Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonroad

my 7 yr old cat just up and died. so sad

peytonroad
9 years ago

I just can't believe it. We were all watching tv on the couch, him on his favorite blanket beside my daughter. He then had a seizure with immediately blown pupils and with one gasp, he was gone. It was awful. My kids witnessed the whole 5- 7 secs. I am glad is was a quick death but he was not ill to me in any way.
I just read about someones cat here being euthanized by the owner (sorry, too stressed to remember who it was) and thought about how someday I would have to possibly do the same but thought I had 10 years. Recall thinking how much I loved my cat and now he is gone. We just buried him in the back yard. I had no idea I would bury my cat this evening. He had a regular day.

Comments (31)

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

peytonroad - so so sorry to hear of this. Maybe in time when the ache goes away, you'll remember that he died surrounded by loved ones, in a happy world - and then in a jiffy gone without pain. Would you share a picture of him sometime when you are able to? Take care of yourself.

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

My goodness, how sad for you and the family. I'm very sorry.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

A stroke maybe?

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts, we are okay. Thankful for the time I had my little guy.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Oh I am so sorry. It's hard to lose a pet, I know.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

Oh, so sorry. It is hard enough with an older pet, but when a younger pet dies unexpectedly, it's devastating. Will be thinking of you.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this. So unexpected with a 7-year-old cat.

I know someone where the same thing happened to him. His cat walked into the LR and had a seizure like your cat right in front of him, and that was it.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, if it's any consolation, at least he seemed to have not suffered for a long drawn out period (often the case with elderly cats).

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Peyton, I'm so sorry, as my pets (dogs) are my 'kids' and they mean the world to me. After I recently adopted Rooney, my latest rescue, the foster mom's dog, who had been sick with a cough for weeks, died the day after she brought Rooney to me.

She is certainly grieving, but rather than mourn Coco's passing, she decided that she is going to celebrate her life, and think about the wonderful times they had with her, and how much love she brought.

I thought that was a great idea; and I hope that soon you may be able to do that. Again, my sincere sympathy for what your family is going through.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh I am so sorry! What a terrible shock for everyone. But these things happen. So hard on those left behind, but at least it was quick for the little one. My deepest sympathies to the entire family.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry. Death of any kind is difficult, but completely unexpected death like this can really shake you.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

PeytonRoad, I'm so sorry. It is so hard to lose a family member. My thoughts are with you and your kids.

Beth

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

How very sad for all of you but probably frightening for your children, too. Depending on their ages, it might be a good idea to get some general information from a vet about possible causes of death so you can discuss that with them and reassure them. Kids can extrapolate frightening ideas from an experience like that. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

PeytonRoad I'm so sorry for your loss and so sad your children had to watch. I agree with dlm. I hope you can find out some possible causes so you can reassure your children and make the whole experience less frightening for them when and if you decide to get another kitty one day.

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Oh no, I'm SO sorry! I was the one who had to euthanize my cat last week so I understand, to a certain extent, how you feel. However, I had time to prepare and knew that it was coming (as we all do at some point, I suppose). What a shock to lose your cat at that age. And I'm sorry that you and your kids had to witness her last moments so unexpectedly. I hope they are doing okay.

It's never an easy time to lose a loved one. My thoughts are with you as you grieve. I hope that you receive some comfort here as I did.

• OllieJane
    9 years ago

So sorry! I know, it seems like we would have our cats a very long time, that would be shocking. Again, so sorry.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Oh so sorry to hear this and what an upsetting event. My XH's dog did something similar. It literally dropped dead. In fact, I saw a human do that once on a city street, not something I ever want to see again. Sad and shocking.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

So sorry for your loss. Take care.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I am so sorry. That must have been so traumatizing for you and your children. Sending comforting thoughts.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    9 years ago

So sorry. Our pets are regular members of the family. May your dear cat's loving charm and personality live on in your memories. (((hugs)))

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Sorry for your loss.

• samhain10 - 5a
    9 years ago

Condolences to you and your family, and to fourkids4us, whose thread we followed, though never commented. We have 4 indoor cats, plus we are caretakers for an outside feral colony. All the indoor girls and boy are still young, no older than 4, but the outside crew vary, and we've lost some of them in the past year. Not easy even when they are the "wild" ones. I also agree with dlm2000 that it might be helpful to get some opinion from the vet as to possible causes. It may make the loss easier for the kids to take, if they feel they have an understanding of "why?"

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

What a horrible thing, I am so, so sorry. They are our family.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Oh!!! How horrible!

I am so very sorry for your loss -- and of course -- we grieve with you and your family!

Sending along hugs to all!

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a fur baby. Hugs to you and your family,

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Words can't express how sorry I am. You and your kids are probably still in shock after that. It is so hard to watch your pets suffer and not be able to help. The same thing happened with our first dog but we thought it was a heart attack.

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the warm responses. I feel the support of these posts. He was such a great little companion and I think I am the one that misses him the most. I talked to the vet who seems to think it was not a seizure but sudden death due to a clot. I guess the only sign seen in these sick cats is the sudden death, that is the sign that reveals the cardiomyopathy. Check your kitties! My guy was healthy without a murmur and there was no chance undetected in survival. I even miss him sitting here at my keyboard as read thru Garden web. Amazing how much animals give us!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss peytonroad. :(

• springroz
    9 years ago

Aww, I am so sorry to hear about your cat...I have lost 2 barn kitties in the last month to idiopathic vestibular disease, and I am nursing one of the house cats with it.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet! So hard.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor