Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Paypal - reached limit/unable to add card

Sheeisback_GW
9 years ago

I bought something off ebay. I use my credit card with paypal. Decided I wanted to use my debit. I can't add the card and it's telling me I've reached my "limit" until I "add my bank account." Well, I don't want to "add my bank account". Looks like I can't make any purchases with any cards until I do. Have you had problems with this? Searching on their site wasn't helpful. It used to be very user friendly. Now I wish I would've never created the account. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Some people mentioned creating a dummy account for Paypal, but I really don't want to have to take the time to open a new account for that. I really have better things to do. Looks like I get to call them tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm not the only one

Comments (9)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I haven't had that problem yet, but look at it this way. Everytime you write a check anyone can see the information about your checking account. Your account and routing numbers are on your check. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Have you always used it as a credit card? My bank won't let me use my debit/credit as a debit when buying something. Although credit works the same as a debit and do have ATM, but never use it.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

There was a time when you had to link a bank account to Paypal to be 'verified', whatever that means.

I did so years ago. But I set up my Paypal to always use my credit card as the first option when paying.

I have never had a problem. I use Paypal often.

ML

• gail618
    9 years ago

I had the same problem a few years ago. No way did I want them to use my bank account -- I like to charge everything to get airline miles! I had recently opened up a new email address and the guy finally told me that if I just closed my account and used that new address on a new account that would work. I know you don't want to do that, but it's not that difficult.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received an email back from Paypal this morning that wasn't helpful at all. I just got off the phone with them and the guy said there is nothing wrong with my account and it's a problem on their end. I'm not the only one having this happen. The problem has "escalated and they're working seriously to correct it." We'll see.

I'm not linking my actual checking account to Paypal. They don't need it as far as I'm concerned.

Back when it was easy to get around their site I also had my debit card listed. Deleted it at one point because I liked the idea of having only one card listed in my account and figured I could go back and add it later if need be. The guy on the phone told me I can't add a new card also because of the current issue.

Just to be clear, I can't even make a payment with my card on file for Paypal at this time.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 10:26

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

When I logged into Paypal to check on a credit, I saw some message similar to what you are saying, but I ignored it because my account has been working perfectly. I purchased an item this morning from eBay using Paypal. I hope they get the problem resolved soon, for your sake.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I called Paypal back again and the lady assured me I would have no problems making the purchase. They're still saying they're having an issue with the notification. She said the verification thing is for sellers. She also did something special on her end and said I can add my other card in 30 min. Hopefully mine went through.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I love paypal and use it often. I was told by our credit union that it was one of the most secure methods of payment.

HOWEVER, I would NEVER link my bank account or my debit card. I just don't want those things out on the web. If you wrote a check somewhere and someone got your account number, hopefully they would have a hard time using it because they would not have id. We write almost zero checks anyway.

I have one credit card that is linked to my paypal account and only used for on-line purchases.It has a lower limit than our main cc we use.

Some stores are now accepting paypal! We've never had any problem using it and have never been required to add a bank account.

tina

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I, too, would be leery of linking bank account or debit cards. I don't believe you have the same legal protections from fraud that you do with a credit card. If someone wipes out your bank account by hacking that info, you may not get it back.