Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

DIYing a bohemeian wedding on a budget

neetsiepie
10 years ago

So we're down to less than 9 days till the big day. Crunch time for the MOB. I broke out my sewing machine this evening to make pillow covers for the lounge area. I've accumulated a large number of pillows-from floor pillow size to small throw pillows, and I've been hunting for fabrics to cover them all.

I also found four ottomans at Goodwill ($5 each) and I made a lounge seat out of a crib mattress and some plywood-I covered it with a soft throw blanket. As the bride said-it's amazing what you can do with a staple gun.

I had been trying to find sari fabrics, but was having no luck finding anything within my budget (I've already gone way over what I'd planned, but not what I'd allotted). considering most of the fabrics I'd like to use were over $20/yd, and with a couple dozen pillows-well, I could just have easily bought new at Cost Plus or Pier 1.

Then inspiration struck-I was at Goodwill hunting for some candleholders and vases when I spotted a glittery skirt. On a hunch, I stuck a pillow in it and it covered perfectly. For $2 found a pillow cover. (It was an Ann Taylor skirt, too!) Then I went hunting in the evening wear section and found all kinds of silks, satins, beaded and embellished gowns-for just a few dollars each-easily yards of fabric for pennies.

I've found some fantastic goodies for this party-and got creative with napkin rings (they make great tea light holders!) and am getting so excited to put this together for the bride and groom.

I've got crummy pics, my DS is going to take good pics for me for my 'portfolio' and after the wedding I will post them, but here is what I did with a crib mattress. I have some bolster pillows to add to it. I glued and duct taped the mattress to a piece of plywood, added some feet (left over from another project) and then stapled the throw on to it. The kids just love it and want to use it in their new home!

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

They always say "where there is a will there is a way". You are the perfect example ! And where there is love there is magic :) c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest goodwill for "fabric" from clothing to drapes to bedding...lots of good opportunities there...so glad you thought of it.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Can you please explain how this is going to be used in the wedding?

• golddust
    10 years ago

If you lived anywhere close, Aimee, you and I could equal a business. Seriously.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ellendi, there is going to be a 16x 20 covered lounge area-I'm turning it into something similar to a mandap, frequently used in Indian weddings. It's going to have casual seating, lots of pillows, rugs, etc and I've got lanterns and candeliers. I've got lots of sheers to hang on the sides also. This will be one of the low seating pieces.

Gold-I dream of doing this! I am always roped in to decorate for our Division holiday party, and I've decorated a couple of retirement parties at work-all on virtually a zero budget. I also did DD2's wedding-I love doing it for events. Couldn't do it for someone's home-since I love to do over the top-but parties, oh yeah!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I'm sure it will be a wonderland of light, candles and atmosphere, I look forward to the pictures.
    As for the candles, err on the side of too much instead of not enough, that's my motto. You can use epsom salts in practically any container and stick a votive in it, the more the merrierâ¦.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Neat! Lots of string lights. I also like the fabric "garlands" - just rope or a string of lights with fabric strips (torn, rough edges) folded over and knotted. Various lengths, but close. Have you looked on Pinterest for ideas?

Fabricguru.com has cheap yardage sometimes. But it might be cutting it too close for that.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes, we have LOTS of candles planned. Im going to use flameless in the more open holders, but everything enclosed will be wax. And lots of twinkle lights. I even found some purple ones (Brides fave color). Also have solar twinkle lights for along the aisle so no worries about hiding extension cords.

I have loads of vases & candleholders, plus mirrors for reflective surfaces. Loads of lush fabrics, velvets, sparkly, embroidered. It`ll be a feast for the senses-sight, sound, smell and touch.

• User
    10 years ago

Can't wait for more pics.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Looking good pesky. Love the lounge seat - looking forward to more pics!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I love decorating on a budget myself and am really enjoying hearing about this wedding and your wonderful ideas for the decorations! Like everyone else here, I'm anxiously looking forward to the pics. Please take lots!!!
    Lynn

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath