up being the only one who knows how to put a spreadsheet together. Sheesh!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I have an ancient creaking laptop and a $15 a month flip phone. Really bad, I know. I almost never talk on the phone.

So, if you were going on vacation -- let's say Italy -- and wanted to buy a new device to connect to the internet, what would you buy? I'm thinking an ipad mini. but sometimes wonder if an ipod would be better. I have a point and shoot camera.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I don't like using my iphone for anything other than texting and talking.....it is just too small for regular computer stuff...the touchpad, screen, everything....I just get too frustrated trying to look stuff up or read anything.

We have a laptop at home but I seldom use it. I am on a regular PC at work all day, so will do stuff at work if I can't do it on the iPad. Am on a regular iPad all the time at home. It's frustrating too sometimes when things don't pop up, etc...but I surf while watching TV at night.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Ipad air, macbook air ( love love it ) Iphone 5-

I thought I'd use my ipad more , I bought it when my macbook was soaked by diet coke and had to be repaired, but I find the macbook air so light, the ipad is not that attractive ( except to play Candy Crush, lol)-

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

forgot to include smart tv ! of course

For those complaining the iphone is too small for surfing the net, etc, have you tried voice commands? The software is quite good

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Mtn, I haven't used the voice command except when I want to voice an opinion and not be judged (j/k). Seriously, thank you for reminding me of that capability.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

not a gadget but I must add I also love Apple TV.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

My smart phone is now 4 years old and I'm replacing it soon - just haven't decided which phone to get but the most important features would be camera quality and how well it integrates with my car's Bluetooth.

DH uses the PC that's in his study and there's a laptop in the kitchen.

My primary internet device is a Kindle Fire HDX with the 8.9 screen. It's small enough to fit in my handbag and it's great for watching videos. I gave my Kindle eReader to DD.

A Smart TV is the next purchase - as soon as I wade through the reviews.

This post was edited by maire_cate on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 7:58

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm very slow to upgrade and I'm mostly at home these days so I've kept my blackberry as my cell phone and I like the ease of having a keypad where I can still check my vm and email...it works well enough for me...though I suppose if I were away more and had a smartphone with better internet access I'd be happier.

At home I have a macbook which is my workhorse for computering...love a keyboard, nicely sized screen, and the functionality.

Then I have an ipad which I got for DH who is of the generation that hand/eye/mouse coordination was not good...he's much happier being able to touch a screen and loves checking things like the stock market and weather... For me, it's my gaming toy. I hate using it for things like email and gw as the autocorrect drives me nuts and the keyboard necessitates enough typos that I still need it. Trying to type in any html code on the ipad is a total PITA! And for whatever reason, if I'm typing in a gw message and then open a new window to look something up or to grab a link, when I go back to the first window, the message is gone. GRRR.

I can't imagine trying to type on a smaller pad. Once GF was driving and wanted me to text her DH on her iphone when we were going to be home...it took me 15 min to type in the stupid short message as my fingers and "keyboard" did not mesh. Perhaps as mtnrd suggests, voice recognition might be the way to go.

But the other thing is I'm simply not interested enough to go through the pain of switching to something new. As it is, I need to upgrade my mac OS and I still haven't done it as it's a royal pain and I'm fearful something will go wrong and I'll lose everything...when right now, if I just leave it alone, I'm fine. Ain't broke, don't fix mentality.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I don't have a problem surfing, texting or whatever on the iphone. My eyesight is good. I know hubby has to put on his readers to do anything on his though. Maybe try the new larger iphone.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I have a cheap smartphone, desk top computer that is shared with the family, and kindle fire (love it)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, and I didn't even mention the ipods, which I use constantly. It's completely frustrating to me that all the small, portable ipods have tiny capacities that I can only fit a small portion of my music on.

My 160gb classic died, but it wasn't very portable. (We're so spoiled these days!). I've been eyeing the ipod touch with 64gb, but 1) it's expensive; and 2) it's so similar to my iphone I feel weird getting another one that just plays music.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I don't find an ipad mini and iphone redundant. I carry my iphone in my pocket every where - for grocery lists, to do lists, every possible list and any possible notes I need to write down not to mention my calendar, maps, email and anything I might need to find out on the internet when I'm on the go. I just bought a new iphone 5s because I don't want a phablet. I want something that fits comfortably in my pocket and I was tired of dealing with two different power cords for ipad and iphone 4s.

I use my ipad primarily for couch surfing and reading ebooks. I used to have a Nook for books but scrapped that when the iPad mini came out with retina display so I could get B&N books and Kindle books. The larger screen for internet use is also a plus over the iphone. However I had my phone for years before I got the ipad and have come to depend on it as my repository and automation tool for just about everything.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

This thread cracks me up...not sure how I'm getting through my days with an older macbook and a flip phone, reading books on paper.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

olychick I am SO with you!!! I do not own an i-anything (and won't), still use a laptop (luddite that I am) because I want a keyboard - with actual keys. Love my smartphone and it's convenient for many things but within limits. Had a tablet - hated it for anything but reading a book on a plane and even that was iffy.

For those of you doing your banking off of phones and tablets of one size or another - do you have security software on them or are you working without a net, so to speak?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

I have a flip phone, my last one lasted 6 years, and I am frustrated at how quickly the screen is going on this one but am not likely to upgrade.

I do have an ipod touch and will probably upgrade it because in the last year it has been malfunctioning some, but I have had it for some time. I agree that an iphone and a touch would probably be redundant.

I have a desk top which I use for work. I would like a lap top at some time for when I do not want to be in my office but want to do internet searches or other stuff. We have a Kindle fire but that is mainly for the kids use. We actually have a second desk top that is a gaming computer, I stay away from that.

I do have an e-reader (Kindle) and I love it. Smart-TV is not something i was even aware of. Sounds nice but i watch so little that the chances of me upgrading the television any time soon is unlikely. We are considering something like Roku or Amazon TV but we can acces Prime videos through the Wii so we will just have to wait and see.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

dlm2000, I don't do my banking on phones or tablets but would like to know about what security is available.

It was my understanding, and I may be wrong, and I am sure I am, that there is a security risk if you are using your phone or iPad in a public place. I would love to know how wrong I am :-)

I definitely could live without the gadgets but when my wifi goes down, if it weren't for an old fashion telephone I have, I would feel a bit lost. I'd get over it tho. (I have a very dry sense of humor so no snark intended).

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Internet banking is Internet Banking. Using a secure tablet or smartphone is the same as using a PC. Passwords and Virus protection are essential for all. Using the bank's app to access your accounts is another layer of protection.

The following is from a Huffington Post article about security and banking using your tablet or smart phone:

How safe is it?

Smartphone banking is just as secure as Internet banking, provided you choose the right software.

All legitimate banking apps require passwords and will accesses your details from a secure data centre, so your account data is never stored directly on your phone.

ItâÂÂs also important to follow a few basic safety rules:

⢠Download antivirus software and keep your app updated to avoid threats from malware

⢠Switch off Bluetooth when you use your app and donâÂÂt access it over public wifi

⢠DonâÂÂt let your phoneâÂÂs browser automatically save passwords

⢠Password lock your phone

⢠Delete texts from your bank after you read them

⢠DonâÂÂt âÂÂjailbreakâ your phone as this can remove built in security features

ML

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Thank you, Maddielee! Thankfully, I do practice safe banking :-)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

maddielee the passwords go without saying and all banking and bill pay sites have them. But security software is not automatic and that's what I'm asking about - honestly, I don't know anyone who has it on their phone and I doubt any of my friends have it on tablets either. I could certainly be wrong but I think most people just load up their apps and go and even if the app is specific for their bank, is that really enough? I see people in coffee shops shopping online from their phones/tablets all the time. I have an Amazon app on my phone and use it to check things out and maybe add to cart but come home to actually buy where I have layered security. I may be overly cautious - am I?

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Dlm, you are probably smart not to shop using a public wifi although I've never heard of anyone who has ever actually had a problem. (Yes, there are stories, usually about a friend of a friend who has been hacked.)

But most apps that are used on phones and tablets update security when you update the apps.

ML

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I resisted getting a smartphone for a long time. When I needed to upgrade my phone last fall I found that I could get an iPhone 4 (last generation) for $9.99 so thought what the heck. I wasn't going to get a data plan for it but DH got it anyway. So glad he did. It's great.

At home I have a MacBook. For traveling an iPad.We go through/end up at a lot of places that don't have wifi so the 3/4G on the iPad is nice to have (although some places we don't even get 3G - SOL). I read some books on the iPad but generally prefer hardcover.

We have a notebook at home because one, rather obscure, program that DH uses isn't available for Apple products.

To those who have trouble typing on the smaller devices: Just keep at it. I had trouble at first even on the iPad but eventually my mind and fingers figured it out.

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

>I love my Mac, but it's not the best for word processing or things to do with work -- need Windows for that.

Don't understand that at all. Word/Office was for mac first, you know, even before there was windows. I hate Word but it does work just fine on a mac. I exchange extremely marked up/commented docs all the time with my windows-using editor and the production department and there are no problems at all.

I would actually like an ipad with a bigger screen, for gigging as a musician. I do use my ipad now (I love not having to lug a huge bag of music around), but I have to grapple with the vanity/vision struggle all the time. I'd love to have one with a screen as large as an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.

I have a macbook pro, an ipad, a dumb phone, and an old ipod touch, but given a choice I still prefer to read on paper.

But doodads do come in handy. I made a totally unexpected trip to the ER a few years back and wound up being in the hospital for a week. I was mighty glad my ipod touch happened to be in my purse so that I had something to read.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Oops, that last post was mine. Conchita's a neighbor and she was over here earlier when she was having trouble with her cable connection. I guess she forgot to log out of GW.