Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

An amazing weight loss success story

luckygal
10 years ago

Just found "this site" which may inspire some to succeed with their weight loss.

Comments (22)

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

I breezed through the site - and yes, quite the inspiration. Too bad so many people are told they are going to die before they do something about their weight. However, he had a huge initial loss - something like 180# in a year, which is about 3.5# a week. Sometimes that huge of a quick loss is a real shock to the body. I hope he is under doctors' care.
    I have read the thread on bariatric. People feel that will solve the problem. It is a very dangerous surgery, as all surgeries on the morbidly obese are. It has long term consequences and a temporary solution for many, as the stomach muscle just stretches out again.
    I am trying to lose about 15 more pounds, for a total of about 25 - 30. As I am going through my closets (see wardrobe thread) ---- I found at least 10 "diet" books. Obviously, none of them worked or I wouldn't be facing 15# now!!!
    One of my sons is a surgeon. He said he would never, ever do bariatric. He said he could write the ultimate diet book ---"Eat Less, Exercise More" --- that is key.
    I hope this gentleman continues on his journey - and stays healthy for his wife and his children - and most importantly, for himself.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Of course, if it were easy to eat less and exercise more, no one would have a weight issue. I think it was Cher who said, if a body like this came in a bottle, then everyone would have one....

Very interesting work being done in epigenetics which is about how genes are turned on and turned off. So while we all have a single set of genes, not all of them are expressed and that has an impact on our bodies. Preliminary work being done with mice suggests that mothers who experience malnutrition during pregnancy are far more likely to have offspring who are obese because of the chemicals produced which turn genes on or off.

So we used to say that obesity had a genetic component, so how could genes change in a generation or two to create so much obesity? Can't it only be cultural with the types and amounts of food available and a loss of personal discipline? Evolution and the human genome don't change that quickly....

Well, maybe not. If people can be malnourished despite high calorie load...and they can...then perhaps those same chemicals are at work yielding the expression of genes that lean towards obesity.

Not that this is an excuse to say that if it's genetic, then it's ok. It isn't. The medical issues associated with obesity don't go away just because it's genetic in nature. But it may be another pathway to a tool to help people maintain healthy weight.

I find epigenetics very exciting...there's hope to understanding chemical pathways that may turn things like cancer cells on and off too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nutrition and the Epigenome

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Annie, I never meant to imply that "Eat less, exercise more" is easy. Sorry if I came across that way. If it were that easy, I would not be struggling right now. I have carried these excess 25# for a long time and have finally made the decision to do something about it. I am having a really hard time, struggling every day. It is a long, slow process and definitely a lifestyle change. I do believe genetics play a role. My husband and two of my sons are very thin. My other son has always struggled with his weight. He has to work much harder than the other to in order to maintain a healthy weight.
    Weight loss and weight maintenance is a lifelong struggle for some of us.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

A lot of it has to do with the types of food we eat (not meaning junk foods like fats sugar, salt..), as well as their quality. Check out J.J, Virgin, Dr. Furhman, Dr. Amen (discusses diet and gene expression), Dr. Hyman. They show up on PBS. Dr. Vad is also very interesting, on arthritis.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I saw that guy on the national news earlier this week. They were featuring his success.

I don't believe that weight loss is all about eat less, exercise more. At least not for everyone. Some people have metabolic issues, etc. Hormones can also play havoc with your weight. Snookums makes a good point also.

tina

• Vertise
    10 years ago

They are also manipulating our food sources, which "pollutants" transfer over to us. For example, corn and hormones to fatten up cows is stored in their fat/bodies, so when we eat them, it fattens us up also. I have heard it said that the fat in grass fed beef is as healthy as that in fish.

There is also discussion on how produce has been manipulated so much that we have bred the nutrients and flavor right out of them. The loss of nutrients affects our weight, even though they are health foods. I will say that I've tried some of those heirloom tomatoes and wow they are packed with flavor! I like that they're ugly too, lol. Feels so exotic.

Sugar in everything, including health foods. It's poison. And cancer feeds on sugar.

Wheat also has a natural chemical in it that stimulates the appetite.

Bad calories are not the same as good calories. A 2000 calorie diet can have different effects, depending on what's in it. That's not to say we shouldn't watch our calories but that it is not quite as simple as that. So you might actually be able to eat more, not have to eat less, which can be terribly hard and lead to binging. Eat as many vegetables and fruit as you want.

So, just as it always has been, eat your fruits and vegetables, lol. Good health does = diet and exercise. But it's important to understand more about our food and its sources in our industrialized society.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

I agree that some people have other issues that can affect weight loss/gain.
    I never meant to simplify this by my "eat less" comment. Eat less means eating less of the foods we should not be eating and eating less calories. If we start skipping all of the processed foods and opt for natural, we automatically are gong to be eating less (calories).
    Pesky1, I agree with you 100%. There might be the same # of calories in a donut as in oatmeal with strawberries, but our bodies will process the oatmeal better. If a donut has 500 calories, we could eat 2 donuts a day perhaps, and lost weight. I am sure we would feel awful!! In this country we have created foods that no human should be eating - and they are marketed so very well. They are made to taste better and better with HFCS and salt. No wonder we have problems. Losing weight is not easy - if it were, I wouldn't be struggling right now. Some people lose (or don't gain) easier than others. For me it is so hard, but like you, Pesky1, I am determined this time. I don't have far to go, but would like to go down a size or two. Every day is a struggle because I am a carb-junkie, plain and simple, I love carbs - so sugar, flour, I'm there. Good luck!! Keep trying!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Eating less might just have meant watching those super sized portions we have become accustomed to. Even if we try at home, we are served ridiculous portion sizes when we eat out. Parties over-feed as well -- and it's all junk! I don't think I've ever been offered healthy food outside my house, lol.

When you get the white stuff (and the other sugars like corn syrup), out of your diet, the cravings will stop. Being exposed to them all around us is difficult, but the cravings do go away once you eliminate them at home. Eating lots of produce will also curb cravings. There are other foods to love. And binge on when you must, lol.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 18:30

• Vertise
    10 years ago

A couple other pointers I recall.

Dr. Amen says that when we gain weight, our brains actually shrink. So it's not just your waistline and diseases that are affected!

Dr. Vad says that for every pound you weigh, times it by four what impacts your joints when you walk. So even at a slight 100 pounds, that knee is taking a 400 pound hit with each step. Amazing!

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

I have been off of "white" stuff and sugar for several months now - not that I don't have a relapse now and then. The cravings have not gone away. If I had a bag of DanDee potato chips and a few Pepsis and some M&Ms (like a pound), I would be in heaven!! I keep trying. It is such a slow process and the older we get, the worse it is.
    I watch thinner people eat - like my doc son and his wife. They will eat - and eat everything --- but for instance, when desserts are served (and in my family, that means there are six choices), they will have one and that is it. One of my DIL's is a super thin size 0. She just doesn't like sweets, may have a bite or two - that's it. I wish I either had the self control or just didn't like sweets!
    My son's GF is very heavy - and she will come here and down three cans of soda, plus as many potatoes as she can get on her plate. And she does not move at all. She has a real problem.
    This is a really slow process - and I don't have that far to go. I no longer eat any breads --- but can't totally give up wine - or pasta - smaller portions, but still it is a "white".

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Green I am with you on the white stuff. I have cut down and limit myself, but it is hard to completely do away with, especially when you have a sweet tooth. I do know that I feel much better when I eat less of the white stuff.

tina

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I find substitutes work well.

We essentially eat no white bread, but we do eat whole grain. I now find most white breads, well, white bread. Not very interesting. I used to love a hard roll...now they are the most boring things in the world. I'm looking for complexity in my bread when I have it. And the whole grains are more filling so you can eat less and be satisfied.

I also eat "magic pops" instead of bread. I spread it with peanut butter or make a sandwich on one...at 15 calories, it is a huge saving. If we eat pasta, it is whole grain or it is barilla pasta plus.

I love chocolate, but if it's in the house, I have little control. Instead I keep peppermint patties in the fridge. They are a little bit of chocolate and intense flavor, but not so wonderful that I have no control. I can eat just one.

And make sure you are getting some fat in your diet as it is essential for good health and keeps you from feeling hungry.

Also switch to smaller plates. It really does work...if you are interested in reading more about how we fool ourselves (or are fooled by the food business) into eating more, check out the work done by Brian Wansink on mindless eating...he's got some eye opening research.

Here is a link that might be useful: magic pops

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Be sure to check all the labels for hidden sources of things like white stuff, corn, wheat, corn syrup and other sugars. They are in everything. That, and cheating at close enough intervals, could keep the cravings going.

Substitutes are worth trying. I'm using Joy brown rice pasta and it is a good replacement. Another brand was mushy and odd but this one worked. Whether brown rice is the best choice I'm not sure anymore at this point, lol, but it would still appear to be a better choice.

I would suggest the Virgin food elimination test. At least fast for a few days. That really helps to reset the system too!

A new PBS doctor that has his the circuit is Dr. Liponis. He believes there are two body metabolisms. Farmer and Hunter. If you don't eat appropriately for your body type, you will still gain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Liponis

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 12:17

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I chose to go gluten free, not because of Celiac, but because of thyroid issues. I have found a complete change in my body since then, and if I do eat something containing wheat, I definitely feel it shirtly afterward.

I am Italian. Pasta and bread are an integral part of my life, but I have given up bread and switched to brown rice pasta. I dont really miss bread anymore, as Ive learned to substitute other things.

I eat much more quinoa, and organic polenta. Also more rice (brown or forbidden). When I crave sweets I usually eat some fruit, but I will give in on occasion and have sime fat free whipped topping or some greek yogurt with honey.

Im trying to adopt a cultural diet-eating more Thai, Indian and Mexican...lots of veggies and spices. Ive found if my mouth is hot from some curry or siracha, i am not so hungry later!

Beans! Theyre your friend. A bit of baby mozarella with EVOO and kalmata olives makes a delish lunch. Add frsh romatoes & basil if you chose. Absolutely no deprivation!

In my WW meeting last night the topis was portion size, and folks were discussing Hambuger Helper!!! Really? Id eaten rice, beans, veggies & salsa for dinner-could eat twice the portion size for half the calories! Its all about the food (fuel) you put in your body.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Hamburger Helper is crap not worth putting in your body!

Yes, we do the whole grains (pasta, bread, etc.) but there are still things that get to me! SWEETS. I am like Annie on chocolate - but I probably could not keep that bag of chocolate mints in the fridge - because I would not stop at one.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Annie, I have tried the magic pops - in fact too many. This winter prior to waiting for gall bladder surgery, I ate 0 fat - nothing. I figured if I was going to have another attack (and I did), it was not going to be because I had just eaten a burger and fries. I ate bags of magic pops, plain, with jelly, however. I need to leave those alone right now!!
    Tina, I am with you on the chocolate. I could never have peppermint patties or anything else here. I have a good friend who has a square of dark chocolate every evening after dinner. I could never have it here - would be gone!
    Pesky, what "recipes" can you share - or direct me to some books you are using. -- or do you just throw things together?? If so, what kinds of beans, etc.
    One thing I just did that I think will keep my momentum going --- I had a few minutes today between appts. and stopped at Kohl's. I am typically not a Kohl's shopper, but it was there. I tried on pants - and can say, I am down a full size. That made me feel really good!! I didn't buy anything, but knew my current pants are quite loose and just wanted to see if I could drop a size lower. That made my day!!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The doctors I mentioned above all have recipes available, online and in books.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Thanks. I will check it out. I have the hardest time with lunch, so am looking for some variety.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

No-green,

Chickpeas are an amazing versatile bean: Baked falafel (love the recipe from appetite for reduction but I add more heat to her recipe), chickpea salad, instead of topping a salad with chicken you can use chickpeas, a bowl of quinoa with chickpeas and spinach in a light capper studded sauce... I also love cannelini or northern beans. Cannelini are great thrown in salads or soups.

Ooh and lentils! Dals are amazingly filling and delicious. You can make lentil taco, lentil stuffed cabbage rolls, lentil shepherds pie, I substitute lentils for many traditional dishes that call for ground meat or pork. Lentil loaf, lentil bolognese over quinoa noodles or spaghetti squash...

There is a great cookbook out : http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Vegan-Bean-Book/dp/1592335497

And you may want to check out this site too: http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/food-entrees/main-beans-legumes/

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I love black beans. I buy the reduced sodium canned beans. I also use garbanzos a lot. I just add beans to salads, or I use them whole in burritos or tacos. Also white beans...i love virtually all beans but lima beans. I use canned, just dont have time to cook up dried beans.

A tasty meal I just made was poaching chicken breast with Ro-Tel tomatoes (with onions & peppers. Once cooked, I shredded the chicken, added a bag of frozen southwest veggie mix (corn, black beans, onions & peppers), 2 cups pre-cooked brown rice and a jar of mild salsa. Let it simmer & heat up. Added a touch of salt and ate it up. Made enoughfor dinner for DH and I plus 2 lunches each.

Next to try is a garbanzo bean & tomato sauce Indian dish I ate recently.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot, Iheart and Pesky. More variety is such a good thing! I am getting so tired of salads - even though I try to add variety to them. I will look up those cookbooks as well.