Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Longmire cancelled...too old!

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

A&E is not renewing Longmire for a 4th season...it is excellent TV, it is their 2nd highest rated show (behind Duck Dynasty!?!) but they are canceling it. Why? Because the audience demographic is too old! How ridiculous is that! Just because us baby boomers are aging, doesn't mean we aren't a market force to be dealt with including the amount of money we have to spend. This is ridiculous.

Let's hope that netflix or someone else picks up this quality program and keeps it going. And that A&E rues the day they made this idiotic decision...

Here is a link that might be useful: Long live Longmire

Comments (14)

• awm03
    9 years ago

So stupid. And just whom are A&E trying to attract as viewers? The younger demographic doesn't watch TV. They're all glued to Twitch watching competitive video gaming on the internet.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I have never heard of this show, but I agree about how networks cater to a young demographic. Heck, I watched very little TV in my 20's...always out having fun with friends and I suspect that has not changed. It's us "oldies" who are probably watching more TV than anyone...slowing down, retiring, etc. I guess it has more to do with who is buying the products advertised.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

It is a shame, but I guess they did their market research. It all boils down to profit.

• deegw
    9 years ago

joanie has it right. It's not because the viewers are old, it is because older viewers are more frugal. The shows that cater to older viewers have a harder time selling advertising. If they can't sell advertising, it doesn't make financial sense to continue the show.

I was watching Jerry Seinfeld the other night and he mentioned that his show had poor viewership for four years. Fortunately for him, the viewers they had were the top spending demographic so NBC let them continue the show.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have to laugh at advertisers who think that any demographic with a medium to high level of discretionary income is watching their ads on anything except live sporting events because everything else gets DVR'ed and commercials are FF'ed through when watching at a later time. Many of my young friends in the target demographic don't even bother with commercial television at all. They watch sports at sports bars and stream other shows through iTunes or some other portal.

One of my neighbors was picked to be a Nielsen family. They are older and leave their television on all the time, mostly tuned to one of the financial reporting channels. During their survey time, they had to push a button every so often to prove that they were actually watching the channel which they did religiously as they walked through the room on their way to do something else.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Fun2BHere - I think you have struck the nail on the head. I can't remember the last time I saw an advertisement. The advertisers got so greedy that they made themselves irrelevant. Whoever is paying advertisers are wasting their money really.

We were enjoying Longmire too. Although the storyline was getting a little too convoluted recently. [g] I enjoyed many of the characters and the setting.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

You are your pocketbook. Period.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

All the shows I watch have commercials for Life Alert type thingys, walk in baths, senior care, incontinence, Our Time, etc. :-)

I am not frugal but I do resent advertisers who disregard me because I am over 40. Perhaps others my age with discretionary funds feel the same way and hence do not spend as much as we would if we were not discounted (no pun intended).

• blfenton
    9 years ago

oh no. I have the last season of longmire pvr'ed. I will enjoy every minute of it.

adding: I think part of the problem is that yes, I have money to spend, but I'm not up to switching brands of products. I'`m buying the same cereal, same toilet paper, the same shampoo, etc that I have bought for years. I, and my friends, are spending our money on travelling, house renos, going to plays, out for dinner, coffee, etc. We're not spending our money on products that are typically advertised.

This post was edited by blfenton on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 12:04

• deegw
    9 years ago

marlene, perhaps frugal was the wrong word for me to use. I did not intend to imply that older viewers are cheap, just that older viewers spend their money in ways that don't benefit advertisers.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

deee, oh I didn't mean to sound like I was reacting negatively toward the word "frugal". I don't think it implies one being cheap.....just more cautious perhaps.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

marlene, you and I must watch the same channels...help me I've fallen, transvaginal mesh and bladder sling, copper socks, "a place for Mom"...amazing stuff!

Part of the problem is, there are now so many channels with so much stuff on, it's almost impossible to keep track of what's worth watching. So I'm sure there are many who would enjoy Longmire, if they knew where to find it.

Some are hoping that amazon or netflix will pick it up...there they don't care about demographics, just eyeballs, so it might be a better fit for them. I don't do netflix now, but certainly would if they offered Longmire...

• springroz
    9 years ago

Honestly, it is no longer worth paying for TV. All of the channels I used to watch sometimes(I don't have a lot of TV time....) have gone to stupid, repetitive programs! They sound like they are all written by one person. I have 4 PBS stations on free tv, and re-runs on them are better! I only get our local ABC affiliate, CW, and fox with the pbs, but I pay EXTRA on the satellite for the "locals", which are from NYC...

• teacats
    9 years ago

Exactly the same reaction to "old" commercials here -- especially during the evening news .....

Insulting -- but I still want to watch the national news and the local news ....