Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edeevee

X Posted: Mrs. Lovett's Meat (and meatless) Pies

edeevee
9 years ago

I've also posted in the Cooking Forum but you guys are so savvy, so ...

I host a Halloween party every year with a friend. It's kind of a mobile scavenger hunt with a theme -- that ends up at the party location, where we provide food. We always have wienies for roasting, but indoors we like to present hearty appetizers and desserts too, along with at least one or two selections that represent the theme.

The party is always challenging because: 1) it's in a remote location that has a refrigerator and sink but little else in the way of a kitchen. Hot foods must be kept in crockpots and a roaster for up to 6 hours. 2) I do the final set up myself while the other hostess is managing the hunt. I'll have about an hour to do it. 3) Costs are kept at a minimum because the party is also a small fundraiser for a favorite local charity. 4) We never know how many guests will show up. It's usually between 20-40.

This year presents some extra challenges: 1) There are always a handful of vegetarians but now one of them has gone strict vegan. He'll pre-eat if I ask him to but I'd rather not. 2) It's at the end of a super busy week in which I'm working, my mom will be visiting our new home for the first time (must clean!), our sunporch renovation will be finishing up and we'll be responsible for the painting, my BFF is having a quite serious surgery 100 miles away, just 2 days before the event and I've promised to be there for her, and our theme this year is A Fright at the Opera, so the food should look a little more elegant than usual while still satisfying some not too adventurous eaters.

One thing I know I want to serve is some kind of mini meat pie to represent Sweeney Todd (and yes, I know it's not technically an opera). Something empanada, samosa, pierogi, or quiche-like that I can make ahead and keep warm. It would be great if I could figure out a meat, meatless, and vegan version of the same thing.

One thought I had was to do up a bunch of mini fillo, wonton or tortilla cups ahead of time and fill them at the last minute. Would store bought hummus or bean dip work in any of those?

Any other ideas for the pies? Or any other suggestions for good, fast, easy, cheap, elegant party food? Bonus points if you can tie it to the opera theme?

Not asking much, am I?

Comments (16)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Trying to keep a dough-based food warm and in edible condition sounds difficult to pull off. How about a Madam Butterfly theme with sort of asian rolls served cold? You could do lettuce rolls.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Yes, keeping pies/empanadas warm will be difficult.

For the vegans/vegetarians....how about a penne pasta with a simple yet tasty marinara sauce? This could be kept hot in a crockpot. Add salad with oil/vinaigrette dressing and rolls (no whey) and you are good to go, really for everyone not just the vegans/vegetarians.

Or, you could do a meatless chili and corn bread (google vegan corn bread recipes)...again , easy for the crockpot, and suitable for vegans/vegetarians.

Keep it simple with one big crockpot meal that will suit everyone.

My son is vegan and I always keep hummus and tortilla chips on hand for him.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

If you want to keep some sort of pastry crisp and hot, I would recommend the linked portable drawer. I don't have a warming drawer in my house and I only have only one oven, so for holidays, I needed a way to keep things hot. I purchased one of the linked items, although not from that vendor, four years ago. I love the thing. I know it's expensive, but it stores in very little space and it has a cord for a vehicle, too, so you can use it for tailgating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portable Warming Drawer

• bpath
    9 years ago

Just have to say what a great theme, but I think I'll pass on the meat pies lol! And add angel hair pasta from the Barber of Seville to go with them. Did you know Rossini was quite the cook? You can toss it with a little olive oil, basil, and diced tomatoes, and for non-vegans add crumbled feta.

Do some buffalo "bat" wings for Der Fledermaus.

Honestly, perhaps this is the year you manage the hunt and your friend tends to the food?

• suero
    9 years ago

Lots of operas have a mad scene, so have lots of nuts on hand.

• bpath
    9 years ago

And, why doesn't Sweeny Todd qualify as an opera? It has masked and mistaken identities, thwarted young love, intrigue, blood, character theme music, dead bodies, what else does it need?

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys! These ideas are fabulous! I'm going to talk to my co-hostess in the next day or two to decide what we want to do.

I'm leaning toward the penne with a selection of add-ins, the salad and nuts (lol, suero), although I love the lettuce rolls, the bat wings and the angel hair pasta too.

Hmmm, maybe we could do it all but change the Asian rolls to caesar salad boats? And serve pies for dessert?

bpat, you are talking about serving the angel hair cold, am I right? And as for Sweeney Todd -- it meets all of my opera requirements, especially when it includes the handsome Mr. Depp ;)

Oh, and Fun2B? That warming drawer is going on my wish list. Nice.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Baba of Seville?

Magic claflutis?

Porky and Bess?

Boris Gouda-nov

Salomi?

Turan dough?

Tosca'd salad?

Paggliachhese?

The Marriage of Figaroll?

Julius Caesar salad?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I've used the Bertolli 3 cheese tortellini to make a salad a bit more substantial and served as a main course. Chunks of a good mozzarella, red pepper, lots of onion, garlic, plum tomatoes, cucumbers, and any other veggie you choose to add. Top with a vinegar, olive oil, and freshly ground blsck pepper dressing. As a second dish, raw broccoli and cauliflower in a vinegarette dressing is also quite tasty, and a complete vegetarian dish. Serve a side plate of salami for those who prefer a bit of meat. Thin slices of Italian bread spread with a bit of pesto and baked is good hot or cold. Plain bread with a dipping sauce is very easy also. I make my dipping sauce with a good VVO, balsamic vinegar, and toasted garlic. Easy and delicious.

Annie, all very catchy titles!!

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie: These are a riot! Our scavenger hunt already features Turandot and Pagliacci. Got anything for La Traviata, Madame Butterfly, Wagners' Ring, Carmen or La Boheme?

patty: Love these ideas. I've never had black pepper dressing. Do you have a recipe?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Mrs Wagner's Pies

Romeo and Julienned Carrots

Madame Butterflied chicken

Haricot Verdi

Pavarottini

Cosi fan tutti frutti

Puccini mushrooms

Bravioli

Comedia Dell'artechokes

Crescendonuts

Maestromboli

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hahahaha! Are you available for the entertainment portion of our party? These are great!

• bpath
    9 years ago

No, you can't do anything from the Ring, unless you plan on the guests staying all weekend.

Annie! You're killin' me!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

If you make something with hominy/posole it could be La Bo-hominy.

I have made enchiladas with pumpkin, hominy and soyrizo and chopped greens with a red enchilada sauce. You could do this as an enchilada casserole (layering the corn tortillas flat) in a crockpot. Very flavorful and vegan

• suero
    9 years ago

Anna Bologna
    Ariadne auf Nachos
    The Bartered Brie
    Brandenburgers in Bohemia (a real opera) with Fleigende Hollandaise

to drink, Das Rheingold

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True, bpat. True.

tishto, If only I liked hominy, bohemian or otherwise, lol. I DO like the sound of that recipe though!

suero, I need to have more than one party so I can serve all of these. Brava!