Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Brown to Silver to Yellow?

User
10 years ago

After decades of coloring my hair (gray first appeared at age 16) I decided in March to let it go natural. At my last haircut a couple of weeks ago, it looked like the last remnants of color would be gone at the next hair cut. Well, maybe not. I've been shampooing with a clarifying shampoo alternating every third time with Shimmer Lights to keep my newly silver hair vibrant. Now it appears what we thought was color is the dreaded yellowing silver hair can get (mostly in the front). I do use about a 1/4 teaspoon of rinse-out conditioner and a dab of Moroccan Oil to tame my natural frizzy hair. What else do I need to do to wash that yellow out of my hair?

Help, please...

Comments (13)

• User
    10 years ago

I have no cure ...........................but here's a ((HUG)) I hope someone can help. Will shimmering lights eventually wash out?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Shimmering Lights shouldn't cause the yellow. If anything, too much of it causes blue/purple hair. Yellow is an indication of product build up (oils) which the clarifying shampoo (Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3) should take care of. Thanks for the ((HUG)).

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I'm adding a link - I googled this. I do remember my mom using a blue rinse on my grandmother and my aunt (my grandmother's sister) and their beautiful white hair. My aunt had problems with her hair 'yellowing'. You'll have to scroll down a bit.

tina

Here is a link that might be useful: beautiful grey hair

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, tinam61, but I'm not sure what you wanted me to see in this article as it appears to re-state what I'm doing already.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I think you need Yayagal, I believe she was/is a hair stylist. If she doesn't check this thread, and you don't get any answers here, maybe give her a shout out in a thread directed to her.

Good luck. In the meantime, just tell people you swim for fitness and the pool is doing a number on your hair.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Java - I thought it mentioned the blue rinses, etc. Perhaps I linked the wrong article.

tina

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Okay - I'm intrigued now. Linking another article. Do you smoke? Swim? Use a hot appliance on your hair? (curling iron, etc.) Do you have a water filter?

I didn't read this whole article, just skimmed through. Not saying you have an illness causing this - the article talks about other causes also. Also mentions things a stylist can do. Maybe it's time to visit a professional for advice.

Let us know what you find out or if anything works - like i said, I'm intrigued!!

tina

Here is a link that might be useful: more on grey hair

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

It looks like it could be the Moroccan oil from what I found googling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moroccan oil yellowing hair

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let's see...I swim rarely almost never get my hair wet in a pool. Neither I nor my friends smoke. No water filter. No rash.

I did get my hair product advice from my stylist, who also uses Moroccan oil on my hair. It seems the yellow has increased since my last haircut, so I'm thinking it might be my water. I'm going to try not using the oil, though, and see if that helps.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

I have lovely salt and pepper hair (or so people tell me! ;-) ) and use the shimmer lights shampoo. People do comment on my hair and my hairdresser always comments that you can tell that I use it.

I use the shimmering lights everyday and my hair hasn't turned purple yet!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Hi Java, do you have a Sally beauty supply near you? If so, get SHINY SILVER SHAMPOO AND GET THE CONDITIONER TOO. It will actually make blonde hair look silver, I know. Follow the directions, leave the suds on for 3 to 5 minutes (we left them on five for shampoo and five for conditioner) and POOF, no yellow. Shimmer lights is good but not quite as good. When you used it, did you leave it on like the above directions, if not, try what you have with the new formula and then check in.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yayagal - I do have a Sally Beauty Supply and will check there tomorrow. Should I use that shampoo/conditioner every time I shampoo? Do you recommend laying off of the Moroccan Oil? Thank you for the advice.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Try not using the Moroccan oil for a bit and get your pretty hair back, then, if you feel you need the oil, use it very sparingly. There are so many good product for frizzy hair that cost way less than Moroccan oil. Check them out when you're at Sally's.