Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieschrader

Who's buying an iPhone 6?

Jules
9 years ago

And will it be a 6 or 6 plus?

I didn't repurchase but will be buying one. I'm still on the fence about which model to buy.

Comments (31)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Meeeeeeee! I am getting the 6+ and am excited about it!

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*prepurchase I meant to say

Why did you opt for the larger screen, kswl?

• amj0517
    9 years ago

I'm getting one too. With the verizon trade in offer it can be a free phone. I haven't decided on 6 or 6+ yet. The 6 is larger than my 4s, so that will be an improvement. I just don't want to regret not getting the plus. I usually carry my phone in my back jeans pocket so I'm afraid the plus will be too big.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I just got the 5s last Thanksgiving! Though the larger screen is tempting (I've gotta try bifocals again)...DS got the 5c for Xmas, DH got 5s just this Father's Day, so I can't upgrade yet. No way DD is going to get 5c or 5s handmedown for her 11th birthday.

My mom will probably upgrade though - I can't keep track of how often she upgrades her phone, and she only has a 5c right now.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I am getting the larger one because I already carry an iPad mini wherever I go. This will consolidate the phone and mini.

We had a group discussion about this at dinner Sunday and people who wanted to stay with the "phone" size said they use just one hand to hold and dial their phones. I must have small hands or be uncoordinated because I cannot dial with the same hand holding the phone, my fingers don't stretch that far. Since I am already holding my phone with two hands anyway, I may as well get the larger size.

I believe that lots of people are going to get the phone and wish later they'd gotten the plus. Women, that is. Men still have to figure out how to carry a larger item in their pockets. I also predict a change in men's tailoring of trousers for larger pockets to accommodate these devices.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I believe the 6+ is the same size as my galaxy note 2. I can carry it in my back pocket but I certainly feel it and it's not comfortable.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I probably won't unless Verizon will let me trade my nearly-new 5s for it without a penalty. I don't know if I'd get the 6+ or not. I have the ipad mini and I really don't see the need for a bigger piece of electronics in my small purse. I know DH wouldn't go for it. I don't think they upped the resolution on the camera, which is kinda sad as I don't think the iphone takes very good pics.

Regarding men's clothing and phones...there is a local guy who was profiled on the local news who is launching a start-up called 'Bond Clothing Company'. He is having tech friendly shirts made that accommodate larger phones and ear buds in a hidden pocket-behind-the chest on men's shirts. He's using Kickstarter to market it, and is hoping to help people in India by doing his manufacturing there. I don't know about that but I'm guessing it's much cheaper. The shirts actually looked pretty good.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, all. I'm leaning toward the bigger display, but I guess I'll hold both phones up in my hand and decide. I'm so confused.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Not me - no interest in a phablet. In fact I just bought a 5s so I can continue to have a small, compact iphone that fits comfortably in my pocket. Needed the one with large storage space and they discontinue those when the new models come out.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

My 5 is not even a year and half old, and the battery is losing life already. If I can trade it in, I'm going to do that.

BTW,I think you have to do this by September 30.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

gsciencechick, there is a "recall" of sorts on iPhone 5 batteries. Check your phone's serial number at the link below, you might be eligible for a free replacement battery (took me ~1 hour at the Apple Store, not counting waiting to see a "Genius").

I'll wait until next year for the 6. My dad, the auto mechanic, said to never buy mechanical or electronic equipment (including cars) the year it is introduced. I didn't listen to him when I bought the 5, but I was still on a 3, and I couldn't stand it any longer. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: iPhone 5 Battery Support

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Diane, that's why I told my husband to hold off but I know the mania will soon overcome him and he'll get the 6.

When the iPad came out, I wanted one but had no plans on getting one beccause it wasnt in my budget. My MIL surprised me by giving me one at Christmas...I think I was enjoying my shiny new toy for about two weeks before apple started to send me emails about the release of the iPad 2- and how it was so fabulous with all the improved features. Seriously, was I to believe the people at apple couldnt figure out how to include a camera with the original ipad? I still have my original iPad but can't use it for much- Cant upgrade the software and many apps aren't useable on the older iOS. I'm not an apple fan, but do love my gigantic phone, except for the pocket thing. I can't imagine a guy being happy with the 6+. My Note is always in my purse.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by coll_123 on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 17:33

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I'm sure I will at the end of the year when my contract is up. Still deciding on big or bigger.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I can't decide. While I love my iphone (4s), I kind of hate the way Apple is constantly upgrading. I've even considered going to an android. But again, I do love my iphone and I do use many of it's features, plus apps. I didn't upgrade to a 5 and I am not one to upgrade the operating system every time, but it may be time to upgrade. I also hate having a contract (which I don't right now), but I know we will always have a cell phone so I guess I should just suck it up. LOL

I definitely do not want the larger 6+. In fact, I really don't want to go larger at all, but I guess if I upgrade I will have to. . .

Anyhoo, I'm not getting one right away. I'm going to think on it a bit more and make a decision. Hubby has an iphone also but his is fairly new (he dropped the one before that in a glass of tea and had to replace!), so he won't be upgrading.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

There were 70 people camping out on the sidewalk in front of the Apple store near me today to get the iphone. Crazy. There were a couple of older Chinese women and I learned that they send them to their families in China. Interesting.

I have a five year old flip phone. I pay $15 a month for service. Works for me.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Those who get one, please review your iphone 6 for the rest of us!
    I need a new phone.
    I still like my iphone 4, but the battery won't make it much longer.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Diane, thanks for the link. My phone is apparently not one of the ones affected.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I'll wait until the mania shakes out and then decide. IOS8 seems problematic, too.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

My smart phone is 4 1/2 years old and I'm definitely going to upgrade to something.....I just haven't decided yet. I'll stop at Verizon to see what appeals to me.
    Even though DH has Apple stock we both avoid their products. I just don't think they they value the consumer much. I could write a long missive on all the difficulties my adult kids have had with their Apple everything.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I had an iPhone 4 because my phone before that got wet ruining the screen. I didn't want a smart phone, but was forced to get one because I wasn't going to pay $269.00 for a refurbished phone like the one I had. When I heard they were giving the i4's (new, not refurbished) for free ($30.00 early upgrade free) and if we changed to a family plan our service would only go up $3.00 a month I went with it.
    I was surprised how much I liked it. Well until at 16 months old it started shutting down on it's own. Verizon is not allow by Apple to do more than tell you how to reset it. That didn't keep it from shutting down, but it gave me time to update to the latest version, so Apple would look at it. They won't if you don't have the latest version.
    Well they looked at it and said they had no clue what was wrong, but I could send it in to get fixed. IF it was fixable, it would cost at least $150.00! Yeah, when I could upgrade in six months (verizon lets you upgrade two months early). No thanks. So I wound up going through and emailing myself thousands of photos to make sure I had them, as it would no longer let me load photos via the cable to my computer. I had hoped I could get another six months out of it before it completely died, but I barely got the transfers done before I completely died on me.
    I used my son's old Motorola Droid until I could get to Verizon and get a new phone. I had to go with their new leasing system, but I got a Samsung Galaxy s5 and Love it! It's fairly big (a tad smaller their Note 3) and, if I wanted to, I could dial with my thumb while holding it with the same hand. With my eyesight, I was so happy to have a larger screen so I could see photos better.
    I will NEVER get an Apple product again. They don't play well with others.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 21:23

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

My kids kept encouraging me to switch from my droid smartphones to an iPhone but could never give me a good reason why. We'd be out together and when we'd use maps or Google search engine, my phones always found the needed info quicker than their iPhones. I did consider an iPhone because I have a couple of other Apple products and thought it might be a good idea to be consistent with my products. I've made multiple trips to the Verizon stores over the past couple of years asking the young salespeople about iPhones, hoping to be convinced, but only found two who have them. I was due for an upgrade this month and again asked about the iPhone (Me: "Are you excited about the new iPhone?" Them: "NO! They're just now catching up to droids, don't know what the big deal is.". All but two salespeople have had some version of this answer or worse. It almost makes me wonder whether their commission structure is slanted against Apple, But when I ask what phone they have, I've only met two who have iPhones (one said he's just an Apple fan, no particular reason why, and the other had one of each, iPhone and a droid). Anyway, I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy S5 and though it's only been 12 days, am very happy with it. No real difference between it and the previous droids I had except for a couple of added features; they've all been great. Nothing against Apple, I just don't think it's the only game in town.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to know, funnygirl. You mentioned you have other Apple products; what are they? Wondering if you have an iPad and how well it synchs with your Galaxy.

I haven't tested a Galaxy nor other droids but someone did show me the predictive text function (swiping), and I loved it.

Haven't had a chance to get to the Verizon store today, so I'm guessing our local supply of iPhones will be gone.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

Like funnygirl I've always had Android phones, and I think it's funny when people get so excited about "new" features on the iPhone that I already have on my Android. I also have an Android tablet, and love how everything syncs with my Google account.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Apple waiting so long to get on the bandwagon of larger phones reminds me of Kodak.
    Kodak invented the digital camera.
    Apple invented apps.
    Kodak did very little to manufacturer digital cameras instead sticking with film photography thinking it was the best, until they became hot by everyone else.
    Apple did something similar by not enlarging their phones to go with what the public wanted thinking they were so good they didn't need to change.

Apple almost went bankrupt before, but Steve Job's buddy Bill, made and deal and helped them out. You'd have thought they learned their lesson.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

See, I hear the word "sync" and I automatically go into convulsions. It involves this horrible program on my computer called " iTunes". I have saved pics on my iPad I would like to transfer to my computer. I have pictures om my comuter...like my decorative painting portfolio- I would like to transfer to a SEPARATE folder in the gallery on my iPad, so that when I meet clients, I can show them JUST my portfolio.. I have never managed to achieve this with the iPad and that horrible iTunes. Have tried many times....for whatever reason, only some of the files in the " portfolio" folder on my computer get transferred. With my android phone, I simply hook it up to my computer and drag and drop whatever I want to and from my computer....FULL manual control....no "syncing" nonsense!!! My next tablet will almost certainly be an android....candy crush stopped working long ago on this iPad so I'm not sure what I'm even waiting for at this point.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

JuJu, I have an iPad and a Macbook Air though I now only use the Air. As far as synching goes, I *think* everything synchs as it should. It was explained to me that the main advantage to an iPhone would be synching photos but Dropbox works very nicely.

It's been a long time since I used the swype feature; once voice recognition came along I never went back (however, I do like the keypad on the Galaxy a lot!).

I've also been enjoying the fitness feature on the Galaxy (it can give a pulse readout and tracks your steps but, of course, you have to be carrying the phone). Yesterday I purchased the Gear Fit wristband, similar to a Fitbit but with a few additional features (receives text and email messages, phone alerts...)

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with whichever smartphone you choose; they are all just stinking amazing! :>

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

coll_123, my hubby gave up his very expensive iPad and went to a Samsung Note Pro tablet (12.01") because his iPad did not play well with his computer or phone.
    He has a Samsung Note2 Phone and it syncs perfectly with his new tablet and his PC. We will never use Apple products again, because they don't play well with others.
    Hubby liked the Samsung tablet so much that our son went out and bought one. They do have smaller versions if you don't want to go large. Around here we like the larger models, though I my Samsung Tablet is just 7 inches, I'll more than likely get a larger one if I travel more. For now, it's all I need. I only use it in bed to check GW and fb so it's not worth upgrading now.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I had one of the original mac.com email accounts, that then became me.com and more recently icloud.com. The transition from mac.com to me.com was pretty buggy and I lost my trust in Apple when the "genius" proceeded to erase 6 months worth of my emails. Never liked iTunes or iPhoto. I joke that I never drank the Apple Kool-ade.

DH, on the other hand, just ordered his new iPhone6!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I have the iPhone 5 & just upgraded to IOS 8 on my iPad. I can't post pics on GW any longer. Very annoying-wish I would have waited til they had the bugs fixed.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Romy, really? Because of IOS 8? Good to know.

As for the phone, mine is pretty new so, no. But it is so odd ... we spent the weekend in the city and there were lines at the Apple stores, long lines. To a person, they were Asian! It was so bizarre. No one ELSE wanted a phone? I finally googled it and found out it is common to smuggle them back to China, where they are not yet released. Umm, aren't they made there? What a bizarre world we live in. But at least we "exporting" something to China!

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally visited the Verizon store today and ordered an iPhone 6, which will be delivered Thursday ... along with a bunch of other stuff I wasn't intending to buy because there were so many "specials" being offered. Hmpf. That seems to happen a lot when I upgrade!

I held the 6+ in my hand, and it was just too big for me. I also tried the androids and liked them but went with the iPhone simply bc of synching reasons.