Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Suggestions for Vacation in Charleston SC?

User
11 years ago

I will be vacationing in Charleston, SC at the end of April next year with 9 friends, staying in a rental home in Isle of Palms. Besides golfing and garden/plantation tours, does anyone have any must see/do activities to suggest? TIA!

Comments (9)

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I woudl suggest first off visiting the visitors center. There is great info there. Most of the tour companies have info there and many pick up in that area. My favorite is a habor tour, so I would strongly recommend that. The city is great - check out the market area and shopping nearby. Check out Sullivan's Island, you will have to cross through there when coming/going to IOP. We have been to almost all the islands in that area and enjoy driving to nearby locations (SUmmerville is one suggestion). We are antiquers, so we have fav shops we like to visit in these areas. You are within about 2 hours of Savannah, GA and it's a nice drive down the coast. You might like to do that one day. It's a wonderful city/area - I know you'll have a great time!

tina

• dawnp
    11 years ago

I love Charleston and the Isle of Palms!

April is a perfect time to be in Charleston.

Here is a previous discussion on the subject - link posted below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleston

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Do you need to have a car to get around or is there good public transportation?

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

If you are staying out on Isle of Palms, you will definitely need a car to come into the city.

Last time I was there I did a walking tour of gardens, really awesome.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Thanks. I'd love to visit some day.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK -- garden and plantation tours and EATING. I can do that! Looking at ecotours and shelling, too. We'll have several cars (driving from SE VA), so transportation is no problem. We'll be going to Savannah, too. And golfing...

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Some members of from the Gardenweb Cooking Forum rented a condo for a week on the ocean side on Isle of Palms. We, the Beach Bound Buddies, had a great time obviously. We did a plantation tour that was very informative; we took a cooking class downtown (but we could have taught it); day trip to Savannah; historic buggy tour of old town; walked down the balustrade to see all the beautiful homes; aquarium.

While we did enjoy cooking for each other, we did eat 1 breakfast a 1 lunch at Charleston's Cafe, 1039 Johnnie Dodds Blvd; Mount Pleasant, it was good!

Lots to do, great restaurants and market shopping downtown.

Enjoy!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Your trip sounds incredible, Javachik! Woo-hoo! Have a great time (and tell us all about it when you return!).

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mustangs -- We, too, enjoy our own culinary achievements, especially amuse bouches, tapas, hors d'oeuvres...it can take hours to get to an entree -- thus a house rather than hotel! Thanks for the resuarant recommendations.

S-G: It's all still in planning. We're headed to Brevard, NC week after next as a group.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions