Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

Baby Shower Brunch Ideas

no_green_thumb
10 years ago

If you have any, I would appreciate!!!
I am hosting a baby shower for my DIL. We don't know boy or girl - so very exciting!!
I had planned to do it in a restaurant, but my DIL had said how thrilled she was with her wedding shower, that I decided to have it in our home. I have the decor planned. We have a large sunroom that we empty and I rent round tables and chairs. I will rent dishes and glassware and such. I like everything to be the same.
I am stuck on the menu. It will be a brunch for about 25. I just keep reading recipe after recipe - and all sound the same.
I have found nothing for a fruit dish. In October in northern Ohio we are limited as far as fresh fruit. Everything I see uses way too much sugar.
I plan on several different muffins, tea breads, etc. and I think instead of a cake, I will have assorted finger pastries.
I know brunch is usually a very calorie-laden, fat-laden meal and am looking for a few healthier options.
If anyone has recipes they would like to share with me, I would appreciate it.
Maybe I am just WAY over-thinking this!!
Thank you.

Comments (10)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Is the time set in stone? if you bump it up to lunch rather than brunch, you have many salad type options.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I already sent out the invitations - thinking that if I could have just a few healthier choices in addition, that would be great!
    Although, most women I know don't typically eat traditional brunch-type food, so this might be a real treat!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Not sure what your budget is, but here we have Omelette Man who will set up and make made to order omelets as well as french toast, pancakes..it's pretty reasonable. You might have something similar in your area and there is one that I think is a chain.

Barring that....google "breakfast casseroles" and you will get an array of dishes. Or how about several different kinds of quiche? Does Costco have ready pre-cut fruit?

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

You could have a big bowl of strawberries or melon balls with no dressing. Either one would be fresh and low calorie and easy to prep the day before.

• deniseandspike
    10 years ago

How about some type of baked apple--apples are almost always available. These apple dumplings from the catalog look wonderful. Or any other type of baked dumpling where you could use frozen fruits. The frozen fruits as great as long as they are cooked somehow.

I saw a recipe where it looked like someone rolled a peeled banana in Greek yogurt and then rolled in granola--there was probably more to it but I don't recall where I saw the recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Dumplings

• vickij
    10 years ago

I did a wedding shower brunch and served homemade quiche, fruit salad and mini muffins. My quiche recipe is so simple and very good. I made both vegetarian and meat varieties. Also served mimosas.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

You can make a good fruit salad with fresh pineapple, kiwi, unpeeled red delicious apples, segmented oranges, blueberries and strawberries. You can even use frozen strawberries that are just barely thawed. Add just a little OJ right before serving. And you don't have to have all of these different fruits, just whatever is available. I would do a quiche or a breakfast casserole that can be made ahead to go with the salad and muffins/pastries.

If you go to the cooking forum, there is a current thread on brunches. Also many ideas for both casseroles and quiches on the cooking and also on the recipe exchange forum. Just do a search.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Love stewed apples, with or without raisins, and they can be eaten alone, or served on pancakes or French toast. There are lots of recipes on line for French toast casseroles that go in the oven...look for recipes from B&Bs. They have breakfast casseroles that include veggies for a healthier option.

Here is a link that might be useful: B&b recipes

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all who responded.
    I have hosted many parties - and always tend to overthink. As I thought about brunches I have attended, I just want to have a few choices with somewhat redeeming qualities.
    The Olmelette Man would be awesome - but not located here.
    I will do some fresh fruit with what is available. Local apples should be in. I can get pineapple, kiwi, perhaps grapes. The pineapple would keep the apples from turning.
    I did find some recipes for frozen bananas dipped in yogurt, then granola. I am thinking of doing them in slices instead of on a stick.
    I am thinking of quiche as I can make it ahead of time, then just bring it to room temperature or pop in the oven for a few. Vicki - if you have your recipes handy and would care to share, I would appreciate it. I know there are thousands out there!!
    Muffins, breads, perhaps a french toast casserole - I did get a recipe from the cooking forum.
    I tend to like fewer choices rather than twenty different things on the table, so for example, I wouldn't do an egg casserole if I have quiche.
    I do think women enjoy things they don't usually have at home, i.e. quiche. I had done quiche for a shower years ago. I bought it, then baked it that day. Now I know I can bake it the day before, then just bring it to room temperature. I try to also be careful of what needs to go in the oven.
    Thanks again!!

• User
    10 years ago

How about a buffet of bagels, smoked salmon, and fruit? I hate those breakfast casseroles, personally, and never touch them. If you're doing quiche, a spinach or escarole and tomato is a good meat alternative.