Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Ritual Ceremony for Healing Retreat?

Olychick
10 years ago

I'm on a planning committee for a women's healing retreat. We are a group of women who have suffered a life changing loss (that was not a death) and we would like to have some kind of closing ritual on our last day. This is a group with diverse religious and values backgrounds and beliefs, around a dozen of us.

In the past, the group (not all the same women) has done some familiar things as their closing ritual, such as lighting candles, stones in the lake or river to signify letting the pain go...same with a bonfire where words were written and burned.

I'm looking for something different for this retreat's closing ceremony and am at a loss. We will have access to the outdoors, but no fire or water, weather will be ?? Midwest in mid Oct. And it doesn't have to be an outdoor activity. Does anyone have any ideas they'd be willing to share?

Comments (16)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Releasing balloons with your sorrows (symbolic) inside.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Please don't release balloons...I have seen too many destroying the look of pristine areas with unreachable mylar stuck in trees for years.

Can you gather colored leaves at the beginning of the retreat and then go outside and crunch and crumble them and let them go at the end?

Have everyone bring an item of clothing which they can shed at the end to be donated so it can transform and become something for good.

Do something with candles: have each person blow out a candle in turn, or stand in a circle with a single candle in the middle which everyone blows out at once.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Have a moment of silence in a circle with everyone holding hands. It starts with one person, when they are done with their silent thought, they squeeze the hand of the person to the right. The person getting the squeeze nods so that everyone in the circle knows what person is up next.
    I am wondering if you would want to add a positive spin and share with the group something positive that has
    happened this past year, no matter how small?

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I've always thought of music as being the ultimate in helping one to heal! The feeling soothing sounds can give the body, mind, and spirit seem to lift all outside influence away, allowing new energy in to heal.

While my thought would be music used for meditating, here's a CD especially for healing ceremonies.

Here is a link that might be useful: music

• roobear
    10 years ago

Not really a ritual, but what about teaching them EFT (Emotion Freedom Technique)? It's a healing technique related to acupuncture (no needles though). It's not difficult to learn, or take long to do. It can be used for emotional or physical issues, stress, pain, weight loss etc. Anyone can learn to use the technique on themselves and or others. When they leave, they would have a healing skill/tool to try/use as wanted/needed on any future type of issue.

Below is free info on EFT, tutorials on how to do it etc. from successful EFT practitioners Gene Monterastelli, and Robert Smith, and the founder of EFT, Gary Craig.

Gene Monterastelli
    EFT practitioner Gene Monterastelli's website, how to do EFT tutorials

EFT practitioner Gene Monterastelli's website with free EFT articles, tutorials, tap along audios and videos etc.

Robert Smith
    EFT practitioner Robert Smith's Faster EFT method video tutorial

EFT Practitioner Robert Smith's Youtube channel with over 600 free Faster EFT videos

Gary Craig, Founder of EFT
    Gary Craig EFT intro video

Gary Craig's EFT Tutorial

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I like ellendi's idea to end on a positive note with a gesture of hope or gratefulness.

Maybe it's too simplistic but what about blowing bubbles? Breathing is so important, to life naturally, but also for stress relief and reduction. You can't blow bubbles if you're holding your breath with anxiety and fear.

To make the bubble idea less childlike, you can google how to make giant bubbles. Those are beautiful.

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are all great ideas! Thank you all. Yayagal, I love the symbolism of releasing balloons and I did look into environmentally friendly/biodegradable balloons (they do make them) but to lessen the visual impact until they do (about 3 months) we could use earthy colors, but a brown balloon just seems wrong! And in order to fly up and away, they have to be helium, which is not available or green...Hhireno, I like the idea of bubbles, just because they are so fun!

And I never would have thought of the leaves, Annie, but I kind of like that image. Plus, it would leave no footprint. And the clothing one is intriguing, I'll give it some thought, too.

Thank you, Pattycakes, for the music idea, too. I think we would want women's voices, or instrumental, but I'll explore that as an option. I do love the music you linked.

Ellendi, those are all great ideas and could easily be integrated, either at the close, or some other time during the retreat.

Roobear, I'd never heard of EFT. Even if we don't try it as a group, I'm going to pass on info about the technique to our members. I think they will really appreciate and maybe benefit from that info.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I like the idea of expressing gratitude as it forces you to be in the now, and it really ends on a positive note...maybe have a ritual that combines releasing something undesirable and gathering in something to be thankful for...

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like that idea, too, Annie and I think the group will, too.

• satine_gw
    10 years ago

I would love to know more about the group and how it works. I have been in search of a retreat off and on for several years and have not yet found anything similar to what you describe. I agree that your closing ceremony be positive and uplifting. Maybe each participant can write something special she learned while at the retreat that might help her reach the peace she is searching for.
    Satine

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Satine, we are an online support group of women with a common trauma in our lives. We just organize our own retreats once in a while, someone different takes the lead and gets the ball rolling, then others step up and help organize it. Since we have no true "organization" it sometimes is a bit daunting to get it to come together.

A few years ago we held a retreat at the Franciscan Renewal Center in Phoenix. I believe they have them in other places around the country. Our group does not have a Christian or religious or even a common spiritual component and while I didn't attend that retreat, I heard the Franciscan center was a very healing place and it was possible to be there without participating in any religious activities. So check out their calendar, maybe something will catch your eye. You can also google Women's Healing Retreats and you will get lots of hits and maybe something that would work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Franciscan Renewal Center

• satine_gw
    10 years ago

Olychick, thanks for the info. I will continue looking for something in my area of the country. I hope your retreat is a successful one.
    Satine

• merrygardener
    10 years ago

Oly,
    This probably sounds high on the "woo woo" scale, but I have a friend who has taken several courses in ... Um, I don't know exactly what it's called, but it relates to "space/room clearing" to increase positive energy.

When she shared bits and pieces from the class, I (and she) was surprised to hear about the conventional backgrounds of the participants (a recently retired family physician, teachers, Ph. D folks, etc...) and how it didn't sound so wacko as I listened! Let me know if you'd like specific info.

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Merrygardener, I'd be interested to hear, but realistically won't probably have the time or psychic energy before I leave to learn enough about it to feel confident in the outcome. I do appreciate the idea though. I think we will be very "positive" about simply being together, so I'm hoping that's enough for keeping the space good and positive for us all.

Thank you!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Buy a long stem rose for everyone and hand them out, one each on the last day. Have everyone break off the thorns, one by one and cast them away, but keep the beautiful flower and it's fragrance.

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another good idea Annie...but I think they are dethorned nowadays...and I'm allergic to roses, so don't think this is the one for me. But thanks for continuing to think of ideas.