Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Big favor: What besides Mohonk Hotel?

Can any of my Yankee pals here help me find a family vacation resort for Christmas that's an easy car trip from NYC? ( or Greenwich Ct.) . With the added cost for many of us flying from the "left coast" during the $$$ holidays, the Mohonk is pricy at approx. $700 per night for just one of the group. Granted, its all inclusive...pretty much. Kids range from 6 to 16.
TIA !!
Marti

Comments (28)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I would like to add that I think Mohonk is not worth the money. The food is mediocre and a lot of the place is not charming-old, its run-down-old. The setting, is, I admit, quite lovely.

How far will you drive and how big is the group? Should I assume you also don't want to be too close to Greenwich, ie want a get away? What do you want to do?

Maybe the Emerson in the Hudson Valley, and then go skiing too?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hershey Hotel might also be a good choice, but it may be too far from CT...

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, MTN, I hoped you'd see this. We'll have ten. The children consist of three elementary school age and one teen. We've rented homes, but thought a resort over Christmas , with activities for the kids, would be good. Skiing not necessary, as ski trip following in Feb. The " Yankees ;) can depart from Greenwich or nyc, and would like no more than four hours, tops, for driving time. The Mohonk also sounds a tad stuffy?
    I'll look at your suggestions, and hope you, and others may have more. I am soooo grateful for any help. I am the worlds worst vacation-site finder , but have the most time, so.....:( thanks so much, MTN !
    Anyone else ?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Want to add that the emphasis should be on Family, vs. spas, cocktails, etc. My ideal dream of a winter resort would be a Ralph Lauren-ish rustic lodge with planned family and kid( teens, too) activities, game rooms, beautiful scenery...that sort of thing. Good food, a roaring fire somewhere...well, does such a place exist within our parameters ? Not that all the above are necessary.

• thankurnmo
    9 years ago

I have never been, and not sure how Ralph Lauren refined this place might be, but I know I do hear of lots of families going and enjoying. (plenty of activities for kids etc).. Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Wolf

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I have not been in awhile but this place was lovely

Here is a link that might be useful: Skytop

• localeater
    9 years ago

I've never been, but many acquaintances have suggested Woodloch Pines in the Poconos.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I would look at Lake George, Saratoga, Southern Vermont or the Berkshires. I have stayed at some nice places in Lake Placid but that's about 5 hours from NY. The Sagamore in Lake George is supposed to be nice but some of the reviews aren't great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sagamore

This post was edited by deee on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 7:56

• awm03
    9 years ago

Here are some more ideas:
    a few hours from NYC

I haven't stayed at Skytop, but it seemed very nice when we popped in for a look.

This place looks like it might be good. They have winter packages that include tubing, skiing, ice skating, & horseback riding:
    Winter Clove Inn

• sas95
    9 years ago

I agree that Mohonk is meh. I was there for a corporate retreat. Food is abysmal and the rooms are not all renovated.

Since I don't have kids, I can't vouch for this personally, but several coworkers have gone to Rocking Horse Ranch in the Hudson Valley and really liked it. It's another all inclusive, and in the area you want to be commute-wise.

Rocking Horse Ranch

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Honestly, I have often wondered why there are not more (good) choices, given the huge target market. Great Wolf is very popular (I've never been) but to me it looks like a total subjugation to kids' desires. Not sure if you want that. Sumggler's Notch in VT is similar in that regard.

I have also heard good things about Woodloch Pines, but never been.

Twin Farms in Barnard VT is gorgeous, but pricey; I am not sure if any of their cottages sleep 10; that might bring down the per person cost.

I'm still racking my brain, but my inclination is either Hershey (tons to do and very nice) or else I'd go to Montreal or Quebec City. Of course that is like 5-7 hours (but a quick flight).

Original Author
    9 years ago

"...Great Wolf is very popular (I've never been) but to me it looks like a total subjugation to kids' desires. Not sure if you want that."
    Yes, MTN. I looked at that and felt the same. Yuk. So I'll revise my wish list again to drop the "kids activities " request, as in planned, to simply a need for nice rec area with p.pong, games, etc.
    You all are the best. Thank you ! Now I'll go look at your suggestions. Back later.:) marti

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

We have been to both Skytop and Hershey hotel. We did a wilderness adventure outdoor course at Skytop w/ zip lines, etc. and it was fun. Hotel was very nice, expansive grounds, OK spa. Hershey has a wonderful spa and daily activities. However, not having kids, my qualified opinion would be that kids would find more to do at Skytop/ in the Poconos than at the Hershey hotel. Although I think Hershey Park does do a nice Christmas lights thing.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

The Inn at East Hill Farm in NH is verrrrry casual, not sure if you're looking for something higher end, but we have been twice with kids in your age range and we all had fun. Lots of activities (snow shoeing, x-country skiing, s'mores over the fire) and lots of hands-on visiting with farm animals. Meals are included and fairly basic but good.

We also stayed at the Equinox Resort in VT in the winter several years ago. I remember sledding, borrowing board games from the front desk, shopping at nearby outlets, and eating at some good, casual restaurants in the area.

Original Author
    9 years ago

If MTN says it " might be pricy", you know you'd best gird your loins! :)
    I will post pix of Barnard twin farms, but this little snippet gives a clue:

"Twin Farms founder Thurston Twigg-Smith discovered this 19th century Appalachian homestead and had it shipped it to Barnard. He then restored it with fine cabinetry and a modern soaking tub, shower, granite surfaces, and intricate twig work. Hand hewn hickory and oak support an exuberant dog theme around a river-rock fireplace. A rope hammock on the enclosed porch surrounded with quiet wooded views frees the imagination and kindles intimacy.
    Haven't yet dared to check cost.

Original Author
    9 years ago

One of the several cottages: " tented ceilings and Persian rugs". I know, just for fun, let's all guess the price per night.
    Sorry these are multi post.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sigh !

Original Author
    9 years ago

That Ralph Lauren- ish cottage. Bigger sigh.

Original Author
    9 years ago

...kid friendly dining! :) :)
    Quiz time. No cheating!

Okay. For all inclusive, my guess is $1500 per night.

Original Author
    9 years ago

...give you all a big enough thanks?! You have all offered so many great suggestions. I am book marking several for future trips, as some look so perfect for other seasons. What a thoughtful, giving bunch we have here.
    Hopefully, this may be helping others, who may have ideas, too.
    Don't forget the guessing contest. :)
    Marti

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Martinca, another place to bookmark is the Woodstock Inn in Woodstock, VT. I am a native of Los Angeles and it was always a treat to spend the Christmas holiday there. It's about a 5 hour trip from NYC.

One of my favorite places is Blantyre in Lenox, MA. It wouldn't meet your needs for this trip, but I'd definitely check it out for future trips.

I have never been to Twin Farms. It's gorgeous. I would think the room rates for the cottages you posted would be around $2000. I think I will have to hide my credit card from myself :-)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

OOh, I'm going to the Woodstock Inn in 2 weeks! Can't wait. (No kids, 3 girlfriends, woohoo.)

• suz16
    9 years ago

Red Lion Inn in the Berkshires is nice. They have cottages and houses too. Museums and activities of all kinds in the area. I go through this same hell every year for christmas vacay. Everyone tells me to plan the whole thing, and then everyone weighs in with their objections. My default setting has always been Puerto Rico. Quick trip- warm. Canada can get really bitter cold
    at Christmas. Maybe Cape May, but kiddies might get bored, although they do have all sorts of events scheduled. Still is cold and windy on the water.
    Mohonk is beautiful, but they use quaintness and snobbery as a cover for out of date accommodations and food that's just meh. It attracts quite a crowd of from overseas however, and lately to me seems like a Disney version of a Swiss Chalet.

• suz16
    9 years ago

Red Lion Inn in the Berkshires is nice. They have cottages and houses too. Museums and activities of all kinds in the area. I go through this same hell every year for christmas vacay. Everyone tells me to plan the whole thing, and then everyone weighs in with their objections. My default setting has always been Puerto Rico. Quick trip- warm. Canada can get really bitter cold
    at Christmas. Maybe Cape May, but kiddies might get bored, although they do have all sorts of events scheduled. Still is cold and windy on the water.
    Mohonk is beautiful, but they use quaintness and snobbery as a cover for out of date accommodations and food that's just meh. It attracts quite a crowd of from overseas however, and lately to me seems like a Disney version of a Swiss Chalet.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Take a look at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT. It's lovely:
    http://www.trappfamily.com/

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

To me, Red Lion Inn and Trapp etc etc all have the same issue as Mohonk; a bit rundown and uninspired food for high prices. In other words, they are no better or worse than Mohonk IMHO.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

If you are open to the Berkshires, we have stayed with large groups at the Cranwell Resort and Spa in Lenox, MA. It's terrific for families and has a really great indoor pool with super big glass windows that let lots of sunlight in. Good spa, exercise room, x-country skiing and ice skating, pretty decent food on the property and nearby. The individual rooms range in price but there are several large A frame townhouses on the property that have kitchens, living rooms, etc. You can rent an entire house and it would sleep 8-10 I think. Near downhill skiing too.

• peegee
    9 years ago

I still like Mohonk : (

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz