Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethpen

Ghosties and Mediums oh my!

Bethpen
10 years ago

I was glad that SueB saw Maureen Hancock too. The first time I went I wanted to stand on the street and tell everyone that they need to go. I didn't get read that day, but my friend did and it was amazing what she knew. I suddenly felt so much better about life and what comes next.

My DH's brother was killed in a boating accident in 1979 when he was 22. His parent's have also since passed. I dragged him to a big group Maureen Hancock event about 10 months ago. She turned to our area and said, "Does someone have a young man who drowned?" DH and another woman raised their hands. She looked at the other woman and said, "No, it was a long time ago". She came to DH and said, "He fell off something". He said, "Yes." She said, " Your parents have passed too?" He said "yes" Then she said, "Your dad is here, he is uncomfortable with this, it isn't his thing. Your mother is here and she is going to speak. Whether we like it or not!" She said they wanted to talk about the business that we run (which was theirs before) and the new business that we were starting. She brought up a lot of details, but then she took DH's hands and looked him square in the eye and said, "what they really want you to know is that they are SO proud of you". She couldn't have said anything more meaningful to him. We both cried like babies.

She also knew about my cousin, who had tragically died in a drug/alcohol accident. She took my hands and told me to tell his mother he is OK. (she doesn't buy it).

We took my Mom to a really small venue reading in June. Some ladies from work went too. My cousin, who tragically committed suicide five years ago came through. Maureen asked us to stay after the show to talk. She knew that his suicide was sort of an "accident" and that the "medicine" he was taking may have had contributed to his death. She knew his daughter's name. Asked me to tell his Mom he is OK. She then mentioned DH's family again...more details, and also told my Mom that her brother was with her. Maureen thought at first he was her husband. She said he is taking care of her. DH's brother said that he'd be a guardian angel. Then suddenly Maureen looked at my Mom and said, "Is there someone you were expecting to connect with tonight?" My mom said no. Maureen said, "well, your mom is here and I think she really expected you'd want to know she is OK'. It was cute because Maureen sort of used my Grandma's voice.

At the big venue, all of a sudden Maureen looked up and said, "UM, there is a Boxer here. He's brindle and has a white chest and he's with a BIG German Shepherd." That perfectly describes my Rocket who had passed, and DH's family GSD. I think that may have been my favorite part.

I would go to these events all the time if I could. The hardest ones are the ones when young men and women come back who have died from drug overdoses. Maureen is trying to start some sort of team to speak to schools about addiction. I think her message would really speak to a young audience. I work in a health care facility and in our neck of the woods it is epidemic. Heartbreaking.
We had bought our kids tix to go to the last show, but they both couldn't make it. I will make them go!

That's my story!

Beth P.

Comments (11)

• chispa
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are the tickets bought anonymously? Do they ask for your name, address or any identifying information before the shows?

There was a video last year of a "medium" who guessed lots of information from strangers that walked in. They then showed a whole team of computer geeks in the back room, getting information as the person revealed their name, etc. The "medium" had an earpiece to get the data from his team. The video was done more to show younger people that they put way too much information online, but I wouldn't trust a show that had people's names beforehand.

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought the tickets, but there is no way they'd know who I was bringing. DH's brother's death was a long time ago, you'd have to dig pretty deep to find out about it. Also, there is NO way she'd know about my cousins.

BethP

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

My SIL saw Maureen Hancock at a group event. Her daughter (who has a different last name) bought the tickets but couldn't go, so gave them to her mother. So there was no record of my SIL's name. Maureen said very specific things about my MIL, as well as a family member who had recently died at age 17. She also said something to my BIL about his deceased father -- can't remember exactly, but it had something to do with fireflies. After the show, BIL walked out to the edge of the parking lot, which was bordered by woods, and encountered a huge swarm of fireflies.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The how-to of mediumship...

There was a program on TV once where the guy, a skeptic, had a "reading" but where he provided absolutely no feedback. He said nothing one way or the other...no nodding, no uh-huh-ing, nothing. It became increasingly apparent that without the feedback, the medium was absolutely floundering and had no real anything to contribute. She even admitted that it was very hard for her to do it given his lack of response. Theoretically, if she had some real messages coming through, they'd be able to be delivered with or without the person's cooperation.

Like a consultant, they borrow your watch to tell you what time it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tricks of the psychic trade

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Here's a link to an article about another tell all book by one of the charlatans.

I guess the thing is, if it is real, if there are people who do have some gift, they're rarity is swamped by charlatans... much like the voice of a one true innocent man on death row being swamped by those of his surrounding liars.

And my experience is no medium is needed....I've had enough direct signs in my life...or at least I experience them as that...that the messages will come through loud and clear, first hand. No intermediary required.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pro Medium Repents for Life of Con

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Hi Annie, while I agree that there are many many fakes out there it is true that the people who are being read to can block the channel.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Sorry, jterri, but that just sounds like a cover-up mediums use for when they fail....you just don't believe enough for it to work so it's your fault...not the medium's, not the process.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I agree it can be and is used as a cover-up often. However, one really can block it out if they don't want to be read. All it takes is a little concentration.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Just to play devil's advocate, if you believe the mediums, their information is coming from "the other side," so it wouldn't matter what the person on earth is trying to block out.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I am skeptical too but if it brings people comfort to talk about their deceased relatives what's the harm? The only problem I can see is if someone was going into debt to get readings.

Everyone has a right to spend their own hard earned money on things that are important to them.

• leafy02
    10 years ago

I agree that people have the right to spend their money how they choose, but I also think that it's creepy and unethical to tell people you are communicating with their dead relatives when you're really using cold reading techniques to suss out what they want to hear.

I think most of these fake psychics justify their greed by saying that they bring people comfort, but an honest conversation about what your dear departed would want for you (protection, forgiveness or to extend forgiveness, your happiness) etc can have the same effect without the lies.

And if you're mourning someone who would not want you to have those comforts, you should probably be talking to an entirely different kind of professional.

Derren Brown provides a great example of his cold reading techniques towards the end of his TV program "Messiah", which is viewable in its entirely on YouTube. His performance is very convincing to the audience members getting a reading, but he says himself he has zero psychic abilities and is using psychology, misdirection, showmanship and suggestion to be convincing.