Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Totally off-topic

kitchendetective
10 years ago

Unless you decorate with drool, as some of us do . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Life with big dogs

Comments (18)

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

Loved all those photos of the huge dogs......but just canâÂÂt imagine what it costs to feed one! Two little terriers is enough for me!

Thanks for the smiles!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I really enjoyed that, thanks kitchendetective!

• golddust
    10 years ago

We are co-habitating with Derek's Great Dane. Her name is Lola ('Lola Granola', since moving to California from Texas).

Lola joined our family about five weeks ago. She is six years old and a horse of a dog. Luckily we live on two fenced acres, so there is plenty of room for her to exercise. Watching her run is like looking at art. She has a beautiful gait.

Lola was a rescue dog, given to Derek as a puppy by a long ago girlfriend, when she realized she couldn't care for her shortly after purchase. (Sigh)

The good news is: She doesn't shed, doesn't drool and isn't allowed in the kitchen, where she could eat comfortably off the table. Lola has a great temperament and Jack, our Chocolate Lab, is in love with her. They play outside and sleep together. She has no bad habits, thankfully.

Derek is living at home while saving money to relaunch himself after his company unexpectedly disolved. Somehow I don't see him being able to take Lola with him when he goes, so I am viewing Lola as a permanent resident. I'm glad for our large house. Most of the time when she is inside, I don't even know she is here. Derek was going to try to re-home her in Texas but I insisted he bring her. It is not easy finding a new home for an older horse-dog. When I see how attached Lola is to Derek, I'm glad I insisted.

She does go through dog food but no more than Jack. Great Danes are tall but thin built. She is a good grand dog.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Loved that. Our neighbors have a Great Dane, and when their son was going through cancer treatment I volunteered to walk him. Thank goodness he is well-behaved, because if he had pulled there would have been nothing I could do. I was surprised when she told me they only live about 8 years. Made me sad.

• jenna1
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness...how cute!

A year or so ago someone here posted a thread titled something like "how do you dress your bed". Every time I looked at it I couldn't help chuckling. Our bed is always "dressed" with two cats and one very large German shepherd. The cats own the pillows and the dog owned the rest. I gave up trying to 'fancy up' our bed years ago.

We had a friend who had a Great Dane and another who had a Great Pyrenees. All dogs were included in get-togethers and the three were best friends and it was nothing but play, play, play, get a drink of water, play, play, play. Our dog was one of the first GS's that we owned (or rather, who owned us) and probably the largest of all the shepherds we ever had. Someone noticed that it seemed awfully quiet and that the dogs weren't around and we all went looking for them, afraid that somehow they had managed to get out of the back yard. Found them all stretched out on the bed sound asleep (this was long before we got our first cat). Do you realize how small a king sized bed gets when you have three monster dogs stretched out on it? Wish one of us had thought to take pictures.

Over the years none of our dogs were allowed on our furniture and truthfully, not even the bed, but during the day our dog/dogs end up there. We think our dog invited the other two up on the bed for a nap so that they could recoup for their next play go-around.

Love, love, love stories and pictures of dogs.

Jenna

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Steven the Fearful Furball cracked me up! What a cutie.

• User
    10 years ago

I just love those pictures! Thanks for posting the thread, got a pic of Lola and Jack Goldie? If so, please share! I can't believe our labs are already two!

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

I think Steven has the wrong name

• golddust
    10 years ago

This is NOT my Grandog but they share the same coloring.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gold,
    I'm pretty sure that is a Restoration Hardware ad.

I have a Great Pyrenees, so I completely appreciate these stories! (And a little rescue Lab/?? mix, too.)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I loved it! I have one who sits in my lap, and they all sleep with me. My upholstered furniture is covered with sheets, towels, blankets... and they make themselves comfy wherever they want to. The only bad habit is that Riley is a digger. I had 3 cubic yards of loam delivered into the 'puppy pen' area to fill in his excavations, and it's all gone...

• golddust
    10 years ago

It could very well be a RH ad. It showed up randomly on my FaceBook page awhile back with no credit or information.

We have three dogs now. Lola, Jack and Isabelle. Isabelle, an English Bulldog, is Lola's polar opposite.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

At one time we had 3 Rottweilers- that's over 300 pounds of dogs. But they were truly gentle giants with sweet dispositions. The best part is that they're not an energetic breed- our previous dog was a German Shepherd who lived and breathed tennis balls and Frisbees. Our rotties would play ball or fetch for about 10 minutes then they'd be quite content to come inside and loll around for the rest of the day.

I love my dogs but they're not allowed on the furniture or upstairs. I tease my DH and tell him that I know he won't be sleeping alone if I leave this earth before him - because he'll immediately invite whatever dog we have at the time to sleep with him.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was just kidding around about the ad. Your photo reminded me of this.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH's deconstructed furniture.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Adorable pics. We've had several *relatively* large dogs with the largest being 120 pound sheep guardian dogs. Very calm laid back dogs except when chasing coyotes.

Never allowed any of the large dogs on the bed but when we had a 20 pound dog we had to replace our Queen bed with a King as she took up half the bed when she stretched out!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Kitchendetective, I didn't "get" that you were being facetious in your post about the RH ad, but I laughed myself silly when you called yourself out. That is REALLY funny!

• golddust
    10 years ago

kitchen called me out and I immedieatly folded. Then she fell on her sword. Neither of us knew. I laughed too. ( I love this neighborhood so very much.) it was funny.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Lady I worked with had a GD, and she'd let him out. When he wanted to come back in, he'd use his nose to ring the door bell. If they didn't open the door soon enough, he'd start ringing it nonstop until they did! DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks