Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

what to do with 2 gallons of 3% milk?

daisychain01
10 years ago

Yesterday, I ended up getting 2 gallons of milk for free (long story), but it is whole milk and we drink 1%. Anyone have any recipes that call for a whole whack of milk? I'll probably make a creme brule, but it would be great if I could use it in something I could freeze for later use.

TIA!

Comments (14)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Drink it, it's good for you. The extra fat in the milk helps slow the absorption of the sugar in the milk into the blood stream which is good for your blood sugar, and the fat will make you feel full longer so you'll eat less. Plus it tastes great.

You can try making home made ricotta cheese, so long as it's not ultra-pastureized.

Here is a link that might be useful: homemade ricotta cheese recipe

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

Make yogurt, make the whole milk ricotta ( it is usually made from whey) save the whey !! Use it in soups and make bread with it...just substitute it for water in any recipe. Also whey keeps for months in a jar in the fridge.

Freeze the milk in smaller containers to use later...it keeps just fine and you can pull it out and thaw and make the creme brulee whenever you want. Make rice pudding ! Lots and lots of uses for whole milk. Enjoy ! c

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie. I know it makes sense to drink it and I grew up drinking 4 glasses of whole milk a day, but now it tastes so heavy to me and my kids said it tasted "weird."

Your suggestion for ricotta reminded me I love the Indian cheese paneer, but never make it because it takes so much milk and we don't usually have whole milk. Looks like we are having a cheese making weekend. Thanks again!

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Xposting trailrunner. Thanks, those are all great ideas! Love rice pudding. I have some red rice I should use up. I wonder how that would taste in rice pudding?

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Paneer sounds wonderful! I'll take some LOL.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Homemade macaroni and cheese. My kids love this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Macaroni-and-Cheese-11625

We don't drink much milk - everyone in my family prefers water. I do keep milk on hand for cereal, but if it's not getting used quickly enough, then I use it up by making macaroni and cheese.

The woman who cuts my hair gave me this recipe for Hot Milk Cake - a very old recipe but I tried it at her house and it was a simple, yet good, cake. I haven't made it myself but hers was good. Recipe does not list frosting but she used a chocolate frosting.

Hot Milk Cake

1/4 lb butter
    1 C milk
    4 eggs
    2 C sugar
    2 C flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt

Heat the butter and milk to boiling and set aside. Cream the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, then mix in flour and salt.

Add the milk mixture. The hotter the milk, the lighter the cake.

Add baking powder last and do not beat too much, just mix in well. Pour into a greased and floured pan (I think it was a 9x13 pan). Bake at 360 (??-that's what recipe says) for 30-35 minutes. Test with toothpick to see if done.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I've bought whole milk for recipes and ended up with leftovers, which tastes too creamy to me. I mix it with non-fat and it tastes fine. I usually buy 1%.

• Sandy1963
    10 years ago

Maybe make a corn chowder, or clam chowder?

Some kind of soup that takes lots of milk, lol !

• wearybuilder
    10 years ago

make homemade ice cream!

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I've made a huge batch of rice pudding with red rice that was amazing, paneer (just turned out okay because I didn't have cheesecloth only flour sack), hot milk cake, lemon loaves, and I still have half a gallon left that will likely be turned into ice-cream by the neighbourhood kids later today.

I don't have an ice cream maker, but I recall making it in a plastic bag with half and half. I'll see if I can make it work iwth milk.

Thanks for all the ideas. There is a good chance I will have the same surplus next week, so I may have to get the neighbours involved.

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

rice pudding recipe??? glad it is working out so well. pictures ?? :)

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the recipe. I left out the half and half at the end - it was already very rich (and yummy!) I thought it would last us all week, but it is long gone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai red rice pudding

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

oh my...that sounds very yum ! Thank you for the link. c

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

If I had excess milk, I would use some in hot cereal. We usually make our steel cut oats or cream of wheat with half milk, half water. You could also use it to make pudding pops.